Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fremen Fortress: Dune mod brainstorming  (Read 2812 times)

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fremen Fortress: Dune mod brainstorming
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2018, 05:08:52 pm »

the common wisdom about "these tags will always fight and these will always ally" doesn't seem to be actually true, goblins will be at peace with dwarves at least sometimes, and elves will sometimes be at war with dwarves without the player needing to do anything

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2018, 05:18:48 pm »

Can you actually change the ethical spheres of disagreement? For example:

Vanilla DF: peoples go to war over the morality of cutting trees, eating sentients, torture, slavery

Fremen Fortress: Disagreements arise over... use of water? Necessity of freedom? Social structures? Religious stuff?
One wheel short of a wagon

SpeardwarfErith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2018, 07:49:00 pm »

It's all about ethics. In vanilla, those ethics are often the source of conflict because they are the most controversial ones. For example, dwarves see eating of sapients as unthinkable, so they will naturally fight the elves over it.

You can play around with this by setting different ethics to be strong points of contention, ie making fremen think making trophies out of creatures is an unfathomable waste, while the harkonnens think it's a great thing.
The swordsman Smoma Acaltekud: Hello Ago. Life is, in a word, death.
The swordsman Smoma Acaltekud stabs you in the lower body with his iron scimitar, tearing apart the muscle and tearing apart the left kidney!
The iron scimitar has lodged firmly in the wound!

Battle Royale Mode: A DFHack Script

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2018, 03:37:22 am »

But you can't change the actual ethics themselves, or create new ones like: [BATHE_IN_WATER:UNTHINKABLE] and [MURDER_FAMILY:NECESSARY]?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2018, 06:27:26 am »

There aren't too many ethics to work with, but there are a great many values, which include things like family and freedom.  I don't know what could be a stand in for wasting water, perhaps NATURE, since valuing nature in its traditional sense is kind of a non-issue on Arrakis.

SpeardwarfErith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2018, 10:29:24 am »

Do civs go to war over values though?
The swordsman Smoma Acaltekud: Hello Ago. Life is, in a word, death.
The swordsman Smoma Acaltekud stabs you in the lower body with his iron scimitar, tearing apart the muscle and tearing apart the left kidney!
The iron scimitar has lodged firmly in the wound!

Battle Royale Mode: A DFHack Script

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2018, 11:47:15 pm »

But you can't change the actual ethics themselves, or create new ones like: [BATHE_IN_WATER:UNTHINKABLE] and [MURDER_FAMILY:NECESSARY]?
You can't. Modding isn't magic.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2018, 03:57:42 am »

Pity. I know the ones in-game are tied to actual behaviours, but it wouldn't have been too difficult to leave a space in the raws for empty ones.

Flying mounts are a thing now, aren't they? So you could possibly put in the flying vehicles used by the Harkonnens... I remember a specially memorable scene in which a Fremen warrior uses kamikazi tactics to destroy a Harkonnen troop carries. Don't know if mount AIs would be convincing enough as vehicles, but it's worth a shot.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2018, 09:15:33 am »

Flying AI is pretty bugged. :/
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2018, 02:33:08 pm »

Watching this thread with great interest!

Yes, water will be ultra-rare. Alcohol won't be included at all, because it doesn't fit in thematically to have them all be alcoholics.

You are wrong when you say spice isn't needed for survival though. One of its main properties is that it's extremely addictive, and for anyone who is addicted enough withdrawal leads to certain death. The fremen are so spiced up that they are all too reliant on it to go without. That's why I thought it would fit well thematically as alcohol.
The issue is that both spice and water are critical for survival, but making spice into alcohol removes much of the need for water and vice versa. Maybe this can be balanced by making "spice water" or something that acts as alcohol and is made from water and spice?

You could handle spice addiction and withdrawal effects as follows: give melange a SYN_INGESTED syndrome which increases in concentration with repeated doses and has a set duration, like the alcohol inebriation syndrome in vanilla. Then write a simple script which periodically checks each Fremen on the map for the syndrome in question (read through the active units list checking for units which are alive, non-ghostly and of your target race (and maybe caste). You could also carry out a citizenship check, unless you want visitors to be affected too). If the spice syndrome is absent, or drops below a target concentration, have the script apply the withdrawal effects, either directly or by calling syndrome-util to add a withdrawal syndrome.

You could also make melange impart two separate syndromes: the temporary one described above and an additional permanent syndrome, using the latter as another indicator of spice addiction when scanning through units. The advantage of this would be that any unit which consumes melange at some point in their life would be labelled as an addict for the purpose of applying withdrawal effects. A race check as described above could be used simultaneously to ensure that Fremen are always considered to be addicts, regardless of whether or not they've consumed melange in-play.

The problem with all this is that it's not possibly to directly enforce the selective consumption of a substance when several food sources are available, which might lead to a ton of kitchen micromanagement. One way to alleviate this might be to create a custom cooking reaction (there used to be scripts for this, if I recall correctly) which always requires spice as an ingredient when preparing meals.
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2018, 12:57:32 pm »

I'm glad someone else is trying this. I've tried to make a dune mod for years, but i always lose the motivation or don't have the time,so good luck,and i will definitely play this mod =).
-changing the environment isnt that far off,since the freman started out with the plan to teraform arakis,and were hoarding water to that end (though i think that was revealed in the later books)
-freman did have the ability to dig,given that they mostly lived underground in bedrock to protect from the weather and sandworms
-as for other civs,what about the Ix? i know they never had more then spies on dune,but it wouldnt hurt to add them to fill out the world for the game.they would likely have both itemthief and babysnatcher,and could have some form of shapeshifting ability as well as superior tech

08:43 PM The wild animals and insects sang a merry tune and the trees performed a dance. I know you're trying to cheer me up, Vishnu, but that was actually a bit creepy.-Rhons
Pages: 1 [2]