Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Better vampires  (Read 5522 times)

UristMcVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING][BLOODSUCKER]
    • View Profile
Better vampires
« on: September 07, 2018, 04:06:11 pm »

Here are the PROBLEMS with DF's vampires (non-moddable stuff only):

1. Drinking blood from splatters/a pool/a cup/etc. and bite attacks that drain blood don't fill vampire thirst! This is COMPLETELY ridiculous and needs to be changed. The vampire feeding should consider the vampire as actually drinking the blood of (insert creature being fed on), and drinking blood from any source should fill vampire thirst.

2. Vampire bloodsucking doesn't create any sort of wound on the (insert creature being fed on)'s neck. It should, because vampires BITE TO DRINK BLOOD.

THESE NEED TO BE FIXED!!
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Naga/Lamia race

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: Better vampires
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 04:25:55 pm »

While these are good and sound suggestions, you don't need to stress it quite that much. There's plenty of work to be done with Dwarf Fortress, and plenty of suggestions from this forum to be processed. There's nothing wrong with leaving a suggestion for things you think should be added, but making it extra IMPORTANT and in ALL CAPS just makes the suggestion harder to take as something serious.

UristMcVampire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 04:28:18 pm »

While these are good and sound suggestions, you don't need to stress it quite that much. There's plenty of work to be done with Dwarf Fortress, and plenty of suggestions from this forum to be processed. There's nothing wrong with leaving a suggestion for things you think should be added, but making it extra IMPORTANT and in ALL CAPS just makes the suggestion harder to take as something serious.

It's funny tho
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Naga/Lamia race

Miles_Umbrae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 04:38:32 pm »

1. Drinking blood from splatters/a pool/a cup/etc. and bite attacks that drain blood don't fill vampire thirst! This is COMPLETELY ridiculous and needs to be changed. The vampire feeding should consider the vampire as actually drinking the blood of (insert creature being fed on), and drinking blood from any source should fill vampire thirst.

2. Vampire bloodsucking doesn't create any sort of wound on the (insert creature being fed on)'s neck. It should, because vampires BITE TO DRINK BLOOD.

THESE NEED TO BE FIXED!!
Don't forget the most important thing of them all .. vampires MUST ALWAYS sparkle when exposed to sunlight!!!

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 05:13:59 pm »

Drinking blood splatters and such might not work if blood has to be fresh from the victim to satisfy a vampire's thirst.  Spilled blood could quickly lose whatever magical property it has that lets it sustain vampires.  But it is rather silly that SUCK_BLOOD attacks don't contribute.

Wounds from vampire bites would make sense, but might be tricky to implement.  Some victims might not even have necks to bite.

Don't forget the most important thing of them all .. vampires MUST ALWAYS sparkle when exposed to sunlight!!!

The Hammerer would like a few words with you about the difference between vampires and blood-sucking glitter elves.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Tinnucorch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 05:25:25 pm »

There are also several issues regarding their identities. Mostly announcements and places where their identities are uncovered. Once I even saw an announcement that was somenthing like "Visitorname, a vampire bard, is visiting".

And they are sometimes too easy to identify (I mean, even when their real identity is not exposed) because of the creepy things they carry made from sapients bones and nails.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 05:37:22 pm »

You know what would be cool? If they were unable to enter areas designated temples
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Tinnucorch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 05:57:22 pm »

You know what would be cool? If they were unable to enter areas designated temples

It should be possible once magical landforms and and sphere-aligned places are introduced, but it should make sense sphere-wise. I mean, most deities won't probably have anything against vampires.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2018, 11:29:01 am »

Also, that's far too easily gamed. Just designate every square but the edge as a temple that forbids anybody from worshiping there. Setting up a temple should require more (investing resources? spending time?) before zones have a mechanical effect on enemies. (It would be rather clever to route all traffic through the center of a sacred temple of a god that hates vampires, so it's fine to reward that cleverness. Costs: this restricts fortress design, is bad for quick movement around the fortress.)
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

UristMcVampire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2018, 12:47:18 pm »

THESE NEED TO BE FIXED!!

NO! Sparkly vampires are actually these http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Leechfinger but less awesome.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 12:49:23 pm by UristMcVampire »

Naga/Lamia race

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 01:44:50 pm »

Bites doesn't necessarily have to be on the neck. In fact if I were a vampire the neck would be one of the places I would avoid. It would be far better in the arms or wrist if the victim uses long sleeves, the thighs or torso if it wear pants or shirts...

I also made some of this observations some years ago about vampires degrading somehow when not drinking blood for long periods of time and such. All of this would come to pass in time.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

UristMcVampire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 08:05:56 pm »

Bites doesn't necessarily have to be on the neck. In fact if I were a vampire the neck would be one of the places I would avoid. It would be far better in the arms or wrist if the victim uses long sleeves, the thighs or torso if it wear pants or shirts...

I also made some of this observations some years ago about vampires degrading somehow when not drinking blood for long periods of time and such. All of this would come to pass in time.

Actually here's a better idea: Vampires have to bite and latch onto a body part to drain blood, BUT this REPLACES the need for the victim to be unconscious. Oh also attacking someone while they're unconscious shouldn't provoke them into attacking you when they wake up.

Naga/Lamia race

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2018, 11:09:56 am »

Code: [Select]

Actually here's a better idea: Vampires have to bite and latch onto a body part to drain blood, BUT this REPLACES the need for the victim to be unconscious. Oh also attacking someone while they're unconscious shouldn't provoke them into attacking you when they wake up.

But knowing how insanely strong Dwarves can get, wouldn't they just be able to rip off the Vampire if not unconscious? Or are you suggesting some sort of Stun lock where bitten dwarves are unable to fight back? IN which case, why not just keep with the Unconciousness? And wouldn't a Dwarf naturally be hostile to someone who bit them? I know I would be. Granted, we could go all "Magical Hypnotizing Eyes SPppoooooOOOooookkyyyYYyyy" , but that sounds sorta unnecessary. Who's to say the Dorf just, like, doesn't look in the Vampires Eyes?
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

DudeeDew

• Bay Watcher
  • Creature — Human Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2018, 08:21:04 am »

It would be much better if they couldn't enter the temples devoted exclusively to the god that cursed the original vampire of this one's curse lineage.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2018, 05:37:28 pm »

What if they had difficulty entering temples depending on the  nature ov the temple?

So they would be nauseated and weakened by entering a temple of a certain degree of sacredness, unable to enter a more sacred temple, and unaffected by a rubbish temple.

The holiness of a temple could be determined by factors such as:

Value of temple + contents
Size of temple (smaller  = concentrated sanctity, or reverse?)
Number of worshippers frequenting temple
Frequency of prayer
Number of priests
Number of dancers
Reputation of temple
Nature of deity
Etc.

In theory, this would be less exploitable, and still get in the whole "can't enter holy places" aspect of vampirism.
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: [1] 2 3