Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Significance of being "Vanguard of Destiny"  (Read 3950 times)

Truncatedurist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Significance of being "Vanguard of Destiny"
« on: September 03, 2018, 12:29:47 am »

Once the myth and magic update is rolled out after the big wait could there be any special events such as holy intervention and the like happening to/around the adveturer?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Significance of being "Vanguard of Destiny"
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 01:12:18 am »

Magic will be procedural, and the Hero/Demigod thing will be gone, because it would not make sense in most worlds.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

carlospaul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 08:45:58 pm »

What I'm wondering is if there will be any apocalyptic magic events, such as magic that is capable of the same destruction as a nuclear warhead

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 09:39:23 pm »

What I'm wondering is if there will be any apocalyptic magic events, such as magic that is capable of the same destruction as a nuclear warhead

Probably at some point, at least once Toady can figure out how the AI will handle it.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 11:18:28 pm »

Yes. And when he talked about it Toady mentioned hopefully combining it with the windows into other parts of the world, so you can enjoy watching a meteor strike from the safety of your fortress/wizard tower.

Also worldgen apocalyptic events have been talked about. And events that bring about changes to the way the world actually works (by villains to be stopped by brave adventurers, and by adventurers just for the lols presumably).

Most likely none of this in the initial Mythgen release, but Soon after.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 04:53:57 pm »

Magic will be procedural, and the Hero/Demigod thing will be gone, because it would not make sense in most worlds.

Where did you hear that they would remove hero and demigod?
There are already gods in the game, they curse people. so why would it be any differtent in the next version.
Please dont run around saying stuff like that if he hasn't said it, might confuse new players.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 02:46:00 am »

There are already gods in the game, they curse people. so why would it be any differtent in the next version.
Please dont run around saying stuff like that if he hasn't said it, might confuse new players.
Mythgen will introduce non-magical worlds. Makes no sense to be a demi-god in a mundane world.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2019, 11:51:12 am »

Mythgen will introduce non-magical worlds. Makes no sense to be a demi-god in a mundane world.
But has he actually said that?
Then he will probably just rename them. It would be odd for him to remove the "start with alot of points" part in adventure mode lol.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2019, 01:13:39 am »

The "demigod" label could still work in any world IMO. Even in a non-magical setting, there's nothing preventing a particularly superstitious society from believing their exceptionally strong, dextrous and intelligent hero is a demigod.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2019, 02:59:10 am »

It's an idiom. Like when you say of a beautiful man "he's an apollo", you're not suggesting he's a litteral greek god. Also "demi-god" is an idiom in the current version. They are not related to gods, in any way. They are just very, very powerful version of their base race.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2019, 03:49:29 am »

It's an idiom. Like when you say of a beautiful man "he's an apollo", you're not suggesting he's a litteral greek god. Also "demi-god" is an idiom in the current version. They are not related to gods, in any way. They are just very, very powerful version of their base race.
But it's meant to be an actual half-god thing at some point (dftalk. somewhere, a long time ago).

Ragnarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2019, 04:10:51 am »

Can you guys throw me a bone about this? Came back to DF after years of not keeping tabs on the blog. Is it possible to read about this somewhere? Procedural magic sounds like something that will make this a GOAT for me.
Dabbling Overseer

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2019, 08:02:57 am »

well, the main stuff is on the dev page. After that there's a few pcgamer interviews (only linked the primary one), and just in general the future of the fortress.

Just to get you up to speed.

Next release: current villains stuff
Then: Steam preparation release(tutorials, ui updates, graphics engine updates).
Then: Stuff that's left on the pre-magic release section. (Mostly armies and adventure mode healing)
Then a cycle of myth and magic releases, of which we know the first one will consist of finishing up the myth generator and plugging it into DF's core, and then to get the world generator to use the generated myths as a starting point. There will also be a big (to Toady very boring) map rewrite which is going to make a huge difference for what the game can do. The primary reason for this is that fantastical lands like floating continents will then become possible, as well as provide room for more mundane elements like varied geology and rivers that can weave between underground and above ground, as well as being more maintainable, as well as allowing planes and switching between views of the world, as well as improving DF's speed by making the sites smarter about how much map data they load.

And only after that release we can expect work to start on procedural magic. There will probably be a slew of bugfix releases in between as always.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Ragnarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2019, 08:49:47 am »

Thanks for a more than sufficient reply! This all sounds amazing. Can't wait. Villains were long overdue, and the magic system just sounds gorgeous.
Dabbling Overseer