Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 33

Author Topic: Inkling Research Facility - Splatoon Arms Race (Spring, Year 3)  (Read 31547 times)

Emral282

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Inkling Research Facility - Splatoon Arms Race (Spring, Year 0)
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2018, 08:19:30 pm »

Heavy Ink Tank
A simple yet effective modification to the Mark 1 Ink Tank, the Heavy Ink Tank is properly named. Its increased size gives this variant both greater storage space for Ink as well as greater weight. While not as useful to Inkantry on the move, the utility of being able to take more shots before having to refill on the defensive cannot be understated.
Mark 1.1 Ink Tank:
Fresh Decals:
Montage Music:
Heavy Ink Tank: Emral282
My thought for the Heavy Ink Tank is to make a Heavy Splatling later on to go with it for a defensive loadout
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 08:26:05 pm by Emral282 »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2018, 07:14:01 am »

That's not much help right now though. Our Movement Speed is higher thanks to the training. Slowing us down isn't a good idea.

Also, Fresh Decal is my vote.

Emral282

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2018, 11:13:44 am »

The Heavy Ink Tank probably isn't going to replace the Mark 1 Ink Tank unless we get a max roll or something. As I said, the Heavy is there for more defensive situations where high mobility isn't as important as well as letting us make more Ink Hungry weapons like a Heavy Splatling. It's not like we're instantly going to war after this turn anyways.
It also gets us experience with Ink storage tech which will be helpful in a lot of ways.
Mark 1.1 Ink Tank:
Fresh Decals: TricMagic
Montage Music:
Heavy Ink Tank: Emral282

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2018, 11:16:55 am »

A strong start is important though'

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2018, 11:23:15 am »

If we wanted to go for the gatling inker, I'd say revise the bamboozler for limited and shitty automatic fire. It gets us the experience toward the gatling and it gives us a momentary edge.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2018, 11:28:18 am »

Why does everyone want to have us make a worse start?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2018, 11:33:22 am »

Why do you feel that a rhetorical question will make your point more convincing?

Mark 1.1 Ink Tank: [1] Draignean
Fresh Decals:
Montage Music:
Heavy Ink Tank: [1] Emral282
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2018, 11:37:35 am »

Why do you feel that a rhetorical question will make your point more convincing?

Fresh Decals: [1] TricMagic
Montage Music:

nkantry : Brave Inklings, run through basic training and drilled repeatedly in weapon use and other skills needed on the modern battlefield. The Inkantry not only know how to use a gun, but also hold a basic understanding of the concepts of planning, crossfires, flanking maneuvers, and actually communicating with each other, and have superior running and swimming speed from all those athletic drills. They're still fairly basic soldiers, but they actually are soldiers now.

Shouldn't need to make my point. This makes it for me.

Reducing us to defending when we can swim up the walls and flank the defenders will net us an advantage. Save the equipment for Design Phase.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2018, 11:57:06 am »

Reducing us to defending when we can swim up the walls and flank the defenders will net us an advantage. Save the equipment for Design Phase.

You're aware that your first statement is contradictory, correct?

Slowing us down is certainly a bad idea. However, to capitalize on our mobility we need more than just really fresh outfits. A better weapon system that enables our inkantry to make the most of their highly trained reflexes, is a good investment. The ink tank 1.1 might be a bit of a reach but it gives weapon experience, doesn't slow us down, and tries for a lot of nice little improvements.
---

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2018, 12:02:42 pm »

I would rather have high morale. That and if you refuse my idea now, you'll never accept it. It will alaws be a waste of time to you. And so we will remain stale. Forever.

Bit Emotional appeal, but since when has freshness ever been anything but.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2018, 12:11:13 pm »

I would rather have high morale. That and if you refuse my idea now, you'll never accept it. It will alaws be a waste of time to you. And so we will remain stale. Forever.

That's barely an emotional appeal, it's more a guilt trip with all the subtlety of a mother grieving over her daughter's first tattoo.

Freshness is an integral part of the game, which has been noted to have an effect at many levels. I do not discount how making our soldier's fresher will make them better- however, it's the kind of thing that I'd prefer to put into design territory due to the fact that its effects are numerous. I don't discount your idea, I just think that actually bringing in an improved piece of equipment will net us greater dividends.
---

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2018, 12:32:15 pm »

hmp.. K then.

Mark 1 Ink Tank : A basic ink tank, invented by the same inventor that invented the Bamboozler, and designed to work with the Bamboozler. A quarter of its mass is taken up with the complicated gearing that connects it to a Lings primary weapon and the generator for the subweapon, limiting how much ink it can store. Still better then having to produce ink manually whenever you need a refill though.

Let's see about increasing capacity by reducing the gearing.

Ink Gear Advancement 1: Gearing change
The connecting gearing is modified to take up less space, boosting the amount of space available. As a bonus, more ink can be held.

Also, either this, or the Mark 1.1 Ink Tank. That's my vote.

testmen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2018, 01:20:22 pm »

I have not put in a vote yet, as I wanted to wait until everyone got their designs in, and I wanted to present my ideas on the revisions so far.

Mark 1.1 Ink Tank: Improving weapon performance and getting experience on of our main equipment items is definitely a good idea,  but this does seems like the most complex of the proposed revisions.  There is also the question of it it wouldn't be better to focus on improving the performance of our weapons directly through them instead.

Fresh Decals: It's true that whenever a Inkling would decide to choose between style and function, they would choose style almost all of the time.  However, it's benefits requires we are able to both take and hold territory, otherwise they just get painted over.  Also, I'm not sure we can make this in the revision phase as I'm not sure what this is revisioning from.

Montage Music:  Yeah, what I proposed probably has the least visible benefits, and would probably be minor plus to what the camp already does.  Thinking it over, I should have proposed something that covers working out some of the faults of our starting gear.

Heavy Ink Tank: Like the Mark 1.1, getting more experience in design over one of our main equipment is good, and more ink allows more use of heavier weapons.  However, it would mean we would HAVE to design heavier weapons to make use of these tanks, which would lock our focus for at least one turn.  It also plays against one of our strengths as Inklings, high battlefield mobility, and make it a bit more difficult offensive.

If I had a suggestion of what we should focus on designs on, we should work on fixing the faults of our starter gear while working on gear that allows our to secure as much ground as we can in mobile early assault; things like lightweight equipment or and weapons that help cover ground (in ink).

Edit:  Looks like Tric made a design that falls in line for what I wanted to ask for, and I think instead of making another design I will vote for the one that was posted.

Fresh Decals:
Montage Music:
Gearing change: [2] TricMagic, Testmen

Emral282

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2018, 01:34:36 pm »

A thing to note about the slow start talk: We're getting four design turns before the first combat turn.
We should be thinking what our set of designs should be rather than doing them one by one.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2018, 01:36:12 pm »

We want a improved primary, a sub weapon, and a special or ability; I think a charger would be great for the long-range engagement and other weapons and gear can be for up close
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 33