Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Companion commands and equipment  (Read 2516 times)

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Companion commands and equipment
« on: August 15, 2018, 04:57:53 pm »

Excuse me if there is a broader topic for info on companions, but I need an answer on why my buddies are not brandishing their equipment on our travels. My companion mace-woman just had a yak kick in her hand because apparently she thought she shouldn't use her shield. Her wrist is now dislocated. I've got three companions actually, and all have their equipment strapped.

I just checked the anouncements page, and my companions are spamming unequiping and wielding their weapons, as if the yak is a threat one monent and the next is not. I'll be sure to give the large mammals a wide berth when passing by next time.
_____
Hey, supercool. I've been going through the mountains and just discovered a cave under a waterfall. I spent the night in the waterfall cave and my buddie's wrist is looking alright. :) The brook is also frozen, as the sun hasn't risen yet. Supercool.

My companion mace-women had no issue clobbering a "human recruit" who was travelling out of the goblin dark pits toward us. Even after I managed to get him to yield my companions beat him dead with several more wacks.

I have found the proverbial fat loot in the goblin fortress, which is quite empty besides those brigands leaving here probably scouting loot. Can I share the heavy load by accessing my buddies' inventories?
_____
So I found this menu pressing 'O' though the key bindings said it was information on odors. My companions are listed there with apparent commands. I assume that's how it all works out? Well, my companions met an untimely end in that fortress of terrors and they are still listed here. Should I attempt to retrieve their corpses for burial?
_____
Sokey dokey, the comrades disappeared from the 'O' menu - which I still wonder why it says it is a detailed display of odors in the key bindings menu ('?' keyboard button) - after I either travelled 'T' or slept 'Z'. I left the dark fortress just as the full moon came upon the sky. I counted about twenty days between selling the loot and getting back to the fortress to procure my pals' bodies if not their souls, lol. So, I actually found them layed in the same spot where they were struck down, the women easily way double of what the man weighed, haha. I'm totally loaded down going 0.2 speed at a jog, which probably resembles the egg-runs in Monster Hunter. I also snatched their weapons and I'm going to take their bodies to that waterfall in the mountains and lay them inside the cave along with their tools of rite. :D A sweet ending to an awesome adventure.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 10:42:28 pm by Bob69Joe »

BadCompany141

• Bay Watcher
  • [POWER] Legendary Blowgunner, Legendary Knapper
    • View Profile
Re: Companion commands and equipment
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 05:00:16 pm »

if a fight escalates to "lethal" or "no-quarters" they draw weapons, with goblin civilizations they always start with "lethal". fights with animals are always listed as a "brawl", even the undead animals "brawl" with you which leads to companions to not drawing weapons. use the trade mechanic to give them armour and make sure to remove any container, such as pouches or quivers during the trade then give them back.

to escalate a fight between animals, use wrestling or attack with a weapon.
"O" is used to detect odors, you locate undead and night creatures with this.
you can share heavy loads with your companions but you need to make sure it's not slowing them down enough to impair their combat.

you are probably talking about "c" which brings up the list of companions, you cant command them to do anything they just act as bodyguards.
if they die theres nothing much you can do about it, other than have an agreement that is never accomplished or ended.

im curious as to what you meant by selling loot and what you sell them for

Senator Jim Death

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 11:56:13 pm »

Looks like newer (?) versions of dfhack, as distributed in LNP, actually have a shift-O menu for giving commands. You have things like "unequip" and "unwield."

None of them seem to work right, or they just don't give confirmation messages, or I just have no idea how to use them.

I think if I really cared about arming my companions, I'd dfhack "bodyswap" with them and just equip stuff myself. But I'm too nervous to actually do that in case my original body runs off and prevents me from swapping back.
If it's not trying to be fun, it's not trying to be a video game.

Truncatedurist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 08:04:16 am »

Once you bodyswap your companions start following you

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 06:32:13 pm »

if a fight escalates to "lethal" or "no-quarters" they draw weapons, with goblin civilizations they always start with "lethal". fights with animals are always listed as a "brawl", even the undead animals "brawl" with you which leads to companions to not drawing weapons. use the trade mechanic to give them armour and make sure to remove any container, such as pouches or quivers during the trade then give them back.

to escalate a fight between animals, use wrestling or attack with a weapon.
"O" is used to detect odors, you locate undead and night creatures with this.
you can share heavy loads with your companions but you need to make sure it's not slowing them down enough to impair their combat.

So, I am using DFHack, and I didn't know that's what changed the 'O' function. I'll try bodyswap later. Where do I find out about all these commands?
you are probably talking about "c" which brings up the list of companions, you cant command them to do anything they just act as bodyguards.
if they die theres nothing much you can do about it, other than have an agreement that is never accomplished or ended.

im curious as to what you meant by selling loot and what you sell them for

I sold the silver weapons and ornately decorated items that had precious materials in town for coins. I just went to the first shop and they bought whatever I took from the goblins, all while having three corpses two-weeks old on my back!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 06:34:22 pm by Bob69Joe »