Finally... > Life Advice

Learning Swedish

(1/3) > >>

Dark One:
Greetings!

I'm studying English philology and I have already had courses such as linguistics, morphology, phonetics - they allowed me to understand English better, but also gave more knowledge about components of languages.

I'm interested in learning Swedish since I have first heard it and I would like to learn it. I thought about starting with phonetics and phonology, then moving on with other aspects of the language.

I would like to hear any tips on learning this language from its native speakers, anyone that is able to speak it fluently or languages teachers in general. It's always good to hear someone's opinion!

scriver:
Tjena! I am a native Swedish speaker. I'm not sure what kind of tips you are looking for (you'd have to be more specific, I lack imagination), but here is my top three advice:

1. Take the potato out of your mouth (just in case you're Danish)
2. Don't trust anyone with a Stockholmian accent, they think they can speak Swedish but they can't. The poor fools can't even pronounce Ö and Ä! They say U and E respectively.
3. If you're okay with speaking archaic 19th century-speak you can get away with using I, the first person pronoun, the same way it is used in English, but you also have to exchange all other singular pronouns for "en" ("one").

Dark One:
Well, I had already read about history of Swedish language, phonetics and phonology and I had found somewhere that English and Swedish morphology are highly similar.

I'm not Danish, so I don't have Irish scale potato problem. I focus on Rikssvenska (Standard Swedish) accent. I don't have any problems with Jag, Vi, Ni or other personal pronouns, as well as with singular pronouns.

Already started practicing with Duolingo, activated Swedish keyboard so I can write all the letters and I practice daily. It'd be great to be able training speaking with a native speaker, but I don't know the language enough to speak more than simple phrases yet.

scriver:
Here are some useful sayings and phrases:

"Jag köper inte den här skivan; den är repad."
"Min svävare är full med ålar."
"Vill du följa med hem till mitt ställe, studsi-studs?"

Dark One:
Tack så mycket!

I'll translate them and try to memorize.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version