Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21

Author Topic: Octoling Development Facility - Splatoon Arms Race (Spring, Year 3)  (Read 24226 times)

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Octoling Development Facility

Core Thread : LINK

Welcome, brave engineers, to Octo Valley, the ancient center of Octoling Civilization. Strange tidings arise on the tides, tidings of war and woe, for all that most do not yet hear them. You, on the other hand, do hear them. The long peace between Inkling and Octoling will soon break into pieces, it seems, under the pressure of the rising waves. One side will break, and be forced from the highlands that will be left. You and your peers mean for it to not be your side that is forced from your home by desperate refugees, and you will turn all your artifice into preventing that terrible vision from coming true.

Still, the war is not yet upon us. Even the most grim souls think it still a matter of months, not days, until the public realizes what stands before them and the fighting starts. You have some time yet. Time to spend crafting better tools, better implements of victory for your side before the need becomes a demand for salvation.

Let us use it wisely, eh?

Spoiler: Starter Designs (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resources (click to show/hide)

Index
Year 0, Spring : Design Phase, Revision Phase, Turf War
Year 0, Summer : Design Phase, Revision Phase, Turf War
Year 0, Fall : Design Phase, Revision Phase, Turf War
Year 0, Winter: Design Phase, Revision Phase, Turf War
Year 1, Spring : Design Phase, Revision Phase, Turf War
Year 1, Summer : Design Phase, Revision Phase, Turf War
Year 1, Fall : Design Phase, Revision Phase, Turf War
Year 1, Winter: Design Phase, Revision Phase, Turf War
Year 2, Spring: Design Phase, Revision Phase, Turf War
Year 2, Summer: Design Phase, Revision Phase, Turf War
Year 2, Fall: Design Phase, Revision Phase, Turf War
Year 2, Winter: Design Phase, Revision Phase, Turf War
Year 3, Spring: Design Phase, Revision Phase, Turf War
Year 3, Summer: Design Phase, Revision Phase, Turf War
Year 3, Fall: Design Phase, Revision Phase, Turf War
Year 3, Winter: Design Phase, Revision Phase, Turf War
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 10:17:06 pm by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Octoling Development Facility - Splatoon Arms Race (Spring, Year -1)
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 10:47:43 pm »

Lings forever!!!
Quote from: reindheart
The Octo-knight set (primary weapon)
An Octo-knight set is composed of two parts, the Inflate-shield and the inkbat
The Octo-bat is a foam bat soaked in ink, it won't be doing much splatting but it will throw you back a bit.
The inflate shield is a potent defensive system that can basically no sell any conventional attack, so long as it is facing the right direction at the right time. Does nothing if you are attacked from the side,
Quote from: DUES VULT
The octo-hammer is an ink based melee weapon for close range combat, designed to be cheap, knock back inklings, not be too expensive, and be able to deal a decent amount of damage. It is composed of a small high pressure ink canister attached to the head of a large hammer. when the octoling starts to swing it ejects some of that ink out the back to speed the hammer up, and upon a strike it sends the high pressure ink out the front knocking the target enemy back.
Quote from: Avatar form
A special that turns the user into a nigh unstoppable avatar of the sea god for a short time, while in this form they, are immune to attack, have a large storm of ink around them, and can fly.
Quote from: auto-splatter
Secondary, a small device which holds a sea hare ally who fills a balloon, when hit with enemy ink they detonate, covering the area in ink of our own. we will get the sea hares to agree to this via bribery, if they help us with the war effort when we win we will make them our equals in this new society.
Quote from: body armor
using super sea shells we can imbue our clothing with protective properties
Quote from: Siege cannon
A potent weapon fueled by shells, gather enough to activate it and we can shell any region within range, causing random inkblasts to rain down upon the battlefield.
Quote from: Shooter
a weapon capable of firing a short ranged but powerful blast, the short range is partially due to the spread. But get close enough and you don't even have to aim, this weapon will just splat anything in front of you. Comes with an optional blast shield, an attachment meant to protect against incoming fire

Quote from: votebox
Octo-knight set: (0)
Octo-hammer: (0)
Auto-splatter: (0)
Body armor: (0)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 12:57:34 am by dgr11897 »
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 12:15:12 am »

It's Octolings. :3

Running Sluice

An elegant close combat and tactical weapon, the run sluicer is a rotating tube with holes drilled in it attached to the end of a modified bamboozler with improved grip, and the firing mechanism has been modified to release ink at a continuous rate through the cylinder. In addition, a bat of foam has been laid over the holes that ink comes out of. The wide ink coverage is used to enable high speed turfing and rolling over enemy ink.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 12:56:14 am »

Balloon Mine
Secondary Weapon

A triangular plastic base with an uninflated balloon on top. A valve in the base allows ink from a bamboozler to fill the balloon to bursting, then traps the ink inside. When sprayed with unfriendly ink, the balloon ruptures, restoring the area to friendly control. Can be reloaded by replacing the popped balloon.

Annihilator: (1), DGR
Running Sluice: (1) Doomblade187
Balloon Mine: (1) The Ensorceler
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 01:00:02 am by The Ensorceler »

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 01:02:50 am »

Annihilator: (0),
Balloon Mine: (2) The Ensorceler, DGR
[/quote]
My Power armor arms race

Slick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 01:46:52 am »

Hmm...

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 08:54:19 am »

Ignore me
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 04:32:38 pm »

Balloon Mine: (3) The Ensorceler, DGR, Failbird
Yeah having a good secondary will be fairly important.

Slick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 05:20:50 pm »

Balloon Mine: (4) The Ensorceler, DGR, Failbird, Slick
Hmm, yeah the Balloon Mine seems good.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Octoling Development Facility - Splatoon Arms Race (Spring, Year 0)
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 07:19:40 pm »

Design : Balloon Mine (Easy)
4+1+1 = 6: Above Average

Paint Balloons are an old technology indeed, used to splat foes for thousands of years. They're also fragile, annoying to carry around, and short ranged. But with the new Balloon Mines, you no longer have to carry around a full balloon and hope it doesn't get burst before you need it. Instead, you can carry around unfilled balloons and then, using the neat stand the engineers have developed. inflate it in the field. The main complaint the brave Octolings whom have to use the things have is that the balloons in question are too big and bulky to remove from the inflationary device after they are inflated to use as a throwing weapon. Well, that and the time they need to spend fixed in one position, using their weapon to inflate the balloon. Still, when the balloons burst, they do cover quite a large area in ink.

Issues, however, have arisen with making balloons sturdy enough to handle the norms of military use and to not pop immediately upon first being shot, while friendly forces still control the area, but still fragile enough to pop once enemies actually start moving into the deployment location. So far designers have erred on the side of sturdiness, but this results in balloons that require a certain amount of focused firepower before they will burst. The feeling is that this is still better then balloons that pop before the enemy even shows up, though.

Designers have also come up with a new ultra-minimal automatic pump for the automatic inflation of balloons, allowing the deploying Octoling to deploy the mine and then not have to spend the next minute or so inflating it, but beyond being slower then having an Octoling actively inflating the balloon these pumps are Complex and hard to build, and therefor can only be handed out to units whom have proven their skill until they become easier to produce.

(Cost : 2 Plastic, 0 Super Sea Snail, making it Cheap. If used with the automatic pump, it is Complex and that variant becomes Expensive.)

Spoiler: Resources (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Octoling Armory (click to show/hide)

The Revision Phase of Spring, Year 0 has begun.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 11:45:04 am by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 07:42:40 pm »

So how about a revision to make the balloons useable as burst bombs?

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2018, 08:25:23 pm »

Better manufacturing techniques
Our ink tech pumps are crude at best, they're large, complicated to make, and kinda slow. So we aim to improve the size and manufacturing issues by developing improved techniques for making complex technology, namely we aim to make use of a technique called an assembly line.
My Power armor arms race

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2018, 12:10:24 am »

Revision: Rotodynamic Ink Pumps

Our ink pumps are very complicated right now, using a nearly rubegoldbergian mechanism to apply pressure to ink. With a simpler pump design, we would have more engine power converted to pressure and still see gains in total tank capacity.
Spoiler: Top Secret Blueprints (click to show/hide)
Caption: Prototype reversible pump used in an Ink Tank. To reverse flow and refill tank, purple lever is moved 60 degrees counterclockwise. Green vents feed ink from the tank, red vents (shown blocked) feed ink from the environment while tank is submerged.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 12:23:23 am by The Ensorceler »

Slick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2018, 01:13:17 am »

Revision: Rotodynamic Ink Pumps

Our ink pumps are very complicated right now, using a nearly rubegoldbergian mechanism to apply pressure to ink. With a simpler pump design, we would have more engine power converted to pressure and still see gains in total tank capacity.
Spoiler: Top Secret Blueprints (click to show/hide)
Caption: Prototype reversible pump used in an Ink Tank. To reverse flow and refill tank, purple lever is moved 60 degrees counterclockwise. Green vents feed ink from the tank, red vents (shown blocked) feed ink from the environment while tank is submerged.
Alright this has my vote.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2018, 03:56:54 am »

Quote from: vote box
rotodynamic ink pumps: (3) slick, ensorceler, DGR
My Power armor arms race
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21