- 0 (0%)
No!
- 1 (14.3%)
I dunno, I just work here.
- 3 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: September 13, 2018, 05:38:04 pm

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: [47.05] DBDB v1.4 - A dwarven domestic animal expansion! Updated 10 May-21.  (Read 43052 times)

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile

Domestically Bred Dwarven Beasts v1.4 for 47.05+

WELCOME fellow beardlings!

This mod aims to replace the Common Domestic animals with beasts themed around Dwarves, Caves and Mountains. The beasts were designed with utility in mind, and fleshes out the descriptions, colors and appearance modifiers for each individual animal. The mod also relies heavily on inspiration from previous similar mods such as DDD, by Wannabehero, hence some critters are very similar to those found there, but goes further by building and trying to improve on the concept.

Since 44.00 and the changes to animals among the entity tokens, I found it strange that no-one had come out with a new domestic animals mod. Thats why I want to introduce you to the !!DOMESTICALLY BRED DWARVEN BEASTS MOD!! to fulfill all your dwarven agricultural needs.
This standalone mod introduces 2 birds, 9 mammals, 2 reptiles and 2 arachnids and bugs for the dwarven faction, for a total of 15 new creatures.

To install, download the mod from the link below:
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14001
Copy and paste the files into your raw/objects directory.

Birds:

Spoiler: Grouse (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bittern (click to show/hide)

Mammals:

Spoiler: Brock (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Shrewdog (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Stygian Otter (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bristleback (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Slothbat (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Molebeast (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Shoveldon (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Winter Goat (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Woolly Ibex (click to show/hide)

Reptiles:

Spoiler: Firenewt (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Aquifer Turtle (click to show/hide)

Arachnids and Bugs:

Spoiler: Fortress Aphid (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Lockspider (click to show/hide)

Graphics Set Support:
Gemset:   http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14002
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
32x32: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14006
16x16: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14007

Spoiler: Changelog (click to show/hide)

Upcoming Features:
- Wild equivalents of most animals.
- Combatability with other mods.
- Graphics!
- Goblin equivalent to this mod?

« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 03:26:51 pm by vettlingr »

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile

Quickly mashed together a graphics set for gemset:

More are probably on their way...

DWARFFRAWD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

wow! good work. i have wanted mod like this!!

but, i have some questions..

is it all need to do is just copy&paste?

what's difference between entity.txt in this mod, entity.txt in vanilla?

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile

wow! good work. i have wanted mod like this!!

but, i have some questions..

is it all need to do is just copy&paste?

what's difference between entity.txt in this mod, entity.txt in vanilla?

Its copy&paste mostly. Just copy the files into your raw/objects directory.
It should work from there, if you have any problems, please tell me. I've been tweaking this mod a lot lately and havent had enough time playtesting it. :D

To answer your second question; in the entity file, the tags:
[COMMON_DOMESTIC_PACK]
[COMMON_DOMESTIC_PULL]
[COMMON_DOMESTIC_MOUNT]
[COMMON_DOMESTIC_PET]

have been replaced with:

[ANIMAL]
   [ANIMAL_CLASS:DWARF_DBDB_DOMESTIC]
   [ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PRESENT]
   [ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PET]

Which makes only the animals added in this pack show up in the embark screen. If you wish to add back the standard common domestic animals, simply add those tags back in.

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
Re: [44.12] DBDB - A dwarven domestic animal expansion!
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 01:47:27 pm »

UPDATE.
Garphics for 32x32 and 16x16:

« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 01:49:30 pm by vettlingr »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: [44.12] DBDB v1.0 - A dwarven domestic animal expansion!
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 02:35:57 am »

Wow, that's cool :)

I see you mirrored the undead versions, but not per-line, but all at once. Did you alter the graphics.txt accordingly? Because for example the turtle is on the left for adults, on the left for kids, and on the right for undeads.

Otherwise they look really good and yes, they fit the tileset well. :)

The red collar are the war/hunting-trained versions?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 03:09:48 am »

Ohh, now this this looks interesting. I think I need to just go ahead and nab this for a little creative writing project I've been setting up.

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 05:00:08 am »

Wow, that's cool :)

I see you mirrored the undead versions, but not per-line, but all at once. Did you alter the graphics.txt accordingly? Because for example the turtle is on the left for adults, on the left for kids, and on the right for undeads.

Otherwise they look really good and yes, they fit the tileset well. :)

The red collar are the war/hunting-trained versions?
Oh no! you are right! I'll gt to fixing that right away!. :S:S:S
EDIT: Its ready and done, crisis averted!

The red collars are the War/Hunting versions.
I wasn't sure of any better way to represent it. I may go back and redraw them, so they have unique sprites one day.

Ohh, now this this looks interesting. I think I need to just go ahead and nab this for a little creative writing project I've been setting up.
Cheers! I hope you like it!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 05:02:50 am by vettlingr »

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
Re: [44.12] DBDB v1.1 - A dwarven domestic animal expansion!
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 04:52:00 pm »

Version 1.1 is out
Updated and added some descriptors and changed faulty ones
Fixed graphics, they should work properly now.
Added gizzards to reptiles.
Snow goats now have cooler hometherm and can breath cold air (purely cosmetic)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2018, 06:49:14 pm »

1. O shit, good thing I hadn't genned up the world yet.

2. Goblins need no equivalent (just saw it on the OP.) They already typically have access to things like trolls, ice wolves, blizzard men, and ogres depending on where they settle, and most of the nastier cavern life irrespective of that most of the time.

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2018, 07:45:03 pm »

1. O shit, good thing I hadn't genned up the world yet.

2. Goblins need no equivalent (just saw it on the OP.) They already typically have access to things like trolls, ice wolves, blizzard men, and ogres depending on where they settle, and most of the nastier cavern life irrespective of that most of the time.

1. I havent had time to test everything until today. Fixed some pretty shameful graphics bugs, and everything should be working fine now.

here is a screencap with mephs tileset:

Other than that, there may be a few kinks i may want to smooth out, such as Milk-counters or which creatures should hav the [BENIGN] token. As it is now, you can supply your fortress with Fortress Aphid Mead as your only source of drinks, which is partially intended.

Although for the Aphid honey to work, you will need to change the MAKE_MEAD reaction, since it is not included in the mod. (Replace Honey bee with any creature mat.) This one should work:

If you use any of Sackheads Skin Glob fixes (skins are butchered as globs and placed in the glob stockpile), you will also need a standard tan hide reaction for sheared skin, since sheared skin wont be yielded as globs.

2. You are right. Though I have already set my sights elsewhere, such as a "Silly Dwarven Domestic Mod", with this being the standard. With Giant Dessert Scorpions, Cave Canaries and Carpdogs

Or an Arctic biome expansion, being an arctic person myself. Or a cavern biome expansion based on the deep sea with Anglerfish and luminescent beasts.
As of now, I have already done the raws for them, but wont post anything until I finish making the graphics.

Also, any idea what causes this?

Cant recall this happening in my vanilla saves. Perhaps its related to how the animals are added in the entity file?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 08:03:28 pm by vettlingr »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2018, 08:23:31 pm »

Carpdogs sound like they'd actually be a perfect amphibious fighting animal if made sufficiently nasty. Put a bunch of violent amphibious fish dogs in your moat, and any idiot unlucky enough dodge in (or get pitched in naked) has a fish thing as the last thing they ever see. Cave canaries sound less silly and more like a pretty common pet bird for dwarves and goblins, actually, meybe even regarded as the domestic equivalent of cave swallows.

Cave Addon - ZM5's got a good one, and something based more on "mundane" bio-luminescent creatures sounds pretty neat to companion with it (as his adds various undead monsters, fungal mutants, and other really messed up stuff, but very little in the realm of the mundane.) My prehistoric pack also has some stuff that can be found in the upper caverns and mountains as well (cave bears, lions, moas and terror birds among other things,) so maybe pack hunting reptiles, amphibious deep ogres (angler fish + ogre?) and vermin hunting firefly-like  glowflies would be a good place to start?

Arctic addon - There's one out actually, dunno what more could be done that this mod doesn't already cover, besides maybe making more cold-weather-friendly versions of existing animals.

Silly Addon - Just from your naming of the example, I imagined a scorpion that looks all kinds of vicious.... were it not for the whip-cream-with-cherries looking fur on its back and a stinger that resembles a peeled banana, peel included, and if tamed could have the stinger milked for a delicious banana cream substance that could be made into cheese that gives happy thoughts.

And this definitely looks like it pairs well with Mephs, and would probably work well with Vordak's and Pheobus as well. Good job.  :)

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2018, 09:12:09 pm »

OMG! I love Deep ogres! Gives me cuthuluesque vibes.

Cave canaries are throwbacks to when miners used them to check carbon dioxide levels in mines. dead bird = get out!
Dwarven canaries takes this one step further though, they also provide lots of eggs! Its also possible to give them a syndrome that always makes them suffocate after say 5 years. "Cave Canary was found dead, suffocated".

The Abyssial/deep sea cave mod started out by adding a few alternatives to cave fish for dwarven fishermen. I've done all the [MUNDANE] creatures, but for the extraordinary, I work slowly, since my design philosophy is quite modest, and I want to avoid making anything too unrelatable or impossible. Although something too simple such as "the deep sea/cave version of terrestrial creature X" doesn't cut it either and gets only a few passes. Just as much as a creature such as "Schivvaffess The six-armed armor-plated-beetlesquidhorses of the abyssial caves" gets cluttery at best, and undermines forgotten beasts.

What im trying to say, is that you kind of have to weigh up the extraordinary with the mundane. If you like me try out a lot of different mods, and are met by long lists of creature names such as Haveraty, waryulig, kloppurtfert and so forth, it gets tiresome. Im sure that the makers have great ideas, but creatures often play such a small part that it is better to be able to make a clear association right away.

For the arctic mod, i'll add mundan creatures, crowberries and a couple of creatures based on norse mythology. Ill probably pair it up with galliformes birds.

And you are not wrong about the giant dessert scorpion
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 09:52:20 pm by vettlingr »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2018, 11:04:49 pm »

Cavern life in general isn't really normal, and I reflected it with my own cave variants to a degree, but not entirely (main difference is in coloration and size - cave moas and terror birds are smaller, cave lions lack manes for the males, and they all tend to have weird colors to blend in with cave moss and the like.)

In general though apart from fishable stuff, which isn't a bad thing, cavern mods probably need to do stuff to help them stand out - the deep ogre idea isn't necessarily some cthulue-esque monster, it's just a huge angler fish man that smashes stuff and is probably a distant relative of the common fish man in the caverns. So to stick to genuinely mundane in any sense, you'd have to probably err more on the side of things related to other existing creatures, and cavern variants of above ground animals with larger or smaller sizes and more fantastic colors for camouflage and plus or minus some details.

And I figured the cave canary was a canary in the coal mine bit. :P

As to the Dessert Scorpion, i dunno about you, but I don't like the idea of being hideously mauled by what is essentially a bug pretending to be a giant bowl of ice cream.

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2018, 01:58:08 pm »

Ill just put animals into categories, then decide which one should weigh more.

(Examples do not reflect animals included or planned)
Mundane Beasts - Animals based on real ones

Examples: Sleeper sharks, Gulper Eels, Anglerfish, Giant Isopods
Feature Beasts - Giant or Anthropomorphised animals or animal counterparts to the theme.

Examples: Deep Ogres (Glowgre?), Anglerfishmen.
Functional - Animals who are there to provide a function, such as [MISCHEIVOUS] or provides a reasource [WOOL], [SHELL], [SILK] or [PEARL]
Examples: Baublejelly, Sticky Lureworm, Lantern Terrapin.
Monsters - Pure Imagination.
Examples: Luminecesnt Tentaclevore, Radioactive Octipusparakeet, Phosphorescent Kraken

Generic naming, Feature and Monster beasts (deep sea/bioluminescence):
Suffixes: Abyssial- Angler- Bauble- Bulb- Cinder- Deep- Fathom- Gleam- Glow- Lantern- Lure- Shine- Stillwater-
Prefixes (land): -beast -creeper -gobbler -king -lord -lurker -maw -mouth -roamer -runner -stalker -tooth -waddler

And so forth. Although, a better way to get good ideas is simply sitting down to draw. ;)

As for the scorpion of after dinner delights, who said anything about you? As far as im concerned, only Elves and Goblins will be on the wrong end of those icecream-and-chocolate-speckled pincers. :D
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7