Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: Add to the creatures thoughts about sex and be able to customize their values  (Read 25020 times)

happy face

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

irst of all, do not write or speak English very well, so do not be surprised if it is poorly written
Well, I would like to customize the thoughts of the opposite sex in adventure mode, or see my dwarves see what they think about the other sex. For example:
To be able to tell my character that he thinks that dealing with the other sex is tired or that he thinks it is better or worse, that it is necessary to protect or exclaim them, that he believes that power is only for them to have, or that they are very hard workers or are very lazy and etc.
Also with that you could do interesting things like amazons, kingdoms where they exclaim the other sex, a society where each sex can have its own profession and etc.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile

Probably planned already, a common element in fantasy stories.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website

This should probably be according to castes instead of simply the sex tokens, as creatures can have either more or less than two sex-restricted castes (eg. ants, snails). I imagine you’d want castes to be recognized as the same between species though, so that a goblin and a dwarf woman aren’t considered wholly diferent things, so the sex tokens could at least have a use for this here, though other linkages should be possible as well. Like multiple different ”warrior” castes of a creature all being considered ”warriors”.

Tinnucorch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How much sure are you about that? As I understood the answer to your question about adding oppresive systems of government in the FotF thread, I don't see it that clear. Toady said he has "no interest in adding systematized sexual violence, many of the various human genocides, certain forms of discrimination as previously discussed, etc". I'm not sure if that also includes sexism or gender based labor distribution.

I won't mind the underground, evil, spider-praising elf priestess, though...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 07:30:39 pm by Tinnucorch »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How much sure are you about that? As I understood the answer to your question about adding oppresive systems of government in the FotF thread, I don't see it that clear. Toady said he has "no interest in adding systematized sexual violence, many of the various human genocides, certain forms of discrimination as previously discussed, etc". I'm not sure if that also includes sexism or gender based labor distribution.

I won't mind the underground, evil, spider-praising elf priestess, though...
Presumably only hardcoded sexism by men against women. So if your procedural mythgen race has two castes, fufhgvk and aukkgfgvk, there might be fufhgvk-on-aukkgfgvk sexual violence. I guess humans might have it because of RNG, but it would be procedural and not hardcoded.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

He's expressed doubt over specifically gender-related "systemic miseries" in the past (august FOTF, if i recall?).

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

He's expressed doubt over specifically gender-related "systemic miseries" in the past (august FOTF, if i recall?).
I know. Procgen discrimination would make much more sense anyway and would be more easily customizable.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Uh, sorry, I meant in the context of procedurally generated gender.

Quote from: arcaneArtist
A question that i thought of today: are there any plans to expand gender within the game?

currently, all characters seem to be cisgender and dyadic, with some inherently genderless beings like sponge men mixed in, so expanding on this would add in more representation and variety to the game. i could also see it slotting in with the laws and customs expansion mentioned in the Fortress Starting Scenarios framework, since some of the customs and laws (not necessarily ones added in the initial update, but maybe sometime later) could revolve around the roles and definitions of genders within a society, stuff like what it means in this society to "be a man/woman/whatever other genders this society has"

Yeah, that's along the lines of where we were thinking of trying to address gender as robustly as we can manage.  I'm not sure we'll go so far as different gender roles as far as restricting rights and so forth, as I didn't want to particularly dwell on certain systemic miseries and crappy systems would inevitably be generated.  We can probably have certain constructs and distinctions generated and also allow various individuals to escape easy categorization within a given system as well, or for two systems to not cross-categorize easily, though it's difficult to say how that'll turn out from here.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Presumably only hardcoded sexism by men against women. So if your procedural mythgen race has two castes, fufhgvk and aukkgfgvk, there might be fufhgvk-on-aukkgfgvk sexual violence. I guess humans might have it because of RNG, but it would be procedural and not hardcoded.

Even if it is not hardcoded, Toady One still has to code it in. 

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Even if it is not hardcoded, Toady One still has to code it in.
And that's your whole argument? Toady also has to code in magic, villains, everything else.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
Re: Add to the creatures thoughts about sex and be able to customize their values
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2018, 10:34:45 am »

Well he has a point. As toady wants to focus on other things he avoids the controversy. Other games have some of the aspects youre looking for.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Add to the creatures thoughts about sex and be able to customize their values
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2018, 09:32:06 pm »

Well he has a point. As toady wants to focus on other things he avoids the controversy. Other games have some of the aspects youre looking for.
We have plenty of time post-1.0. And Toady's child/designated successor could take his place if he dies of old age, so GC's argument is flawed.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2018, 04:07:44 pm »

We have plenty of time post-1.0. And Toady's child/designated successor could take his place if he dies of old age, so GC's argument is flawed.

Eh, because of that some things will need to be prioritized. Remember that 1.0 is likely a couple decades away.
Calling off a suggestion in the suggestion forum because it's "probably planned already" doesn't help much :/

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2018, 01:30:30 am »

Eh, because of that some things will need to be prioritized. Remember that 1.0 is likely a couple decades away.
Calling off a suggestion in the suggestion forum because it's "probably planned already" doesn't help much :/
Yes, but it will probably be implemented eventually. I'm not calling the suggestion off.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2018, 06:10:08 am »

We're still mortal KittyTac. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14