Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: The Villain Arc hype thread!  (Read 17294 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: The Villain Arc hype thread!
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2018, 01:49:49 am »

Damnit man, now I have to start reading Homestuck again.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Isher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2018, 09:05:40 am »

So... this is a shorter arc, right? With a due date sometime soon, after which there will be a longer arc? Cause if so, I can actually bring myself to play it a while after release. I usually wait until the beginning of a long arc.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2018, 10:30:56 am »

This is a half-long arc, which is supposed to be finished at the end of the year, bug fixes and all. The first (unstable?) version should hopefully come out within a few weeks. Then begins the Big Wait, which is supposed to last a few years, before the myths&magic update/arc.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2018, 02:58:08 pm »

I can hold on as long as we get at least monthly devlogs. We usually get them every week or two, even during those long hauls, so I'll be fine.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2018, 03:44:40 pm »

I can hold on as long as we get at least monthly devlogs. We usually get them every week or two, even during those long hauls, so I'll be fine.
I can hold on as long as the current version runs without unbearable bugs (like Mousequery messing up, as it currently does in 44.12r1)
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2018, 03:59:35 pm »

I can hold on as long as the current version runs without unbearable bugs (like Mousequery messing up, as it currently does in 44.12r1)
Isn't that a util/dfhack plugin thing?
Work on those won't stop.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2018, 02:30:57 pm »

it worked in 44.09 and since they merged twbt and dfhack, they chose to dump the working one and used the one that refused to work on nonwidescreens
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2018, 04:12:48 pm »

it worked in 44.09 and since they merged twbt and dfhack, they chose to dump the working one and used the one that refused to work on nonwidescreens
And that has nothing at all to do with the development of Dwarf Fortress. "they" will keep working on 3rd party utils throughout the Big Wait, probably more so as there won't be any version catch up to put up with for a couple of years.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2018, 08:06:18 pm »

Forgive me for my ignorance but I'm yet to find out what the whole villain thing really entails. The dev notes aren't exactly clear since Toady just comments on how villains form relationships for reasons but I still don't understand the purpose of it all.

How do these "villains" affect the game? Are they just quest objectives or do they have anything special going on for them? Are they going to be involved in fortress mode in any significant way? The notes say "extort from the fortress" but that sounds mostly identical to the current sieges.
What it means is there will be actual villains with plans and cronies and such to create narratives. He mentioned if you pester them Enough in adventure mode they may hire people to assassinate you. You could interrogate people to find more information and such  It basically means adventure mode can actually have some kind of procedural narrative for you to follow. I can’t wait to uncover global conspiracies and stuff and track down and end them. In adventure mode, this is incredibly exciting. If you have read many of the threetoe stories this is the piece of the pie we need to actually start creating proto-versions of those kind of immersive narratives.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 08:07:50 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 28, 2018, 08:52:39 am »

And that has nothing at all to do with the development of Dwarf Fortress. "they" will keep working on 3rd party utils throughout the Big Wait, probably more so as there won't be any version catch up to put up with for a couple of years.
well, maybe i have to poke them enough to fix it then :D

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2018, 07:53:56 am »

I'm definitely excited about having more characters react to my actions and forming grudges.

In all honesty, I'm also looking forward to all the new memes the bugs of the first release is bound to create almost as much. Like, maybe towns will make peace with wild animals by marrying their daughters to them, spies infiltrating armies as warhorses, or power of friendship solving all the world's problems. It is inevitable.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2018, 09:29:02 am »

I'm definitely excited about having more characters react to my actions and forming grudges.

In all honesty, I'm also looking forward to all the new memes the bugs of the first release is bound to create almost as much. Like, maybe towns will make peace with wild animals by marrying their daughters to them, spies infiltrating armies as warhorses, or power of friendship solving all the world's problems. It is inevitable.

Those all sound like features to me

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2018, 10:06:38 am »

you forgot the king declaring war to the clams and sending all their soldiers to drown inthe river.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2018, 11:44:31 am »

Nonsense. Everyone knows the giant sponges are the worst threat in the water.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7