Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: The Villain Arc hype thread!  (Read 17257 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: The Villain Arc hype thread!
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2018, 08:36:32 pm »

Obtaining a name through killing a historical figure counts - like the practice to name trolls by having them slaughter migrant pet before they topple a statue in temple.

Even just talking may count; (it supposedly does in adv.). At the very least I've watched visiting swarms of animal people go from 'sterile' to 'fertile' icon with relations-indicator, meaning they have become historical from interrupting my dwarves, even without killing anybody. That was in 43.03, though, so may not work so much anymore now that Toady reduced fort-mode talking.

Though bringing this back to villain arc, this means you could potentially have your last fortress's milita captain's pet dog be the villain plotting to end your current fort.
The dog was the mastermind.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
  • Cease hostilities? Never!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2018, 12:03:52 am »

I am hoping that some new interesting stuff comes out for modders :D
I once had a 30 dwarf glacier fortress once.. was going great till the dwarf merchants brought along a WereKoala and killed everyone...

Real_bang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2018, 02:25:44 am »

New blog post says cool stuff about new links being formed. Cant wait for the villain arc to finally be playable

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2018, 03:56:53 am »

I wonder when we'll get the first release. This month, or next month? Or maybe the month after?
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

OluapPlayer

• Bay Watcher
  • In a time before time, I attacked me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2018, 12:47:44 pm »

Forgive me for my ignorance but I'm yet to find out what the whole villain thing really entails. The dev notes aren't exactly clear since Toady just comments on how villains form relationships for reasons but I still don't understand the purpose of it all.

How do these "villains" affect the game? Are they just quest objectives or do they have anything special going on for them? Are they going to be involved in fortress mode in any significant way? The notes say "extort from the fortress" but that sounds mostly identical to the current sieges.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2018, 01:41:19 pm »

Forgive me for my ignorance but I'm yet to find out what the whole villain thing really entails. The dev notes aren't exactly clear since Toady just comments on how villains form relationships for reasons but I still don't understand the purpose of it all.

How do these "villains" affect the game? Are they just quest objectives or do they have anything special going on for them? Are they going to be involved in fortress mode in any significant way? The notes say "extort from the fortress" but that sounds mostly identical to the current sieges.
it really means that relations mean a hell lot more now and might start and end wars.
it might create politics like during the crusades, where peacetreaties were made by arranging a marriage between the two rivals' children.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2018, 02:23:17 pm »

Of course, I see the ability to create more detailed and engaging stories in both modes as enough of a purpose unto itself. DF is a fantasy story generator above all else, after all. In that sense, antagonists with actual concrete motivations behind their villainous actions are absolutely necessary in the long-term for immersion's sake (forming more complex relationships with other NPCs in worldgen is a part of that).
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Tinnucorch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2018, 02:26:45 pm »

Villains will create networks (hence the necessity of fleshing out relationships a bit more) and will plot to achieve a variety of things like theft, assasination or conquest. Agents of such villains should be eventually able to infiltrate your fort and work against you (sabotaging your defenses, for example).

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2018, 06:04:10 pm »

Villains will create networks (hence the necessity of fleshing out relationships a bit more) and will plot to achieve a variety of things like theft, assasination or conquest. Agents of such villains should be eventually able to infiltrate your fort and work against you (sabotaging your defenses, for example).

I'm reasonably sure bits of this are already a thing. Bards can be on goblin payroll and mark down the locations of traps, spies and vampires can visit the fort while assuming a false name, and wereelephants created in one fort can show up as migrants in subsequent ones, unless you take care to kill every last one.
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

Tinnucorch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2018, 06:20:40 pm »

I'm reasonably sure bits of this are already a thing. Bards can be on goblin payroll and mark down the locations of traps, spies and vampires can visit the fort while assuming a false name, and wereelephants created in one fort can show up as migrants in subsequent ones, unless you take care to kill every last one.

I was thinking only about new stuff, but you are right. I'm not sure if thieves are already in also. I had a couple of visitors who pretended to came just for relax who where actually looking for artifacts and eventually turned hostile, but in a very weird fashion - being outside of the fortress, not having stolen anything and with a threatening announcement. I guess it'll be fixed with the new release.

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2018, 09:48:25 pm »

It's supposed to tie mechanics together and create a narrative.
For example you get attacked by some bandits, but if you look more into it, you find out that they were actually ordered/ paid (if only we had an economy) to raid you by some guy who for some reason wants control over one of your hillocks or whatever and if you look into it even more then you find out that he was actually influenced into doing this by some goblin demon king who wanted to destabilise the region.
At least that's the thought behind the villain arc. We'll only really see how detailed this stuff gets once the thing is actually released.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2018, 02:05:35 am »

Tarn has also hinted at in the devlog that some things will happen if your nobles/administrators get turned over by the villains, but that he won’t spoil the details and let us work out what they are for ourselves.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2018, 08:41:55 am »

It's supposed to tie mechanics together and create a narrative.
For example you get attacked by some bandits, but if you look more into it, you find out that they were actually ordered/ paid (if only we had an economy) to raid you by some guy who for some reason wants control over one of your hillocks or whatever and if you look into it even more then you find out that he was actually influenced into doing this by some goblin demon king who wanted to destabilise the region.
At least that's the thought behind the villain arc. We'll only really see how detailed this stuff gets once the thing is actually released.
true.
i hope they create such great plots. the more unexpected, the better it becomes. thinking of Baldur'sGate's Plotline with all its ties to sideplots and its unexpected backgroundplot.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2018, 04:45:45 pm »

UristMcPlotting Pants:

“In a time before time, I attacked myself.”

“Release the hounds.”

*magic update happens, and he transforms the hounds into strawberries*

‘here lies, Blighted-Wool, esteemed Hound. Blighted-Wool is 2 inches in diameter, it’s flesh is rosey red. Small seeds cover encrust it’s body. Now you know why they fear the night!’

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2018, 11:59:47 pm »

This thread has missed the biggest bonus from this arc. Relationship improvements. We no longer need marriages to have kids! And if someone marries and the spouse dies, they'll go back out on the market and find a new one. This, right here, is the strongest point for this whole arc for anyone who does generational forts.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7