Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I'm totally alien!  (Read 734 times)

The Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I'm totally alien!
« on: November 26, 2007, 02:30:00 am »

Dude. I have been away for a while. All I remember was a game with a mountain to the right, forest to the left all the time, all types of stones in every map, and only limestone needed for smelting steel.

My friend talks of Z-Axis gaming, tower building and zombie whales.

Can I build cities under the sea? Can I build boats? Plus, "too deep" condition seems to be removed! Can you tell me of all the new stuff added up?

h34R my 1337 masterwork turtle bone crossbows of doom!

Flok Speargrabber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I'm totally alien!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 02:41:00 am »

Yes, no, not really.

Basically, remember the old game?

Now you've got multiple layers to work with.

RubberDuckofDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 02:43:00 am »

You can build a city under the sea if you start at the coat and dig a tunnel underneath the ocean.

Too Deep conditions are gone. In every single mountain "region", there is a single mountain "local" tile that somewhere under it has some adamantine. If you mine too deep into it, you'll break into a freaky cave complex with all sorts of weird shit- masterwork engravings of horrible things, crushed bone meal and blood coating every surface, babbling and insane humanoids, and other warning signs. If you don't seal it off (unknown if you need to use adamantine, it'd be realistic but I don't think the demons will break the rewall even if it's glass), Demons will come and they're far tougher now. Even a well-prepared fort is in danger.

no boats.

Crops now have outdoor/indoor designations. You can farm strawberries outdoor but they won't grow underground. Plump Helmets don't grow outside. Certain outdoor crops only grow in certain biomes, which is sometimes odd if your fortress is literally located at the border between two. You also can start with Rock Nuts now, just as a minor thing. Oh, and domesticatable camels and muskoxen. The latter appear almost as common as horses and mules for wagon-pulling, so you'll often start with 1.

Soil is pre-irrigated rock, basically. You can farm it without getting it wet, although you have to make sure to make it underground or aboveground depending upon what you want to grow.

Cave Rivers, magma, sand, etc, are no longer guaranteed to occur in any given location.

There's now noble/interpersonal skills. A Pacifier or Consoler can calm down dwarves who are tantruming, a Liar or Negotiator can bargain offers with traders (although not too well at low levels, they must have massive trading skills), a Bookkeeper isn't useful until he sits at his desk keeping records.

Nobles aren't as sucky, their demands are less frequent and they seem to make more reasonable ones in my experience. You can appoint civilian nobles like the Bookkeeper, Expedition Leader (the lesser, earlier form of the Mayor- either your most social or a random (if you picked no social skills) dwarf from the original 7, although he can be replaced)), Manager (you start with him!), and Broker (all 4 of these are the same guy at the start, but you can diversify it later if you wish).

You start with the anvil, no guaranteed metalsmith. If you start without an anvil, you get a whopping 1,000 points to spend on gear but have to wait until your trading noble (I think it's the Broker) cuts an agreement with the dwarven trade liaison they bring now to bring an anvil and they get around to it (usually 2 years or so).

Those are all the things that come immediately to mind, besides rewalling, reflooring, etc.

Edit- Oh yeah- now there's screw pumps (manual or automated), gears, axles, water wheels, and windmills. The millstone now needs a mill unless you build a querm, which does the same thing but is slower. Mechanical constructions in areas with wind (hard to tell now, it appears to be strongest near the sea but present everywhere?) or a river that isn't a brook are now pretty cool. A big use of screw pumps is to move water up Z levels.

Carp are now deadlier than elephants, and Giant Cave Spiders moreso than them. Check the wiki on Carp and on Adventurer Mode for those respectively.

[ November 26, 2007: Message edited by: RubberDuckofDoom ]

[ November 26, 2007: Message edited by: RubberDuckofDoom ]

BDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 02:50:00 am »

Bah, RubberDuck covered it much better...

[ November 26, 2007: Message edited by: BDR ]

A HREF="http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=12&t=000218">A Kobold''s Quest

A Kobold''s Quest II

The Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 02:54:00 am »

What...the...hell...

I already got confused at the earlier game. It is surprising a game complicated like this can exist!

Verily, this may be THE most complex game in the world, am I right?

frostedfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 03:01:00 am »

na x2/x3 are, because you aren't spending all your time looking up at the wiki for everything, you can get started first and THEN look up stuff :P

also, if you have any mineral/geological knowledges they will help in ID'ing what minerals are, what is refined and where certain minerals will appear  :D

the spinning bb round hits jack johnson, scumbag in the lower body!
it is pierced through entirely!
his right kidney has been poked out!
his liver has been mangled!

jack johnson, raider has been shot and killed.

The above (including bbcode) neatly weighs in at 255 characters. Fallout meets DF

The Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 03:07:00 am »

Carps...are...deadly? You know, the ones that get to jump at the bait when I was joyfishing while being a little kid...

[ November 26, 2007: Message edited by: The Khan ]

DuncanFrost

• Bay Watcher
  • Urban Legendary
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt account.
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 03:37:00 am »

I've had the exact same experience as Kahn. It's all so confusing!
Toady looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!
Toady has butchered a spammer!

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 04:22:00 am »

There are also new kinds of man creatures...like swallow man. Soon there will probobly be Carpman,Elephantman,Old School Batman...etc
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Vanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 09:12:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Keilden:
<STRONG>There are also new kinds of man creatures...like swallow man. Soon there will probobly be Carpman,Elephantman,Old School Batman...etc</STRONG>

Toadyman, once coded in, would appear as a megabeast  :D

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 09:33:00 am »

[CREATURE:TOADYMAN]
   [NAME:toadyman:toadymen:toadyman]
   [TILE:'T'][COLOR:2:0:0]
   [GLOWTILE:'"'][GLOWCOLOR:2:0:1]
   [MEGABEAST][GOOD][AMPHIBIOUS][UNDERSWIM]
   [GENPOWER:5]
   [BUTCHERABLE_NONSTANDARD]
   [CAN_LEARN][CAN_SPEAK][LIKES_FIGHTING]
   [LARGE_PREDATOR]
   [CARNIVORE][EXTRAVISION][NOEXERT][NO_SLEEP]
   [CANOPENDOORS]
   [BUILDINGDESTROYER:2]
   [PREFSTRING :programming skills]
   [BODY:HUMANOID:2EYES:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:HUMANOID_JOINTS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:4FINGERS:4TOES:MOUTH]
   [SIZE:16]
   [MAXAGE:10:2000]
   [ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:GRASP:slash:slashes:1:6:SLASH][ATTACKFLAG_WITH]
   [ATTACK:SECOND:BYTYPE:MOUTH:bite:bites:1:4:GORE][ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH]
   [BODYGLOSS:CLAW_HAND:MAW]
   [FAT:5]
   [EQUIPS]
   [MALE]
   [ALL_ACTIVE]
   [STANDARD_FLESH]
   [SWIMS_INNATE][SWIM_SPEED:2500]
   [HOMEOTHERM:10040]
   [LAYERING:10]
   [BIOME_ALL_MAIN]

[ November 26, 2007: Message edited by: Captain Mayday ]

Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 12:22:00 pm »

Carp are what elephants used to be.  Elephants, alas, are no more.  And honestly, carp are much downgraded in 33b or 33c.

You can build a boat.  Just leave it at the docks. I dare you to try to launch it!  (Apologies to whomever originally suggested this; it's a grand idea, but I forgot your name.)

Building a city under the sea is possible-- but considered challenge mode.

Too deep has been answered satisfactorily.  The game is noticeably easier because of it, and because of other tweaks.  But I can't tell you what your King will demand.  Maybe harder?

He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

ERoberts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007, 01:50:00 pm »

quote:
Nil Eyeglazed said:
Carp are what elephants used to be. Elephants, alas, are no more.

Elephants are still here, and they still kill hunters pretty efficiently. (haven't had an elephant rush in a while though, but I have been mobbed by a herd of wild Hippos!)

Scorpios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 05:47:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by RubberDuckofDoom:
<STRONG>HIDDEN FUN STUFF</STRONG>

Way to spoil the best part of the game to him.
*Cough cough jerk cough cough*

quote:
Originally posted by The Khan:
<STRONG>Carps...are...deadly? You know, the ones that get to jump at the bait when I was joyfishing while being a little kid...

[ November 26, 2007: Message edited by: The Khan ]</STRONG>

That image is terrifying.
 find that I identify forum goers more by their signatures than anything else.
That being said, I should probably think of something witty to put here.