Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Succession Game time! Part deux  (Read 5417 times)

Andrelius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Succession Game time! Part deux
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2007, 08:55:00 am »

I'm going to ruin the fort, I just know it. Not intentionally of course. I just know I will...

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2007, 09:22:00 am »

Earth to Mzbundifund, please respond.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Mzbundifund

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't play adventurer mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2007, 12:38:00 pm »

I've got it, and have been playing it.  I'm almost done with autumn.  I'll probably post the game and the files this afternoon.  Sorry, I should have posted that I got the file.

Mzbundifund

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2007, 05:05:00 pm »

Well, it's been a year in Workedtakers, and the old ruler has been ousted by popular vote.  He's a capable miner and practiced engraver, but as a ruler he is... lacking.  They've voted me, the fortress mechanic, into his place.  I've taken stock of where we are.

What we do have:

Fish.  About 90 servings.  We won't starve any time soon.

Bone crafts.  Comes with all those fish.  We've got TONS of the stuff.  It'll take us years to sell it all.

Sand.  Apparently the last ruler Asehujiko insisted on green glass windows in his personal dining room, and grossly overestimated the amount of sand required.  I should mention that the other dwarves don't even HAVE a dining room.

What we don't have:

Alcohol.  Not a drop.  Nothing to brew either, nor any skilled herbalists.  Thank Armok we've got seeds.  I pledge that in my term of office we will become completely independent from the well.

Adequate defense.  We've got a moat, which is nice, but there's no traps or military.  We don't have enough dwarves right now for a military, but we've got a mechanic and lots of rock.

Organization.  South of the MESS of workshops is a 24-space stockpile that accepts all of the following: furniture, corpses, refuse, stone, ore, ammo, coins, bars, blocks, gems, wood, weapons, and armor.  At the moment, it's mostly stuffed with rocks.  I don't understand its purpose at all.  The rest of the fortress is basically a tiny moat enclosing the hideously disorganized mess of workshops, a massive half-finished hallway leading to nowhere, a tiny barracks where all the dwarves sleep, and the previous ruler's decadent living quarters.  There are animals running around everywhere.  There's a dining room dug, but it's unsmoothed and only contains chairs.

This year I will attempt to defend all access points to the fortress, with traps and lockable doors.  I will attempt to get an efficient farm up and running, and use the produce to brew enough alcohol that we don't need to use the well at all.  I will attempt to give the common dwarves a fine dining room and a bedroom for each dwarf.  I will attempt to clear out that mess of workshops outside the fortress, and put each in its own enclosed room with a door to seal off unsatisfiable fey dwarves, should the need arrive.

18th of Granite.  The new farm is built, and the first of the new workshop spaces.

3rd of Slate.  The first seeds are in, and the bedrooms are being mined, our carpenter already hard at work on the beds.  A cage has been set up near the farm, and a peasant has been given the task of stuffing all the excess horses and foals into it.  We'll leave two cats for vermin control.  The common dwarves finally have a dining room.  Without alcohol the dwarves are working painfully slowly.

14th of Slate.  More migrants arrive.  Two of them are farmers,  Three unskilled hobos, four children, two carpenters.  At least the carpenters brought battle axes, which will help considering...

Oh Armok.  The one of the two useful migrants, the farmers, had his arms mangled by the hideous elephants.  No other migrants were even scratched.  He wasn't killed, only crippled forever, saddling my dwarves with yet more work to care for him.  We sigh and drag him to the barracks.  At least the bedrooms are underway so we won't need the barracks for sleeping. Well, we now have four children, a cripple, and three unskilled peasants.  Out of twenty three dwarves.

1st of Felsite.  The first of the plump helmets are in.  The previous ruler thankfully decided to reserve some barrels, so we have a few that aren't stuffed with fish that we can use to brew some wine.  I've also nearly finished safeguarding the well with stone block traps.  I'd have preferred weapon traps, but all in good time.

24th of Felsite.  The first wine is brewed, and productivity has skyrocketed.

27th of Felsite.  The previous ruler of the fortress confirmed his insanity today.  He charged into the masonry shop, threw poor Zuglar out, and proceeded to grab a couple of random stones and work furiously.  We've built a temporary mason's workshop so work can continue while he neglects his duties.  Of course he's our only skilled miner, so excavation has ground to a halt.

4th of Hematite.  The wine is flowing here in Workedtakers,z happiness is on the rise, and our miner is finally back to work. Asehujiko emerged from the workshop hauling a massive granite statue he calls "Eastboulder the Ripe Knight of Guises".  Yeah, I don't know either.  After seeing to what utter madness the previous ruler has succumbed, the other dwarves seem happier than ever that I am the current leader.

12th of Malachite.  Not much to report.  The human caravan is here, but of course we have no road, what with no way to handle the elephants.  We bought all they had with fish bone trinkets.  I am working on moving this mess of workshops indoors, but work is slow.  It is frustrating that all our farmers are novices, as they can only manage to reap one plump helmet per stack.  Ah well.  In years to come they will be more productive.

21st of Malachite.  The damn mandrills are back!  My stone block traps crush two of them immediately, but there are at least six in this assault.  My right arm is bruised, but I throttled two of them personally.  Fortunately the only injury of note is a craftsdwarf's broken leg.  To celebrate our loss-less victory, I drink a shot of wine, and take a nap.  Oh, and a child got mangled, too.  Pfft.

25th of Malachite.  I spoke too soon.  The mandrills attack again, and I haven't had time to reload the stone block traps.  They managed to tear out the bone-carver's eye and  broke his left arm in two places.  Many other dwarves are wounded as well, some with injuries I don't think will ever heal.  I designate some of the excess bedrooms to be used as medical beds, and order the carpenters to make a couple extra buckets to care for all these wounded.  There's blood and dead mandrills all over the hall, and it is at this point Asehujiko the retired ruler, the legendary miner, and by far the best fighter we've got out here, wanders down the hall yawning.  "Hey guys, what's going on?  He then proceeds to get a drink and go on break.  Several dwarves glare murderously at him, and I have to start barking orders to get everyone's mind back on their tasks.

Mzbundifund

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2007, 05:28:00 pm »

I double posted.   And now a joke.  Two atoms were walking down the street.  One atom says,
"Oh no, I think I lost an electron!".  The other atom says,
"That's terrible!  Are you sure?"  The first atom says,
"I'm POSITIVE!"

[ July 03, 2007: Message edited by: Mzbundifund ]

Mzbundifund

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2007, 05:37:00 pm »

(in this picture it looks like we have fewer wounded than we do.  For some reason the dwarves piled three of them into one bed)

2nd of Galena.  Things are looking up again.  We have made a couple of obsidian short swords, which I am installing at the front gate to back up the stone block traps.  We now have fifty-four servings of wine, as opposed to the zero we had at the start of the year.  We have roughly a little over a hundred meals, similar to the ninety we had at the start of the year.  Asehujiko has been quite productive lately, smoothing the dining room and carving out more fortress.  I wonder if he has a split personality, the efficent dwarf he is today, and the insane incompetent responsible for "Eastboulder the Waste of Time".  I suspect he was his efficient self when elected ruler of this outpost a year and a half ago.

9th of Galena.  Four frogmen attack from the river.  Asehujiko continues to prove he can be a strong asset to the fortress by slaughtering all but one himself.  The last was taken down by one of my own traps.

17th of Galena.  I can't help but notice one child's fondness for playing among the festering mandrill and frogman corpses.  Disturbing.

1st of Limestone.  Autumn begins.  Our craftsdwarf arose from bed today, his broken arm completely healed.  His ruined eye will never heal I fear, but his endurance through hardship has inspired many of the younger dwarves.  I have comissioned a tomb built for him in a prominent place in honor of his loyal service.

2nd of Limestone.  Early autumn.  Several of the younger dwarves have been expressing various creative ideas about how to run this fortress. I must admit that while I have found this job a rewarding one, I am growing tired of the administrative affairs.  Therefore, I have announced my intention to retire at the end of the year, and, in dwarven tradition, am building a tomb for myself to symbolically bury me as the past ruler, to make way for the new.  Of course I hope I live many long years yet, serving the fortress as its mechanic, but this will help me walk away from the job with no regrets.  The tomb engravings will also help serve as a historical log of the events that occurred during my leadership, the good and the bad.  I daresay the engravers will put quite a few mandrills in there.

3rd of Limestone.  Several of the dwarves have brought concerns to me that the invalids in the medical barracks have been growing increasingly unstable, flying into a rage at the slightest provocation.  The mason assures me the door to the barracks is sturdy, which is reassuring should one of them go mad and attack the others.  My colder side tells me that if they kill each other we'd be better off.

15th of Limestone.  We have no easily accessed ford to bring traders to our fortress.  The elephants are distant at this time of year, so I asked the mason to build one.

25th of Limestone.  The traders arrive.  They have mostly useless leather and cloth, but I buy their meats and cheeses. We still have dozens and dozens of bone crafts left over.  Now that our craftsdwarf is working again, that number only grows.

1st of Sandstone.  Nothing really new to report.  We now have over 140 servings of alcohol, and the well is collecting dust.  The front gate has three stone block traps and three obsidian sword traps defending it.  The cave river has two stone block traps, and I'm working on a third.  My tomb is completely smoothed and half engraved.  Despite repeated mandrill attacks and one immigration of cripples and children, I have nearly accomplished all I set out to do this year, and it's not even winter yet.  There are a couple workshops that still need to be moved indoors, but apart from that, all looks well.

6th of Sandstone.  It struck me today that our former ruler's tomb is completely undefended from looters.  I place a trap there.

12th of Sandstone.  One of our cripples has gone mad.  We lock the door, and pray for the other cripples locked in there with her.

4th of Timber.  The shrieks of the insane cripples remind me that they do not have long to live.  Before their accidents, I'm sure they were good dwarves.  I order a catacombs built near the former ruler and my tombs, to be used for these and other dwarves in the future.

th of Timber:  The mandrills are back.  I order the dwarves inside and cancel the logging operation, deleting the wood stockpile so the dwarves would drop their lumber and retreat.  I count seven mandrills in this bunch, Hopefully none of the weapon traps jam so I don't have to spend time resetting the stone block traps.

7th of Timber.  Anticlimax.  The mandrills stole some clothes from the remains of some caravan guard and left.  That's all.

13th of Timber.  We've struck silver, copper, AND tin while digging the catacombs!  I move the catacombs to a different place, future rulers will want to tap these veins.

1st of Moonstone.  Winter is here.  The catacombs are complete, and the cripples are buried, all but one.  Most of us are glad that their suffering is over.  We have over 150 plump helmets, and 40 cooked meals to get us through the winter.  We have 229 servings of wine.

8th of Moonstone.  Our last cripple goes mad.  Her grave is prepared.  It won't be long now.

9th of Moonstone.  One of our craftsdwarves has caught 'Asehujiko fever'.  She threw our grizzled one-eyed bone carver out of the craftshop (no easy feat!) and started grabbing lumber.  She started demanding rough gems, and none of the gems we had on hand seemed to suffice.  We asked for specifics, but nobody ever remembered her ever having a preference for a specific type of gem.  She, of course, was our glassblower, but I myself took up the task of making glass on the offchance that's what she wanted.  We cobbled together a quick kiln and ashery, and it turned out she wanted clear glass.

26th of Moonstone.  Well, our latest crazy emerged with a kopok idol of an elephant killing a dwarf.  Lovely.

7th of Opal.  All the outdoor workshops have been moved inside, to easily-accessed locations not far from food and drink, near stockpiles appropriate for their purposes.  Hurray.  The insane cripple in the barracks is still alive, despite not having had food or water since mid autumn.

1st of Obsidian.  My last month as ruler.  Supplies still holding strong.  The mason is beginning to furnish the bedrooms.  The elephants have moved away, so we hurry and gather more wood to refill our stockpile.

1st of Granite.  My term as ruler has ended, and I'm proud to say I accomplished all of my goals.  This fortress must continue under another's leadership.  I join Asehujiko in the ranks of the retired rulers of Ducimenkos.  Strike the earth!

(Duimenkos ended with over 250 units of alcohol, and over 150 units of food.  All dwarves have their own bedrooms, and an excellent communal dining room.  All entrances, especially the main entrance, are trapped with some stone block, some obsidian short sword traps.  There is a windy hall leading to a catacombs with about 6 buried dwarves, and about six graves ready for other burial.  The only switch I added is directly next to the farm, and opens the floodgates to flood the farm.  I flooded the farm in the late winter, so it's nice and muddy for pnx in the spring.  The two barrel-filled stockpiles adjacent to the farm take alcohol and plants, the stockpile near the fishery and butcher's shop takes cooked food, meat, and fish.  I didn't do much past the cave river, but I built some bridges and a little stretch of main hallway to get you started.  We've got 20 dwarves, but there's thirty bedrooms, so you're set for the next migration.  The carpenters were really efficient in winter, so there's like 14 unused barrels and a stockpile full of wood if you need it.)

Here's the final map picture in the Map archive...

http://mkv25.net/dfma/viewmap.php?view_poiid=424

And the link with the world and save game...

http://rapidshare.com/files/40865754/Ducimenkos__1053.rar.html

It's Pnx's turn!

[ July 03, 2007: Message edited by: Mzbundifund ]

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2007, 07:20:00 pm »

You seem to have double-posted.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2007, 08:54:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mzbundifund:
<STRONG>I double posted.   And now a joke.  Two atoms were walking down the street.  One atom says,
"Oh no, I think I lost an electron!".  The other atom says,
"That's terrible!  Are you sure?"  The first atom says,
"I'm POSITIVE!"

</STRONG>

Ho ho! I love the cute jokes!
  :D

[ July 03, 2007: Message edited by: Faces of Mu ]

Andrelius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2007, 10:32:00 pm »

Megaman Battle Network?

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2007, 03:29:00 am »

That glass is there so whoever is ruling will run away when frogmen arrive instead of sitting there untill the crorcs get him/her.

Got a pic of my statue and my skills?

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2007, 09:50:00 am »

*Ahem*
My term as ruler is up!

Ok so my first order of buissness is to get my quarters and tomb dug out. While that is being done I plan on smoothing some of the stone by the river along the main hallway.

:D and I managed not to mess up too completely. I dug out some space around the river, I did more smoothing and engraving then you would believe, and I made the dining room legendary.

In any case
"WHOEVER YOU ARE" YOUR TIME HAS COME!
http://rapidshare.com/files/41074000/Ducimenkos__1054.rar

Map archive http://mkv25.net/dfma/viewmap.php?view_mapid=330

[ July 05, 2007: Message edited by: Pnx ]

Mzbundifund

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2007, 11:48:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Asehujiko:
<STRONG>Got a pic of my statue and my skills?</STRONG>

You were legendary in mining (and our only miner, what with the elephants stomping on all our migrants), proficient in engraving, and dabbling in some random stuff like wrestling and growing.  Most dwarves were dabbling in wrestling and growing.

Other than the wierd name, your statue was just a granite statue encircled with bands of one other plain grey rock.  Not the most impressive artifact, but it sure improved your mining skills.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2007, 02:54:00 pm »

Oh and why is there a farm and a workshop right in the path of my future magma defence?

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2007, 03:21:00 pm »

Don't ask me I didn't build them, that's the danger of succession games that one's plans do not coincide with anothers. Though I did expand them. It can still be built though.

Mzbundifund

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2007, 07:52:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Asehujiko:
<STRONG>Oh and why is there a farm and a workshop right in the path of my future magma defence?</STRONG>

Why were you planning magma defense when you hadn't even started a farm yet?   :)

The farm needed to be in an accessible spot near the stockpiles and not too far from the dining room.  The large hallway was the most logical spot.  When people reach the magma they can easily dig around the farm to connect to it.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9