Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Antinomy of the Five Spectra (IC) -- The Academy Exam  (Read 16025 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Antinomy of the Five Spectra (IC) -- The Academy Exam
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2018, 02:45:27 pm »

Welp, get out of the way(!) and restabilize the block.

"Ah!  I should have known it would not be that easy!"

That said, if the markers are physical objects, I can co-opt a few for an engine...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 02:48:47 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2018, 02:56:27 pm »

"Hey! Watch out!"

Try to remotely catch the block falling on Elena, or at least slow it down so she can dodge to the side.

[d10: 2 vs noise: 3] You start to cast a spell on the block, the same levitation spell you were planning to cast on your block. Fear holds you back, worrying that you may just as easily push Elena's back into the block, or cause her to lose your balance. The spell does not go through.

Welp, get out of the way(!) and restabilize the block.

"Ah!  I should have known it would not be that easy!"

That said, if the markers are physical objects, I can co-opt a few for an engine...

You back away from the tipping block and it falls at your feet. The block itself holds together as you stumble back toward the other edge of the lane, motor skills dampened by the sudden rush of adrenaline.
On your back you feel a force pushing you forward, catching you before you fall. You turn to look, but there's no-one behind you to have laid a hand on you. Not physically that is.

[d4: 3] You successfully recast the levitation spell.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2018, 03:01:18 pm »

"Thank you, whoever that was."

Alright, let's just slowly push the block through the course to right before the end.  Do I have:
1: some string or something
2: the ability to tell where the force on the block is coming from to know if tying a pushing force generator to the block is a viable method of getting it to move.

If it's just straight-line force...well.  I can set the block up on the straightaway.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 03:35:04 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2018, 03:06:50 pm »

She looks to see it resolved.

"Most of my knowledge is to building magical constructions, not whatever goes into a heart."

"I'll keep an eye out for that info, whatever it is. Can I ask where I can find you if I find the information?"

Nothing more to really do in this conversation, other than maybe get info on where to check if possible.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 03:14:04 pm by TricMagic »

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2018, 03:20:05 pm »

...yeah, I think keeping it simple would be best for my health. No need to risk moving an entire block of marble.

While marble could make a good frame for a catapult, other materials would probably help. He noted the vines covering the hall.

Well those could certainly help. Maybe I could craft those into rope, or even mold it into wood.

Continue out to investigate the track for any obstructions, then head over to the vines on the walls and grab about 2 meters worth. Try to Artifice it into a length of rope.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 03:31:45 pm by HighEndNoob »
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2018, 03:29:08 pm »

"A heart?  I might have a book on that somewhere, although my stuff is all still in customs."
Sigtext

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2018, 03:33:17 pm »

"I spoke out load didn't I..."

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2018, 03:56:02 pm »

If I can determine the center of mass and I know the density of marble and the crystal I can locate the crystal and chisel and cut away the rest. Obtuse crystal dimensions might pose a problem. "There are no Impurities or irregularities in this marble correct? Also what are the approximate dimensions of the crystal?" She asks a proctor.

I'll use basic components to make a small servant and use wire to supply mana power and control the servant from the starting location. He shouldn't need a spirit if I control him directly.

She starts looking a look up table of densities (with marble and the crystal), a lab with the balancing equipment for center of mass calculation and a workshop to build a small (she might scale it up depending on her success with the block) humanoid servant and enough mana conducting wire to guide the servant the whole way through. Also if she bumps into some nice professors she might want to talk to them.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 04:05:01 pm by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2018, 04:28:46 pm »

Octavia considers the situation and gives a response. She would be helpful, yet brief in her interaction.

"You are at the academy in the capital city of Inberlin. Whether your displacement was deliberate or accidental I cannot say. I presume you were either placed here intentionally for the purpose of being a part of the entrance test, or coincidentally so that the marble block or crystal could be placed here."

"If you seek to return from where you came from, then I recommend you proceed to the back of the hallway over there and speak to the professors; they will be able to tell you more than I could."
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2018, 04:42:34 pm »

...yeah, I think keeping it simple would be best for my health. No need to risk moving an entire block of marble.

While marble could make a good frame for a catapult, other materials would probably help. He noted the vines covering the hall.

Well those could certainly help. Maybe I could craft those into rope, or even mold it into wood.

Continue out to investigate the track for any obstructions, then head over to the vines on the walls and grab about 2 meters worth. Try to Artifice it into a length of rope.

You continue your walk, taking the straight path and ignoring the curve at the start of the track.

...You feel a repulsive force. It's like an elastic sheet, too thin to see, stretched out between the floor and ceiling. Perhaps the red stripes on the track are emitting this field? You look up and wonder if it has a ceiling.

You walk away, and head past the practicing students, nearly slipping on the ice one of the women had made. Black ice on dark stone.

At the wall of vines, you outstretch your hand, and a vine comes to meet it. The plants have woody stems. A perfect two-meter length comes off, bisected neatly by magic. [d12: 11] You separate it into a hundred strands by imagining the form of your hair, [d8: 3] and then you wave it all together by imagining a whirlwind. It's a very coarse piece of robe, especially one assembled of woody fibers, but it's probably more flexible and durable than the vine.

If I can determine the center of mass and I know the density of marble and the crystal I can locate the crystal and chisel away the rest. Obtuse crystal dimensions might pose a problem. "There are no Impurities or irregularities in this marble correct? Also what are the approximate dimensions of the crystal?" She asks a proctor.

I'll use basic components to make a small servant and use wire to supply mana power and control the servant from the starting location. He shouldn't need a spirit if I control him directly.

She starts looking a look up table of densities (with marble and the crystal), a lab with the balancing equipment for center of mass calculation and a workshop to build a small (she might scale it up depending on her success with the block) humanoid servant and enough mana conducting wire to guide the servant the whole way through. Also if she bumps into some nice professors she might want to talk to them.

"That is not marble," says the Proctor, with a brief puff of smugness.
"Metamorphic stone is very rare, and contains no functional amount of mist. But it very much resembles pure marble, without impurities. The crystal is crimson quartz, and while the crystals weren't well-controlled for size I'd expect it to be about... this big,"

About the size of a human head.

The humanoid servant could easily be made from wooden blocks and metal hooks, if one is to puppet it manually. You could even buy a doll from someone.
Controlling it through wires would be doable with the intrinsic dexterity offered by tempestry. But if you had a couple of engram crystals, you could program each of them with Force and control it in a manual way. An image comes to mind of soldiers using Force staves to fling their enemies through the sky. Their staves would have a cable with a weight and stake on one end, which sticks into the soil and absorbs the natural wavelengths echoing through the world.

((I want all of the characters who are heading for labs to leave at the same time, for the sake of not repeating the descriptions. So I'll make a list. Anyone else: Let me know if your character plans to go seek out professors or visit the campus to find other students.

Wunderkatze
TheBiggerFish
dgr11897))

"I spoke out load didn't I..."

It appears you did...

The spirit winds itself up into a snakelike form, and sits a meter away from you, on the tile floor. Your eyes see a faint crackling mist.

The professors see my plight as a foolish endeavor. I sought help from a newcomer, hoping that minds from far away would have at least the will to help me. The Lord of the Artifex in the city spire paid me no heed, but if a student like you would plead for help, from any Artifex even, intermediate skill or not, I would be grateful.

The crackling air merges into one small pinpoint of light on the floor, rising up as it takes on form. Finally, a star of six points, colored gold, hangs still in the air. It's about the size of your thumb, and would make a nice piece of jewelry.

Years ago, I was called Hermes. Forms were no obstacle to me. I masqueraded as a man and an alchemist for many years. Now, after losing much of me, I struggle to build even this...

The spirit hands the trinket over to you.

I've incorporated a small ring of wire and a piece of sonic quartz. If you crush this trinket beneath your foot, it will pulse at a very specific frequency. I should hear it from across the city.

Octavia considers the situation and gives a response. She would be helpful, yet brief in her interaction.

"You are at the academy in the capital city of Inberlin. Whether your displacement was deliberate or accidental I cannot say. I presume you were either placed here intentionally for the purpose of being a part of the entrance test, or coincidentally so that the marble block or crystal could be placed here."

"If you seek to return from where you came from, then I recommend you proceed to the back of the hallway over there and speak to the professors; they will be able to tell you more than I could."

The professors, they did this?

The spirit suddenly vanishes. No response. Nonetheless, the marble block seems empty now.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2018, 04:47:46 pm »

Hmm, Ideas...
Excuse me, does anyone have a ocular device or low quality engram they would be willing to part with?
Leaving for the labs
She attempts to load the spell telekinesis into the crystal, if she hasn't taken it out of the block yet yet, she cuts it out of the block. If it doesn't work, she makes it into an engram crystal.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 05:42:40 pm by dgr11897 »
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2018, 05:23:35 pm »

Let's try carving out a small section of the repulsors, near the start, and see if they're point-to-point or direction-based.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 05:40:45 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2018, 05:39:30 pm »

Octavia mutters something to the extent of "Well I wouldn't be able to definitively say that but..."

Though the spirit was probably already gone. The professors surely wouldn't have any difficulty with an angry level 2 spirit... But perhaps it would be wise for her to follow up on this just in case. She did have a couple of questions to ask anyway.
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2018, 05:40:49 pm »

The wall complicates things. Maybe it's elasticity could be useful? Or it could have a limit to how high it goes up. I could check just by throwing something at it, but what?

He looked down at the rope in his hands, and an idea sprung into his mind.

Artifice the rope into a sling, then artifice another length of vine into a ball. Then head back to the barrier and throw that ball as high as I can into the barrier, backing away from the barrier as I watch it fly.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2018, 07:11:03 pm »

Is a device that converts Noise to energy feasible?  Since, after all, there's going to be a lot of it.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 07:14:16 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9