Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Noob Help  (Read 1027 times)

Battleguy01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Noob Help
« on: June 30, 2007, 11:25:00 pm »

I need to ask a few questions.

1. How do you get more dwarves?
2. What does Miasma do, and how do you get rid of it?
3. When do other people come and try and attack you?

Thanks

OH DUDE ! You just copied and pasted the spambot's links !!! YOU LAZY A** !" ~Blob

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Adamantine Skeleton]
    • View Profile
Re: Noob Help
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 11:34:00 pm »

1. You get more dwarves at the end of Fall usually, and in the Spring as well after the first year.

2. Miasma is Disease, to get rid of it you need a refuse pile somewhere where your dwarves won't be walking all hte time.

3. No clue, as much as I try, I have yet to succeed in getting anyone to attack me.

No, I think the cook would be in charge of sugar-coating the cows.

You are a lifesaver! Round and probably in tropical flavors.

The Moonlit Knight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 11:36:00 pm »

1. Migration, mostly; migrants come often in the springtime, although occasionally in summer and autumn; this can depend on your area's climate and location, I believe, as distant, barren, frigid/desert lands are understandably less likely to attract immigrants. (edit: married dwarves can also give birth to children, which will of course eventually grow into working dwarves, but this happens only once in a while, takes a long time, and is definitely not your primary method of getting new dwarves).

2. Just disgusts your dwarves, makes them a bit unhappy. It fades away naturally, but to prevent it from HAPPENING, make a refuse pile OUTSIDE your fortress; miasma is pretty much just noxious fumes from decaying corpses, so moving them outside to a trash heap gets rid of the problem. (edit: if you don't want your dwarves wandering around outside, you can also put your refuse pile indoors but behind closed doors so the fumes don't escape.)

3. Goblins and kobolds will start attacking a few years in, 4 or 5-ish; humans and elves will only attack if you mess with their traders. Random creatures can also come out of the river, chasm, and magma.

(edit again: damn, looks like my drawn-out reply got me beaten to the punch, ah well. >_> )

[ July 01, 2007: Message edited by: The Moonlit Knight ]

[ July 01, 2007: Message edited by: The Moonlit Knight ]

A man once said to me, "If you want superpowers, all you have to do is take acid and you'll have any superpower you want." He then asked if I had just, at that moment, shaved half my face; I revealed that as being my superpower. Being suddenly and inexplicably half-shaven.

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Adamantine Skeleton]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 11:48:00 pm »

HEHE!

I have played fortresses to year 7 before, trying to tick everyone (and everything) off, all to no avail... *sigh*

[ July 01, 2007: Message edited by: TerminatorII ]

No, I think the cook would be in charge of sugar-coating the cows.

You are a lifesaver! Round and probably in tropical flavors.

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 09:32:00 am »

Seize everything from every traders and wagons coming your way and you'll get their attention.  ;)
I am on a hot streak... literally.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 02:45:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire:
<STRONG>Seize everything from every traders and wagons coming your way and you'll get their attention.   ;)</STRONG>

And then kill them.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 02:50:00 pm »

Put your trade depot on one side of the chasm and your refuse pile on the other. Once the traders are in, lock the door and bridge-a-pult everything across the chasm into the depot. Repeat for a season or 2 and watch them go crazy. Launch in occasional predator to wound them and make them go berzerk by injury...

3 years of that is a guaranteed siege.

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Battleguy01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 04:50:00 pm »

Um, Thanks for that, i have some more questions.

4. How do you calm people down if they are having a tantrum?
5. How do you tell a dwarf to attack someone that's not an enemy?
6. How do you make a refuse pile?
7. Is there a way of really forcing a dwarf to do somthing (I have the laziest mason dwarf on this side of the raging hills of darkness)

[ July 01, 2007: Message edited by: Battleguy01 ]

OH DUDE ! You just copied and pasted the spambot's links !!! YOU LAZY A** !" ~Blob
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 08:20:00 am »

4) Pray. They'll either eventually calm down, or wind up going berserk\melancholy. If they get happy enough they'll settle down, but since you can't directly make them happy, just pray. (Often I've had dwarves go to prison for destruction of property\killing cats and eventually calm down from the happy thoughts of being brought food\water, pets can help but a mid-tantrum dwarf is just as likely to kill its pet and get even madder about the loss!)

5) Lever death-traps, otherwise not possible

6) Like any other stockpile (p), and then set it to refuse. (So [p] then [r] if I recall.)

7) Drafting can interrupt breaks, but gives unhappy thoughts.

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 10:28:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Battleguy01:
<STRONG>
7. Is there a way of really forcing a dwarf to do somthing (I have the laziest mason dwarf on this side of the raging hills of darkness)

</STRONG>

Check his thoughts (<v>iew him,

references, <z>, <enter> ). Is there something up with him?
Got enough workshops that he's skilled for?

Maybe he's actually been using Stone Detailing or Architecture but it hasn't been obvious.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2007, 01:30:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Battleguy01:
<STRONG>7. Is there a way of really forcing a dwarf to do somthing (I have the laziest mason dwarf on this side of the raging hills of darkness)
</STRONG>

The most direct way is to simply turn off all his jobs except the one you want him to do, but of course that can't really do anything about eating/drinking/sleeping or going on breaks. (If it's the latter a lack of alcohol might be the problem btw.)

I don't know if it's just my imagination or what, but it does always seem like there's one particularly lazy slob in my original seven, just begging to be turned into a hauler once migrants arrive to replace him.

Battleguy01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2007, 12:43:00 am »

Another Q

8. Okay, one of my dwarves was building a road, and a cougar scared him and he suspended it, but now how do you get him to work on it again? Because you can't select it or change it from the job list, or anything.

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2007, 01:20:00 am »

You can check it with a different key, try [t] I think. I might be wrong, haven't played in a while.

Battleguy01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2007, 07:31:00 pm »

Okay i just got a shipment of migrants, and one of them is possessed...

9. What does it do?
10. How do i stop it?

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2007, 08:03:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Funkadelic Jive Turkey:

7) Drafting can interrupt breaks, but gives unhappy thoughts.

Drafting only gives unhappy thoughts if the dwarf in question lacks military skill. One more reason why it's a good idea to give as many dwarves as possible at least Novice level in wrestling.

-Albert

Pages: [1] 2