Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Performance  (Read 1712 times)

Gilead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Performance
« on: September 03, 2018, 05:16:28 pm »

Hi!

I played adventure mode for like, half an hour, exploring the fortress I spawned in. At first, the game was fluid and I was walking fast, every time I hit a move key, I moved instantly. Then, my fps started to drop, and I ended up moving at a very slow rate, the game moving my character more than a second after I hit the move key.

Is there something that can be done to prevent that ?

My CPU is an Intel Core i5-6600
My GPU is a GeForce GTX 970
I have 8GB of RAM

Thanks for reading me.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Performance
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 05:27:15 pm »

Leave the Fortress. Things should speed up.
Highly populated sites cause heavy lag right now.

Gilead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 06:24:43 pm »

Ok, thanks. So in the wild I should be fine?

Then, I only have to find the exit of the fortress xD

Mort Stroodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 06:40:15 pm »

Smaller hamlets and hillocks are actually better choices for most of your actual adventuring anyways, it's much easier to find the one guy who knows directions to the dragon when there's only thirty people around. Though you'll want to try to pick up leather armor and recruit some companions with combat experience before you go. Also, fortress taverns (right next to the depot) are the easiest source of alcohol.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 08:07:45 pm »

Are you sure it's not the character being slow? That number at the bottom of the screen - normally 1.000 - is your movement speed. If you're moving slower then each move takes longer then the game has more to simulate per move. You can somewhat mitigate an actually slow fps or being overburdened by jogging (press shift+s). Make sure you don't slow your character down by picking up everything or crawling everywhere. Moving onto a square that's occupied by multiple other creatures (which often happens on the center spiral ramps) will cause you to automatically lay down "on the ground".
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Gilead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 08:10:48 am »

You were right! I was crawling, thank you!
Now this raised the question: Why was I crawling? I'm sure I never hit shift+S...

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 08:30:36 am »

You were right! I was crawling, thank you!
Now this raised the question: Why was I crawling? I'm sure I never hit shift+S...
Someone walked into you and you fell over, probably. Happens more than you'd expect...

Gilead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 08:38:16 am »

Oh! Who dared do that? People are so impolite.

Thanks for the tip, I'll watch more carefully where I'm going.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 08:13:03 pm »

Here's a tip for when you end up on the ground and you can't stand up because someone's in the way. If any of the 8 spaces around you are empty you can dodge into that space much faster than you can move into it. You'll have to [A]im an attack at someone and confirm it, but as long as you only dodge, it won't count as an attack.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2018, 11:11:25 pm »

A few things that *seem* to make a bit of difference re:same tile occupancy.

Set combat prefs to charge/stand ground/stand ground. Adds a bit more positional control, though who stands and who crawls is dependent on who enters the "contested" tile first.

Suppositional to this is if NPCs are moving through a corridor, and your character chooses to pass time and remain on their current tile, along with the stand ground setting, size seems to make for a difference.

Could be imagining things.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 11:17:20 pm »

Avoid adventure mode dwarves unless they lived in hillocks or human sites. The fortresses are a pain in the ass to get out of even with DFHack. Just use DFHack to raise your z-position in increments of 3.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Gilead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2018, 02:13:23 pm »

Thank you all for these advices!

Dragonunion

• Bay Watcher
  • ... challenging the monsters of the depths
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2018, 05:59:47 am »

Goblin fortresses are often even worse because there are many more entities then in dwarf fortresses. The lag in a high populated fort makes the game unplayable
The old apple revels in its authority.

Senator Jim Death

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2018, 10:32:47 pm »

If worse comes to worst, and you can't move at all for all the entities around you, you have a couple DFHack options: exterminate (use with caution) and questport. The former will just kill things (and dead things don't need as much processing as live ones) and the latter can move you to a site away from where you are--useful if you get hopelessly lost and don't feel like losing (another) adventurer to impatience.
If it's not trying to be fun, it's not trying to be a video game.