Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Toady’s Airconditioning  (Read 2884 times)

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Toady’s Airconditioning
« on: August 30, 2018, 09:56:34 am »

This has been a problem for ages.

I would gladly donate to separate patreon if made solely for your air conditioner.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
Re: Toady’s Airconditioning
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 09:58:34 am »

The spinning heat strikes Toady One the Tarned Adams of Code in the head, shattering the wellbeing and complicating the work!

I'd gladly donate. Speaking as an Australian, the whole "I'll only use it for a few weeks so it isn't worth it" isn't as good an option as it seems.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Sir_Castic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 11:59:17 am »

Reading his blog update today made me legitimately worried for his health and his living situation. It was just so bleak... I wish there was something I could do to help. If he didn't manage to complete his life's work due to some outside factor such as climate change and poor AQ, it would be a tragedy of epic proportions.
<input type='button' onclick='PO()' value='I don't ask what you're worth.' />

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 05:19:54 am »

The first thing Toady should do is to tell off Threetoe sternly if he ever tries to move in August again...

A healthy and happy Toady is a productive Toady, so that should be a priority for expenditures. If yearly fires are to be expected, an upgraded ventilation system which is capable of filtering smoke and also capable of cooling the air would be useful, unless the house is built with Aussie building standards (weight on the curtains so they don't take up so much of the room when it's windy, generous gaps under doors so insects can leave without hunching, and an "insulation, that's for electrical wires, not houses" attitude).

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 11:27:49 am »

Reading his blog update today made me legitimately worried for his health and his living situation. It was just so bleak... I wish there was something I could do to help. If he didn't manage to complete his life's work due to some outside factor such as climate change and poor AQ, it would be a tragedy of epic proportions.

Exactly. It would be like if Stephen Hawking passed away because the university he at never bought an AC for the lecture hall.

Also, I was going for the someone with great idea metaphor Stephen Hawking. Not the; you are in wheelchair metaphor...

Sir_Castic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 03:26:57 pm »

The first thing Toady should do is to tell off Threetoe sternly if he ever tries to move in August again...

A healthy and happy Toady is a productive Toady, so that should be a priority for expenditures. If yearly fires are to be expected, an upgraded ventilation system which is capable of filtering smoke and also capable of cooling the air would be useful, unless the house is built with Aussie building standards (weight on the curtains so they don't take up so much of the room when it's windy, generous gaps under doors so insects can leave without hunching, and an "insulation, that's for electrical wires, not houses" attitude).

Wait. Does Toady live in Australia? I thought he was in Boston or something.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 03:31:50 pm »

No, Toady's not Australian. My guess is that maybe Patrik is? He can correct me if I'm mistaken, of course.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 11:56:04 pm »

Toady's living near Seattle Washington USA IIRC.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 03:06:13 am »

I don't have much experience, but smoke is a very different reality to just being 'hot' in heat, as i guess at particularly dense quantitites it might become dangerous and lead to oxygen deprivation if there isn't as good a air-flow or a lack of filtration.

Toady could quite literally die if he forces himself to be in a poorly ventilated room for too long, so some AC and or relief supplies of donated money for a gasmask/scuba goggles ASAP i guess.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2018, 03:24:51 am »

No, I'm not an Aussie, but I've lived there a few years and found their building standard to be appalling. More money -> larger, but still just as shoddily constructed while the exterior can look good. I can't say anything about US building standards, though.

If the smoke concentration in an area gets high enough for there to be risk of suffocation I would expect the government to issue an evacuation order (which a lot of people probably would ignore, partially because others would treat it as a looting invitation), but respiration problems set in long before that, and smoke isn't healthy at the best of times, and well before you get actual respiration problems you get discomfort...

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2018, 11:12:01 am »

Where exactly is this blog of Toady's

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2018, 04:32:52 pm »

I suppose they're refering to the articles Toady is putting on the site main page :
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

Sir_Castic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2018, 06:54:34 pm »

Toady reads these threads, right? Or do we need to reach out to him to see if he needs a better ventilation system

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2018, 08:10:38 pm »

Toady reads these threads, right? Or do we need to reach out to him to see if he needs a better ventilation system
He just mentioned it in the Future of the Fortress reply (got himself a window fan this year, helps him sleep. Useless when the smoke started though).
Said something about military grade masks too(!?), so presumably he's reading some wild forum suggestions somewhere too.

Send him a mail or Twitter if you're worried he might miss something. Or money marked "For air conditioning" on his Patreon if you want to contribute.

He's a grown man, probably can figure out how to survive summer by himself.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2018, 07:52:22 am »

I can relate with not wanting to have AC.  I live in Japan and when I first moved here I asked an old woman what I should do to really understand Japanese culture.  She said that I should go through the summer without AC -- without even an electric fan.  Only use a hand fan.  And I should go through the winter without using heating (it doesn't usually freeze where I live :-) ).  "To be Japanese is to be intimately aware of the weather", she said.

You may think I'm crazy (well, those of you who have read my posts will have no doubt...), but I tried it that year.  I made it through the summer and I made it to March, before I broke in the winter.  Having done that, I understood what she was trying to say.  We isolate ourselves in our climate bubbles.  Without AC (or even electric fans), and without heat, what is the difference between inside and outside?  Why would I cower in my hovel (and it *was* a hovel -- I was paying the equivalent of $150 a month :-)), when I could be out and doing things?  Why would I waste my life being afraid of getting hot or cold or whatever?  I was *already* hot (or cold... or whatever).

And the seasons!  When I first came to Japan, people would ask me, "Do you have 4 seasons in your country" -- which seemed like an odd question.  Of course we have 4 seasons in Canada!  But... what is the difference between summer and winter?  Hockey on TV vs. CFL Football (yeah, I watched that...)?  I'd hide in my room, eating food grown in California -- always the same tasteless crap, picked 3 weeks ago in some field irrigated with water that would ordinarily go to Mexico, and picked by Mexicans who can't grow food in their own country any more.   Then flown to Canada to sit on a shelf for a week before I shove it down my neck with barely a second thought.

Now I know the names of every plant that grows around me (in Japanese, not English).  I watch the river go through its cycles of bust and boom.  I see the herons nest, have chicks, teach them how to fish and then eventually fly off.  I watch the seaweed wash up on the beach, and the old women go out to harvest it in the dead of winter.  I eat food that is grown by my neighbours (Like, I go to the supermarket and their face is on the freaking bag).  I see them harvest the food, pack it up, drive it to the distribution centre and then I see it in the supermarket 1 day later.   I know what it means when they say that an autumn eggplant is too good for a bride.  And I *crave* grilled meat in the summer (with copious quantities of beer!).  And stew in the winter, "accidentally" cuddling with my wife as we both try to pick out the best bits from the pot.  I can tell you, to the day, when each kind of fruit should appear in the market and I'm waiting impatiently for each.

I bought AC for the guest bedroom this summer because my niece was coming to stay for a month (as a kind of Japanese homestay).  We used it.  This has been the longest, hottest, most horrible summer since I've been in Japan.  AC is no good for people.

Having said that, I'm getting older and I have health issues.  I can't go a winter without heat.  I will literally die.  Some day soon, I will have to have AC.  I scold my mother in law (who is in her mid 80's) that she *must* use her AC when it is over 35 degrees with 60-80 percent humidity.  She ignores me, but I can see the toll it takes on her.  She knows better than I what she loses when she uses that AC.

For many, it's hard to see why you would endure discomfort.  Now that I've done it for almost 10 years,  I can't imagine giving it up.  (BTW, there is *nothing* in the world that is more decadent and amazing than a hot water bottle in the winter.  You have not lived until you try it :-)).
Pages: [1] 2