Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Antinomy of the Five Spectra (IC) -- The Academy Exam  (Read 16144 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Antinomy of the Five Spectra (IC) -- The Academy Exam
« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2018, 09:05:03 am »

Right, time to craft.

Using my knowledge of Energy Transfer, I etch the runes to allow this to activate when the Sagitta Spell crosses over it. It will then absorb all the energy in the area around it, including the field blocking the finish line. It won't be much of a hole, but it should be big enough to let the Crystal to sail on through before the energy reforms the shield.

My Tempestry will also be used to turn the remaining stone to a matrix to give the energy a place to go before it inevitably blows up. Set everything up, and I have my Barrier remover.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 21, 2018, 07:16:23 pm »

Yeah, hey, do you mind lending me a hand and seeing if you can dispel this curse? I can't really do much if all my fingers are mushrooms.
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 21, 2018, 08:59:45 pm »

((French is probably not the best language for engineers, but I don't know any of the various disambiguous languages that would be cool, English is taken, and I have actually taken French enough to maybe not sound like an absolute fool for a few sentences.))
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2018, 08:32:16 pm »

"Of sorts. My family, the Osbornes, are high-ranking board members in the Masallei Heavy Cargo company, as well as former mercenaries. Not the most prestigious, but famous in the general area. I suppose you've been to the region then, since you recognize our crest? I can't imagine our reputation goes further north than Mantle."

Vallernius walked closer to the staff, noting how it indeed resembles the Osborne family crest, shaped after the three-headed hydras native to the city's outskirts. He wondered what a staff like this was doing so far north of Masallei. The Osbornes were certainly well-known in the city proper, and it's influence generally covers the region south fo Mantle, but they generally don't go this far north, at least on the Orient.

"Is the staff already programmed, by the way?"
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 27, 2018, 01:49:52 am »

Myrtrice approaches the students, "I can help you if you would help me."

Figure out what their issue is.

One of the students turns her head. A buttercup sticks out of her eye, and wiggles a little, causing her to recoil with her palms over her face.
The clover-headed student decides to speak up for them.

"We got in trouble at the ocular-tree. Our project required oculars, but when we picked enough to fill a basket and left, we all started getting cursed like this."

Their curses are as follows (each line is a different student):
-Clovers instead of hair
-A buttercup growing out of one's eye
-Sprouts for hands
-A wooden stump instead of a foot

Yeah, hey, do you mind lending me a hand and seeing if you can dispel this curse? I can't really do much if all my fingers are mushrooms.

He looks at your hand and props up his glasses.
"Hm, that's quite a curse you got yourself mixed up with. What'd you do?" he pries.

"Truth is, I'm not quite the type you're looking for. Getting your hand back ain't no trivial matter, if you want it like how it used to be.
I'd say the best person to consult on this situation is... your mother?"

"Of sorts. My family, the Osbornes, are high-ranking board members in the Masallei Heavy Cargo company, as well as former mercenaries. Not the most prestigious, but famous in the general area. I suppose you've been to the region then, since you recognize our crest? I can't imagine our reputation goes further north than Mantle."

Vallernius walked closer to the staff, noting how it indeed resembles the Osborne family crest, shaped after the three-headed hydras native to the city's outskirts. He wondered what a staff like this was doing so far north of Masallei. The Osbornes were certainly well-known in the city proper, and it's influence generally covers the region south fo Mantle, but they generally don't go this far north, at least on the Orient.

"Is the staff already programmed, by the way?"

"You haven't heard? The war in the north's picking up. A month ago, a band of privateers sacked Altaic. Came to Inberlin to sell mementos."

To your question she replies,
"Hmm? Right, a newcomer you are. I can start you off with something simple. Here,"
She passes the rod to you. It floats through the air. The crystal flashes a couple of times.

"Should be good for that test of yours, hehe."

Octavia takes a moment to consider what she brought with her. No mention was made of money or anything in this game?

The white-robed student brushes past you as you check your pockets and try to count your coins.

"That won't be necessary," says the shopkeeper. She beckons you over.

"Inberlin works differently. Not everyday you wake up not having to go out and find food for yourself. I can't imagine what it must be like living in a place where you have to pay for food!"

Right, time to craft.

Using my knowledge of Energy Transfer, I etch the runes to allow this to activate when the Sagitta Spell crosses over it. It will then absorb all the energy in the area around it, including the field blocking the finish line. It won't be much of a hole, but it should be big enough to let the Crystal to sail on through before the energy reforms the shield.

My Tempestry will also be used to turn the remaining stone to a matrix to give the energy a place to go before it inevitably blows up. Set everything up, and I have my Barrier remover.

Absorbing all energy... you recall that there is a certain class of spells which last longer than usual, and more importantly, they can 'waste' all of the energy in the surrounding mist. They seem to be called 'Ignitions' in these parts.

What it actually seems like, judging from the presence of the marble piece changing the behavior completely, is that this part of the track is mostly devoid of energy altogether. So it wouldn't really make any sense to cast an ignition here, even if you know how. The energy is being supplied to the forcefield separately from the air, or else the energized mist would mix in with the empty mist.
It seems that the force field has some sort of power conduit powering it.

((French is probably not the best language for engineers, but I don't know any of the various disambiguous languages that would be cool, English is taken, and I have actually taken French enough to maybe not sound like an absolute fool for a few sentences.))

A worthy concern... fortunately she seems to be all talk regarding the subject of ignition.

"Okay, what would get you all who aren't, on board with this plan?  And if there's nothing that will, how can we stay out of your way?  I fully intend to get everybody who'll let me, through this thing."

There's also "go under the track", for that matter...

I'd like to (have somebody) excavate a small portion underneath one of the lines, probably from the edge of the track, and see if the field expands downwards.  Oh!  Or just "go around the track and come back in on the straightaway"
...for that matter, just coming onto the track at the straightaway should work, since there's still no rules about having to travel on the track!

You are quite skilled in the manipulation of shapes and spaces. One small exploratory drilling later, you thrust a small stick into the hole you've excavated and find that the field itself surely does not extend below. That means that the thin part inside the surface layer of the tile floor seems to be all there is regarding the force field.

"Thank you. This is going to me amazing."

Without further ado, Marcus moves back to the track to build his construct:

First, he cuts it into a disc-like craft as previously described.

Second, he ignites four Wind Columns: one large one on the bottom for levitation, three small horizontal ones on the edge, angled to spin-stabilize the construct's flight.

Third, he asks his choir to enter the construct and begins to compose and train commands for the spirits to move the construct along the six degrees of freedom by pulling and pushing (in that order of priority) on the ground and the rudders.

Fourth, if no problems have arisen thus far, he attempts a test run of the track.

You return to the flowering hall and get busy.

[d10: 10! & 4] the disks comes out well-proportioned yet fairly lightweight. The crystal sits in the center, embedded within a torus of material about a meter across. You manage to do it in no time somehow, at the cost of reducing a fair amount of the marble to dust. It's not central to the plan anyway.

[d10: 3x7 (???) and an 8] You set up the wind colums such that one is repelling the floor, and three are gently pushing gusts of air. The craft starts to spin. You spend about 5 minutes on each one to get the whole thing to spin stably.

[d12: 12!] And with that, your orchestra is ready to begin the process of harmonizing their movements. You can play a rising tone, and they move up. You increase the tempo, and they spin faster and faster. Overall, it seems you both speak much the same language. You should be able to move it around as if it were an extension of your music!
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 27, 2018, 04:31:16 am »

Time for a test run, then. Guide the construct through the track once.

If no problems arise, ignite the Symphony of Noise and perform another test.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 27, 2018, 09:46:50 pm »

Octavia responds to the shopkeeper, with a moderately surprised tone of voice. "In that case, could you please explain how things work around here? Surely it isn't proper to take things for nothing..."
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 27, 2018, 11:19:25 pm »

Okay, so I want to very carefully pierce a hole in the track itself, now, standing as far away as I reasonably can, with as much of a blast shield as I can raise up between me and the track.  Just in case something explodes.  And make sure everybody's a good distance away.
Also I'll ask the proctor first.

...for that matter, I'd like to just set everything up at the straightaway, really.

"We are not restricted to start our contraptions from this thing that looks like a start line?  I am correct?"

Let me reiterate: I want to set up the daisy chain such that it is set up with the least amount of required distance to travel.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 11:24:34 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 01, 2018, 10:17:54 pm »

Is it possible to convert their limbs back to normal? If so try to do so starting with the clover hair. Then the wooden stump then the hands then the eye.

"Someone could cut you guys up and make a stew, a nice buttercup clover stew."
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 02, 2018, 09:36:32 pm »

"War on the lost continent? First I've heard of a recent one. Are they sacking cargo ships as well, or just sticking to land?"

Seems it already it pre-programmed with levitation. That should make moving the block much faster.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 07, 2018, 01:20:15 am »

((Missing TricMagic. I did answer your question in the OOC thread.
Ideally we update more often but the past week has not been motivating.))

"War on the lost continent? First I've heard of a recent one. Are they sacking cargo ships as well, or just sticking to land?"

Seems it already it pre-programmed with levitation. That should make moving the block much faster.

"Aye, bit of an exaggeration I must admit. Yet it seems that I won't be far from the truth if the warhawks get their way. Cargo ships would be the prime target, I presume. Not for cargo, of course. People. Navigators, artifex, you name 'em. If they can be convinced to join a life of piracy, that's as good as it gets. If not, just hand 'em over to your sponsor and enjoy all sorts of privilege."

The crystal won't flash anymore now that it's in your hands. But it will levitate the expensive upholstery from around that coffee table over there... and it'll set them down just fine.

It suffices to pick up the block quite well. What then, will you do next with the block?

Is it possible to convert their limbs back to normal? If so try to do so starting with the clover hair. Then the wooden stump then the hands then the eye.

"Someone could cut you guys up and make a stew, a nice buttercup clover stew."

Crafting limbs is precisely what you were born to do. First the green salad. If you mess up, all you do is make a girl bald. She can go buy a new scalp or something.

[d12: 7] You take notice of the fact that her follicles are now replaced with root systems. Each and every one. That means that a lot of clover stems are present, packed in pretty tightly and stunted. It already sort of resembles hair... in an architectural way. By replacing each root system with a follicle again, you have to merely decide what color hair.

The wooden stump is a bit more complicated. Fortunately there are two legs per person, so you can copy one design to the other. [d12: 1!] She now has two right legs.

(I rolled two main dice to start catching up in time with other players.)

Octavia responds to the shopkeeper, with a moderately surprised tone of voice. "In that case, could you please explain how things work around here? Surely it isn't proper to take things for nothing..."

"But it's all well and proper!" she says, meeting your disbelief with an inviting smile. A line of bobbleheaded spirits hop up on top of the counter, each holding a gem in its short, stubby arms.
"The spirits know your deeds. From that we know if you're putting our resources to good use!"

The crystals offered are blank slates. They can be programmed however. The avalanche-type is more difficult to program, but is less prone to being overwritten by sudden transmission bursts. The junction-type can easily lose its programming, but takes spells easily and works well with a focusing array to prevent unwanted signals from interfering. The bipolar crystal is immune to being mis-programmed by other spells and is easy to program, but it is fragile and potentially unreliable.

There is also a fourth type of crystal hanging on the wall. A barrier-type. It's quite difficult to program, but it's easily triggered and can accept a wide band of frequencies. "That one's not for you, they're difficult to come across."

Okay, so I want to very carefully pierce a hole in the track itself, now, standing as far away as I reasonably can, with as much of a blast shield as I can raise up between me and the track.  Just in case something explodes.  And make sure everybody's a good distance away.
Also I'll ask the proctor first.

...for that matter, I'd like to just set everything up at the straightaway, really.

"We are not restricted to start our contraptions from this thing that looks like a start line?  I am correct?"

Let me reiterate: I want to set up the daisy chain such that it is set up with the least amount of required distance to travel.

You perform alchemy raise a barrier of stone from the ground in order to protect yourself. This building was constructed upon solid bedrock, it seems, as the zigzag patterns of schist present to your face.

One of the nearby students backs off. "You're going to...?" She raises her own barrier, a standing web of silken strands. It will block any large shrapnel ideally.

All that's left is to slice into the track from a distance. [d12: 8] With laser precision, you point and drag a section of the track away. It crosses the red line, and as it does so, you hear crackling. Looking at the aftermath, it seems that the red lines on the section of track you carved out no longer glow. The force field contained most of the dust and sparks still hanging in the air from the excavation, and the places where the red glowing track was cut now bleed off sparks constantly.

The ice-witch glides over to inspect the damage.
"Impressive. I can't quite fathom stooping so low as to eliminate all obstacles. But you can go ahead and damage the track for me--more challenge will surely look good on the grading sheet."

Time for a test run, then. Guide the construct through the track once.

If no problems arise, ignite the Symphony of Noise and perform another test.

With your track a ways away from the crazy stuff going on at Elena's corner, you make the preparations in relative peace. Your noise will soon overshadow theirs.

[8d6+3: 8, 8, 8, 9, 9, 7, 5, 6] The choir of spirits hangs on to the spinning craft and, with your tunes in action, follow your whims as per the pattern you set in stone during recital. Their simplicity makes it easy for you to twist and turn the craft across the winding track. The disk zips onto the final stretch, accelerates, and then... you notice one of the spirits faltering, and this brings the craft off-balance. Something close to the end caused the vessel to flip over, though fortunately the spirits caught it before it hit the ground and shattered. This prompts some investigation--though you wonder if the adventurous fellows over at the center of the track have anything to say about it. (referring to TBH and TricMagic)
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 07, 2018, 02:49:08 am »

Mental note: teach the spirits to roll the construct along the ground as well, perhaps with enough momentum to cross the finish line without magic.

Curious, Marcus walks towards Elena and Stella, accordion still in its harness.

"Hey there, how are your projects going? I've got something that works until the final stretch, but then loses power. Know anything about that?"
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 07, 2018, 04:52:08 am »

"Thank you person who created webbing!"

To ice lady:

"Bah!  This is not for grade!  This is did we complete the challenge!  And I fully intend to complete the challenge in the most expedient way!"

Time to talk to Marcus!

"Interesting!  Et, non.
I do not utilise such methods as I observed of yours frequently.

Is possible that spirits simply lost focus.  Can be easy to distract.

Add wheels?  Add, stabilizer?  Aerodynamic!"

Investigate the sparks!  Could I perhaps tap into the power conduit now that it's exposed and build a motor?  I hope I have some electrical supplies, not having any on me at all would just be silly.

Also investigate the bump!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 05:23:11 am by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 07, 2018, 04:54:22 pm »

The plants looked pretty good, give her green colored hair. Also amputate and try again on the foot and then do the hand.

"Well, it is right, just not correct." Myrtrice jokes flatly.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 05:45:57 pm by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 07, 2018, 05:49:01 pm »

Octavia speaks and points to a crystal. "So in other words, I have no privacy while I'm here... If I have to protect a fragile crystal already as part of the exam, then the bipolar crystal sounds like it would be most ideal for my current situation."

Barring any other issues that would require player intervention, Octavia would thank the shopkeeper and resume putting her previously described plan into action.
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9