- 0 (0%)
No!
- 1 (14.3%)
I dunno, I just work here.
- 3 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: September 13, 2018, 05:38:04 pm

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: [47.05] DBDB v1.4 - A dwarven domestic animal expansion! Updated 10 May-21.  (Read 43042 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: [44.12] DBDB v1.1 - A dwarven domestic animal expansion!
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2018, 11:04:00 pm »

I'm giving this a bump because it deserves it, and I'd like to say I'm loving these beasties.

A shoveldon managed to brutalize an elephant demon in worldgen of a world I'm planning something with, and they're more than a match for most giant undead animals (my commander's pet one-shotted a giant coyote zombie.) The Bristlebacks have also proven to be exceptionally brave critters, and saved their owner and another soldier one multiple occasions.

The graphics definitely pair exceedingly well with Meph's now that I've used the animals more heavily.

I sincerly hope you do plan on more animals, because these things are proving amazing additions.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2018, 06:06:50 am »

By the way, is this mod in the Mod List thread? Because it very much should be for that added visibility to players with a newly discovered craving for mods.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2018, 04:32:36 pm »

1. O shit, good thing I hadn't genned up the world yet.

2. Goblins need no equivalent (just saw it on the OP.) They already typically have access to things like trolls, ice wolves, blizzard men, and ogres depending on where they settle, and most of the nastier cavern life irrespective of that most of the time.

I can confirm that goblins having [ANIMAL] tags improves the experience and variety of things they'll pluck out. For instance if you tie it to Blind Cave Ogres, goblins will pursue to domesticate them even across distance of cavern layers unlike what [USE_CAVE_ANIMALS] does and [PET_EXOTIC] restrictions normally applying meaning they'll go on a journey for them (though they usually pick them up pretty fast).

• [PET_EXOTIC] & [ANIMAL_ALWAYS_AVAILIBLE] are able to work together to make animals inaccessible (besides restricting classes) but also purchasable from caravans, as a improvement for the modification or maybe a sequel of sorts. You could buy DBDB animals from dwarven traders as non dwarves (with tangental other race modding) but still need to domesticate them from scratch, unlike what [PET] does.
I use [CREATURE_CLASS:EVIL_PET] in order to keep goblins typecasted to picking up anything of the same going through the file after evil creatures and do the same respectively for elves picking up good ones/anything inbetween. Im smitten with Shoveldon's though, they seem like they can naturally be a workhorse while believably hang around in the cavern layers as a oddity when Dralthas (always struck me as too big to live down there) can exist on layer 1.
  • I import trolls into my goblin civilization caravans by making beak dogs pull wagons & using the above [PET_EXOTIC] & [ANIMAL_ALWAYS_AVAILIBLE] for a sort of slave trade
I like the idea of gigantic Jabberer's picking off small cave elephants, reminds me of the small prehistoric 'pygmy' elephants that lived in the mediterreanean Italian island of sicily in our own world.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh and just to add, you can add a reaction class to aphid honey in order to complete the mead creation reaction, rather than handle it seperately the same way [TAN_MAT] works as long as you make everything consistent with handling normal honey.

massey

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2019, 03:28:55 pm »

nice mod. I'm new to posting here, but I have been playing DF for a few years on and off. I have a good grasp of how stockpiles work (I think).
So, the problem, My Dwarfs refuse to store mountain goat wool like they would other types of wool and hair. Getting them to spin to thread also seems very hit and miss. I get "No non rotten material" even though I have loads of mountain wool.
I am about to start a new world and fortress with the default pets enabled along side your new ones and see if it there is any difference.

Also getting tons of combat reports with Whatever "NA!" never had those before...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2019, 03:55:05 am »

The NA thing is presumably some kind of glitch from I think the stygian otter, which has a mood boosting pet greeting interaction, which may not have any Line of Sight restrictions. As to the wool, I personally just don't stockpile it and let it build up in a designated shearing station. Only time I've had that message pop up is when I really have run out of stuff to spin into thread.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2019, 05:37:45 am »

The syntax on the woolly goat and probably the ibex is pretty atrocious now i've looked at them indepth isn't great as they've been done in a non-syntax friendly way, which is why its probably breaking the wool. Though im surpised the creature hasn't refused to load at all.

Spoiler: "Snow Goat Before (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wooly Ibex Before (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "Snow Goat After" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "Wooly Ibex After" (click to show/hide)

Take a entire Yak for instance, I hope the OP can update the mod without the mistake, good creative work else.
Spoiler: "One Whole Yak" (click to show/hide)

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2019, 08:00:32 pm »

The Winter wool/Mountain wool stockpile issue is probably related to the [PREFIX:NONE] token added to the material, though why this causes an issue I do not know, though the bug seems limited to refuse stockpiles. I usually never stockpile hair refuse in my games, so I havent noticed anything, hence that reason.

If requested, I can include a workaround in the next update. The [PREFIX:NONE] tag is there to prevent cluttery elongated names such as "Woolly Ibex Mountain Wool Left Sock" but rather "Winter Wool Left Sock" and "Mountain Wool Right Sock" as well as adding some variance and "standard" to the dwarven basic materials.

I still have no idea what causes the NA! shouting. I think its because in DBDB_interaction.txt    [I_TARGET:C:CREATURE] needs to be changed to    [I_TARGET:B:CREATURE] since no C:Creature is specified it affects all. (EDIT: Confirmed Fix)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 08:11:02 pm by vettlingr »

terqo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2019, 02:08:29 am »

Awesome mod! This is exactly the kind of stuff I've been looking for! I think you've very well captured the style and feeling of vanilla DF with these critters.

Do you have any plans on making any wild animals in the same semi-reality-based-fantasy-style? I like your design choices with these so I think the wild animals found in the game would also benefit a lot from your input.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2019, 12:22:50 pm »

Neat, light mod, a really nice addition to spice up the dwarves a bit. I would say, it is already very much compatible with anything, using modular files and whatnot :)

A little thing, though: Shoveldons are war trainable, yet are benign meanderers. I assume, they aren't intended to be war beasts?
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2019, 01:05:08 pm »

They seem to mostly serve as wagon pullers, but once they get stuck in, hoo boy are they devastating.

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2019, 09:30:27 pm »

Awesome mod! This is exactly the kind of stuff I've been looking for! I think you've very well captured the style and feeling of vanilla DF with these critters.

Do you have any plans on making any wild animals in the same semi-reality-based-fantasy-style? I like your design choices with these so I think the wild animals found in the game would also benefit a lot from your input.
I thought about doing an extended subterranean creature mod where I enhance the existing creatures with reproducable materials etc. while adding a few unique creatures with fun mechanics, like subterranean whales/leviathans.

Neat, light mod, a really nice addition to spice up the dwarves a bit. I would say, it is already very much compatible with anything, using modular files and whatnot :)

A little thing, though: Shoveldons are war trainable, yet are benign meanderers. I assume, they aren't intended to be war beasts?
Shoveldons are elephants, and elephants have those tags. Furthermore, making them into powerful killing machines undermines the Bristleback and Badgerwolf, which are more reliable.

They seem to mostly serve as wagon pullers, but once they get stuck in, hoo boy are they devastating.
Yes! they are supposed to be a strong defence for early forts from meandering critters. Now how do I replicate the elephant amok in DF?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 05:09:22 am by vettlingr »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2019, 09:49:33 pm »

Just figured I'd add a little story: A siege came. Nothing fancy, just 30 dark stranglers.

The militia commander, who had been assigned a shoveldon, was caught out, with only his shoveldon at his side. What ensued was the most heartfelt thing ever as the shoveldon went full RIP AND TEAR mode on the creatures, stamping and goring them left and right even as the biome resurrected them. By the end, the poor beast was absolutely covered in bite and scratch injuries and both it and the MC were absolutely exhausted when the enemy finally fled, but they drove off the attack (thank the gods for horror responses affecting enemies as well as your own dudes, otherwise I'm sure they would have both been killed.)

Such was its unflagging devotion and devastating effect on the stranglers (and numerous undead kangaroos before and since,) it earned a full-heal.

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2019, 07:01:33 am »

Why this animals looks not in atmosphere? You can just remove common domestic from mountain civ and make cave pets not exotic. Also add them milk, wool, vermin hunting and training.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2019, 07:09:54 am »

Why this animals looks not in atmosphere? You can just remove common domestic from mountain civ and make cave pets not exotic. Also add them milk, wool, vermin hunting and training.

Im sure you probably could, a easy way to do this yourself is to just edit out [COMMON_DOMESTIC] on the creature file add a [CREATURE_CLASS:DOMESTIC] group to all the real world farm animals and apply it to the [ANIMAL] entity tags to make them appear in civilizations you want only.

Mod creator's left it open ended i guess.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7