Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Diablo Mod Brainstorming  (Read 2979 times)

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo Mod Brainstorming
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2018, 11:12:44 pm »

I don't think there's that much potential for megabeasts with this, admittedly. Most of the creatures that'd fit for that would be better off being relegated to rare wild beasts that are also innate pets for some of the races or as castes for civilized races.

Use the bosses of each level from the original Diablo as the megabeasts:  The Butcher, The Skeleton King, The Bat from Hell, and so on and so on.   I would also make sure to test them so the bosses from deeper levels are usually stronger than the bosses from higher dungeon levels.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2018, 03:52:16 am »

Like I mentioned, I initially thought of doing that, but then I thought it'd be better off to relegate them to rare, powerful castes of civilized races (i.e Butcher demons would be part of Diablo's faction, Skeleton King would be part of the skeleton faction, etc.) - still I'll give it some thought, maybe I could base them off of uniques and super uniques, so they'd still be the same overall shape but would have more powerful abilities. Perhaps have a "rift guardian" megabeast that has a bunch of different castes that take on different shapes as well.

EDIT: Oh, also wondering - for most of the wild creatures, should I put them in evil biomes only or should they be present in savage or even normal biomes? Diablo doesn't exactly do "evil" areas, since, well, everywhere's kind of a shithole in that universe as long as demons run amok - and while this mod will be more of a crossover than a total conversion, having zombies roaming around even in a mundane grassland biome could be fun and would probably make settling worlds a lot more difficult. There would probably be some exceptions that'd be relegated to evil/savage biomes regardless but, eh, we'll see.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 07:29:41 am by ZM5 »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2018, 09:22:09 pm »

Like I mentioned, I initially thought of doing that, but then I thought it'd be better off to relegate them to rare, powerful castes of civilized races (i.e Butcher demons would be part of Diablo's faction, Skeleton King would be part of the skeleton faction, etc.) - still I'll give it some thought, maybe I could base them off of uniques and super uniques, so they'd still be the same overall shape but would have more powerful abilities. Perhaps have a "rift guardian" megabeast that has a bunch of different castes that take on different shapes as well.

EDIT: Oh, also wondering - for most of the wild creatures, should I put them in evil biomes only or should they be present in savage or even normal biomes? Diablo doesn't exactly do "evil" areas, since, well, everywhere's kind of a shithole in that universe as long as demons run amok - and while this mod will be more of a crossover than a total conversion, having zombies roaming around even in a mundane grassland biome could be fun and would probably make settling worlds a lot more difficult. There would probably be some exceptions that'd be relegated to evil/savage biomes regardless but, eh, we'll see.
Rift Guardians as a megabeast would be actually really cool. As for the creatures, there are some animals and non-demonic/undead monsters in the series that would fit in neutral/savage biomes.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2018, 05:54:38 am »

Yeah, stuff like leapers or quill fiends would definitely be in unaligned or savage biomes regardless, I was mostly thinking in terms of creatures that'd normally be relegated to evil biomes though, like the scarab demons or various undead - I think it'd give it more of that Diablo feel if they weren't only in the most tainted parts of the world, but could be found even in relatively mundane regions, or atleast savage ones.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2018, 08:51:19 pm »

I wish there was a way to have different frequencies and pop numbers in different biomes without having to create multiple identical creatures.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2018, 08:37:27 am »

Yeah, would be convenient - still, in retrospect, now that I'm working on the creatures proper I don't entirely mind it that much since I can expand the animal lists of some of the biomes while also tiering them to an extent (so temperate grasslands, shrublands and forests will mostly have the easiest variants of the creatures, deserts will have slightly tougher ones, etc.).
Pages: 1 [2]