Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Antinomy of the Five Spectra (IC) -- The Academy Exam  (Read 16081 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Antinomy of the Five Spectra (IC) -- The Academy Exam
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2018, 04:28:03 pm »

Octavia thinks for a moment, then decides to ask for a clarification on the rules. "I know that I must remain in the box painted on the ground during the race... But does the box itself need to remain stationary?"
"...Hah!  Well thought!"
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2018, 04:43:30 pm »

"And testing?  Are we allowed to make test runs?"

Elena doesn't really expect to receive assistance from the spirit, or be able to communicate with it well, such craft not being her field.  She might, however, have something she can do to render it intelligible...

"You may take the block as you wish. I don't mind if you carry it away and never come back, let alone what you do with it till noon. I do suggest you get a feel for the track."

Octavia thinks for a moment, then decides to ask for a clarification on the rules. "I know that I must remain in the box painted on the ground during the race... But does the box itself need to remain stationary?"

The proctor nods.
"There are no rules beyond what is stated. But be warned, if there is no box for you to stand in, it will be all the same as your having left it."

Nevertheless, Elena is set on her task: crafting a vehicle out of the stone and crystal set before her, and making it drive.

The wheels will be easy to form from the marble. Perfectly round cylinders of solid stone, each Lv1, for a total of Lv1x4 for them all. (No Masterwork)

The vehicle chassis itself likewise should be simple, depending on how much effort you are willing to devote to a one-off project. So much as hollowing it out and punching a couple of holes, you will need some tools, or some precise use of destructive magic. Lv2x2 most likely, for the axle, bushing, and housing. (+2 for Masterwork)

The tricky parts will be guidance and the powerplant. If you could find a transmitter and some filters it would be easy to bypass the generalized noise in the room. But for a mechanical engine you'd need a differential gear, a transmission, a set of motors, and a power source. Not something trivial, mind you, to construct in 3 hours, but you could perhaps find something in a marketplace.
If you were to use a wavegear to provide thrust, like the hovering creatures of the radio forest, who extend invisible hands that lift themselves off the ground, then you would need mostly an engram crystal and a power source, along with metal rods to bend into an antenna. A small servo motor can change the heading, provided you first find a transmitter.

To power such a wavegear, you would need a source of magical energy. You momentarily recall a situation at home. An antenna, covered by tentacled birds with their limbs wrapped around it, absorbing all the power through their metallic skin.

Hmm, What to do, what to do... Ignition artifice combo?
Caelum begins cutting up her rock into 4 parts, 1 part to levitate and provide forward thrust constantly, 2 to levitate constantly but provide thrust forwards only if they sense a florescent red line 1 foot forwards and a little to the left or right of them, if they don't they provide half thrust in reverse.  Then she artifices a vehicle for her gem using the resources  from the academy and the rocks, by placing the conditional thrust providers on opposite sides, she can make a primitive line follower, one which should stop when it reaches the finish line, hopefully... She gets the teachers to check her plan before she starts, just to be sure.

Chopping the rock would be simple with a saw, but with magic? There is always a risk of blasting it apart. (Lv2x2 if you were to do it yourself) (No Masterwork)

The three wavegears you seek to craft will require engram crystals in order to provide thrust. Action requires a reaction, so pushing against the ground will work. A simple telekinesis spell would do it. Even you should be able to cast that kind of spell at point blank. Good crystals on the other hand, are hard to find... but surely someone on campus will be willing to part with a lower-quality sample, which would be sufficient for this.

The line detection will need some sort of ocular system. Generally you can get those from animals... but harassing the wildlife is likely out of the question at such a prestigious school. You might have to convince someone to give these to you, unless you can come up with some perfect glass spheres yourself. (Lv. 3x1, requires sand) (+3 for Masterwork)

You surmise that the wavegears will need a power source. Something to liberate magical energy. Any ignition should theoretically do, even an unchecked one, although unless you wish to ignite the whole place you ought to use a metallic mesh to keep the signal trapped inside a bubble, and metal waveguides to conduct energy out of it into the waveguide. You've learned the hard way not to start an unchecked ignition in open air.

Imperfect Ignition [Permanent]: A signal that burns mist constantly in order to rebroadcast itself. Can cause a fiery explosion if uncontained.

Would a speaker/microphone, infused with magic dust, allow the transmission of communication to and from the spiritual plane?

Would it be something Elena might already have?

To communicate with spirits, one must receive the signal from the environment and also understand it. A true spiritseer has developed neural pathways for interpretation as such. Perhaps that is how they can translate from this crackling and popping noise in their skulls, to actual speech. Being unable to interpret the signals yourself, you would need outside help even if you could amplify them to make them louder.

Italics only are for thoughts

That's a new one.. Hmm..

Hop on top of the block. Listen and converse with this strange spirit. I have plenty of time for this. Wonder what it's life has been like.

I have spoken to Elemental spirits before, and I can understand them. Not to mention having my own young spirits within me.

The spirit which you turn your focus on, finding your gaze, approaches you in a swirl and circulates around the marble block as you converse with it.

You offer me knowledge? What I seek... is the knowledge to build a heart. For years I have held this pitiful, degrading form, and no biology can sustain the hunger of my thoughts. If I could build an organ to power me and sustain myself, I could live as long as humans do, it hums into your mind.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2018, 05:15:31 pm »

Octavia briefly entertains the idea of moving the square to the finish line before the race even begins... But ultimately decides against it. After all, they never explained how this test would be graded.

She decided on a plan. She would instead place the square onto the block, converting it into a vehicle that she must remain on. The block would be trivially easy to move with her tempestry abilities, and being in direct contact with such a magically inclined material would allow her to move extremely quickly and accurately.

First... She would politely inform the spirit inside the block that she was going to need this block, and that it should leave if it is not there for the purpose of assisting her. Then she would get to work. She would measure the box on the ground and hollow the inside of the stone. It would be set up in such a way that the square could be placed inside the stone so that she would not be able to step outside of the square; and just to be safe she would use some of that stone to design shackles with which to ensure that her feet would not be lifted above the sqaure. She would also include a square indent on the bottom of the inside of the vehicle to ensure that the box kept its form, And she would use ignition to keep the box from being displaced...  For good measure, she would ask for some advice regarding the stability of the box before she messed with it. Probably freezing the ground prior to any actual attempt to move it.

The next step would be to make the vehicle more vehicle like with her artificiering abilities. She would create four wheels to place at the bottom of it, and she would create some "Fins" out of stone to help the block keep its balance. The box would be shortened to the point where she would be able to see while standing in the box without difficulty.

And just in case something went wrong, she would prepare a contingency plan using wavecraft, to create an external device that could turn the wheels of the vehicle. She was confident that her Tempestry wouldn't conk out during the race, but not so confident that she wouldn't be prepared for that eventuality.

If she had any time after that... She would consider what else she could do then.

That was the plan at least. Now it was time to get started.
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2018, 05:18:23 pm »

"That's fairly interesting.."

"Biology. Like a body, only with you inhabiting it?"

Would this stone work as one.. Well, if helping is within my ability to do, why not.

"Maybe the Crystal as the heart, and stone the body?"

"Sorry, thinking. I'm fine helping you out, and I don't need all this stone anyway. Just a bit of it. I could probably just use the crystal itself though."

"Quote" italics are the conversation, regular italics are my thought.

Conversation start.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2018, 05:21:52 pm »

((Okay, I don't know what you're trying to convey with that memory.))
The proctor nods.
"There are no rules beyond what is stated. But be warned, if there is no box for you to stand in, it will be all the same as your having left it."
"...solution B: stick box on top of marble and brute-force it.  Less elegant, but effective."

Is the crystal provided in the test suitable for engrammification?

I would like to roll for "Didn't I pack some of these components?".  Especially solar power, antennas, and transmitters/filters.

...so basically all of them.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 05:27:13 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2018, 05:29:06 pm »

Aha! I think I have a plan... Anyone here have an engram crystal, animal eye, or glass sphere they would be willing to part with?She uses a saw to cut up the rock and get to the gem. Then she checks the crystal to see if it is capable of being used as an engram crystal
First, she checks to see what she brought with her, then if she didn't bring an engram crystal or ocular system. She asks around to see if someone would be willing to part with some form of ocular system (animal eyes or glass spheres) or low quality engram crystals. If no one was willing to part with an ocular system, she goes and purchases/grabs sand to make some glass spheres. Once that is done she begins acquiring the stuff to make a metal mesh for an ignition based power source, or 3.
She also contemplates how effectively she could use unchecked ignition as a propulsion system, by pushing air through one way and having the back be wide open.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 05:31:47 pm by dgr11897 »
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2018, 05:32:33 pm »

*~---!

Perhaps, transmutation of stone to air and wind?

"If I may ask, are aligned with any particular element? I may just be able to craft an elemental body with a core of light and mist to absorb material for energy. I myself am contracted to Wind and Lightning from my home, Sylva lucus Vita."

Think about the mechanics involved in creation of a body. I have an excellent material in this stone to work with for the few bits of earth I may need. And Wind and Lightning is in abundance within me, Wind more so..

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2018, 05:42:12 pm »

"I can make engram crystals, but might need a power source, if someone wants to trade effort for effort?"
Sigtext

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2018, 05:43:39 pm »

I would like to roll for "Didn't I pack some of these components?".  Especially solar power, antennas, and transmitters/filters.

...so basically all of them.

[3] You did build your kit with you. Normally, you would have access to soldering, wiring, passives, and some batteries/solar panels, but the prevailing wisdom at the hour guessed that it would be a written exam and not... this. Needless to say, the items are currently with the rest of your luggage, waiting to pass customs on what was quite frankly a busy day at Inberlin's cruiser port.

...surely a lab on campus might have some.

As for the crystal supporting engrams: The easiest way to find out would be to try and program it yourself. Hit it with the spell you were planning on echoing and see if it sticks! If not, you will want to find a material with a lot of mist suspended into the bulk of it, so that you can perform the alteration into an engram-storing material. Come to think of it, the marble itself seems to be like that...

PSA: Will be busy for a few hours. Will answer the rest of the questions afterward.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 05:48:54 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2018, 05:46:00 pm »

Sure, let's test it.

...and if it doesn't take the first time, I'm definitely going to have a ton of marble left over, so we can do the other thing!

But first, to the labs!  For parts!
Sigtext

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2018, 11:45:33 pm »

Vallernius gazed over the track, thinking about how to move the crystal sans marble block. The crystal is all that matters in this, so trying to moving the rest of the block would take too much energy and time, so a vehicle would not suffice.

What of a catapult or cannon then? The former would be simple to create with Artifice, the latter more complex but still reasonable. If there are no obstructions, he could just launch the crystal over the track to the finish point, assuming the crystal doesn't need to survive the race whole.

Check the track any obstructions or other difficulties that would preclude launching the crystal.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2018, 12:01:53 am »

"I can make engram crystals, but might need a power source, if someone wants to trade effort for effort?"
"You could use one of those crystals as a power source, just need to figure what you want to fire out of it and how you're going to cut through the noise or activate it at a range."

There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2018, 09:49:53 am »

"Normally that wouldn't be a problem, but my usual supplies are tied up in customs...

Waaaait.  Guys!  The track doesn't matter!"

Time to plonk my block at the end of the track and embed a delayed-action "flip over" spell into it.  And if the track is red and I can make a red box out of it...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 10:28:46 am by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2018, 01:07:01 pm »

*~---!

Perhaps, transmutation of stone to air and wind?

"If I may ask, are aligned with any particular element? I may just be able to craft an elemental body with a core of light and mist to absorb material for energy. I myself am contracted to Wind and Lightning from my home, Sylva lucus Vita."

Think about the mechanics involved in creation of a body. I have an excellent material in this stone to work with for the few bits of earth I may need. And Wind and Lightning is in abundance within me, Wind more so..

You are not aware of any way to transmute ordinary matter into energy. Matter and mist are separate substances. In the realm of spirits, the mist serves a role like the atoms and cells that make up your body, and the energy held in the mist is like the energy held inside your cells, inside the bonds between atoms. This is what you learned about the world when you were small.

You also learned of an ancient theory, that matter and energy are one and the same. That everything, in essence, is energy. But tapping into this is something you never learned how to do. Splitting atoms apart to take their energy? Sounds kind of difficult.

"Normally that wouldn't be a problem, but my usual supplies are tied up in customs...

Waaaait.  Guys!  The track doesn't matter!"

Time to plonk my block at the end of the track and embed a delayed-action "flip over" spell into it.  And if the track is red and I can make a red box out of it...

You place a hand on the marble block. It's heavy. And there are no wheels to carry it around? Unbelievable.

Everyone else seems to be levitating their block around. If only you'd practiced the skill...

[d4: 2] You have some mild success telling the air underneath the block to hold its weight... a couple of centimeters, but that will do for moving the block around. You step out onto the track and head over to the finish line, disregarding the curve in front of you... but as soon as you step over the red lane marker you feel the marble block toppling over backwards on top of you.

Vallernius gazed over the track, thinking about how to move the crystal sans marble block. The crystal is all that matters in this, so trying to moving the rest of the block would take too much energy and time, so a vehicle would not suffice.

What of a catapult or cannon then? The former would be simple to create with Artifice, the latter more complex but still reasonable. If there are no obstructions, he could just launch the crystal over the track to the finish point, assuming the crystal doesn't need to survive the race whole.

Check the track any obstructions or other difficulties that would preclude launching the crystal.

You were about to head over to investigate the track, but Elena seems to have done so first. Now the marble block looks like it's toppling over on her, and you are a couple of meters away (~5).

"That's fairly interesting.."

"Biology. Like a body, only with you inhabiting it?"

Would this stone work as one.. Well, if helping is within my ability to do, why not.

"Maybe the Crystal as the heart, and stone the body?"

"Sorry, thinking. I'm fine helping you out, and I don't need all this stone anyway. Just a bit of it. I could probably just use the crystal itself though."

"Quote" italics are the conversation, regular italics are my thought.

Conversation start.

What I require a body for is not the strength of a construct, but sustenance.

This stone body produces nothing. It feeds no-one. I could make such a body at any time I wish.

What I require is a heart. Something that changes oneself from a dead statue walking, to a creature full of life. I am sick of hunting after magicians to restore my spiritual body, I must do it myself.

First... She would politely inform the spirit inside the block that she was going to need this block, and that it should leave if it is not there for the purpose of assisting her. Then she would get to work. She would measure the box on the ground and hollow the inside of the stone. It would be set up in such a way that the square could be placed inside the stone so that she would not be able to step outside of the square; and just to be safe she would use some of that stone to design shackles with which to ensure that her feet would not be lifted above the sqaure. She would also include a square indent on the bottom of the inside of the vehicle to ensure that the box kept its form, And she would use ignition to keep the box from being displaced...  For good measure, she would ask for some advice regarding the stability of the box before she messed with it. Probably freezing the ground prior to any actual attempt to move it.

((One note, the box is painted on the ground. It's not a physical box, it is a piece of tile flooring. Not to say you cannot move it.))

The Lv.2 spirit inside the box, which only you discovered due to close proximity, wakes up and starts asking questions.

Why did... who moved me? Why am I in this place?

...Why are you asking me a question?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 01:18:27 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2018, 02:04:13 pm »

"Hey! Watch out!"

Try to remotely catch the block falling on Elena, or at least slow it down so she can dodge to the side.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9