Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Start a beast man civ  (Read 1003 times)

lance2535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Start a beast man civ
« on: September 01, 2018, 01:02:19 pm »

I think it would be fun to sit down and play a beastman civ. Where you would be the first of your kind creating an urban city like the greeks. I thought it would be cool if I could run a tribe of eaglemen from a meagre 7 to 15 and slowly build their population to over 100. It would be a dream to create an Eagleman empire? Nothing more 'Merica than that Id say.
How would I make this happen with the raws and such?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Start a beast man civ
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 04:58:20 pm »

The easiest way is to replace DWARF with EAGLE_MAN in entity_default.txt. You could go more complicated from there.

Note that this is basically how I start all my own playable races anyway, so this isn't some sort of lie-to-children advice.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 10:36:59 am »

The easiest way is to replace DWARF with EAGLE_MAN in entity_default.txt. You could go more complicated from there.

Note that this is basically how I start all my own playable races anyway, so this isn't some sort of lie-to-children advice.
Remember to remove their sites and biomes and stuff so you are the first of your kind.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

lance2535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 01:10:13 pm »

Alright, your first response was very helpful but didn't capture my scope, thanks for clearing it up tho!

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 01:36:28 pm »

Well, to learn to mod with more scope, you can look at the modding guide on the wiki.  Wiki is an amazing resource for modding, but it serves best as a reference material.  Most of us here probably got started by reverse engineering one of our favorite mods, or by starting with small things for which you could copy a template from vanilla.

Once have enough experience to ask more precise questions, you will be able to get a lot of help here.  But "How would I make this happen" is pretty hard to parse what you actually need..

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 09:57:59 pm »

Uh, I'm not trying to hype my mod or anything, but it might have everything you want/need:
Of MultiBeasts and Renassance: Playable Beastfolk with Late Medieval Equipment

Well, you'd have to put up with more advanced weapons and armor than standard Dwarf Fortress, although there is some cheat sheets from Grimlock's mod, the source of the late medieval armor and weapons.

For the exact game that you describe, you should run a pocket world till everyone dies, then revive a beastfolk civ.  Upping the megabeast count should do it, and give your monociv something to fear.
EDIT: Actually, you can just play any map with an extinct race if you want the feel of the Greeks building a civilization among the "barbarians", even though the tech level is actually the same.  You'll start with 7 settlers, then get your free migration waves, and then all the procedurally generated bandits will come out of the woods and join your civ.

Just thought I should warn you that eaglefolk and other species of birdfolk have an annoying tendency to get stuck in the trees and put stuff in the trees, causing massive job cancellation spam.  I'd suggest settling in a spot with few trees.

Slax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 12:13:14 am »

Fortress mode with nothing but mixed beast people would be pretty great. Frustrating but fun.
Not what this thread is about but still, just saying.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 12:47:45 am by Slax »