Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Better vampires  (Read 5521 times)

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
Re: Better vampires
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2018, 04:34:11 am »

You can switch off the ability to view all legends entities in worldgen. You will then have to discover every character, event and item before it shows up.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2018, 06:08:18 am »

Vampires should not appear in legends until they are killed. I want my murders scenarios and I still want to use Legend Viewer :(
Then don't look in legends. A lot of people really want complete legends.
Please mind the second part of my sentence
Statistics show that 95% of people consider reading a post a good idea before posting a response.

You can switch off the ability to view all legends entities in worldgen. You will then have to discover every character, event and item before it shows up.

Which comes with its own set of problems, like my character not knowing what happens in their hometown ten years ago when they were twenty.

This is a thread about making better vampires, so here's my suggestion : hide them better. To me it's just a no-brainer. Vampire gameplay is based on the idea they are hard to find. Their survival strategy relies on remaining hidden in the crowd. I want to see my legends, because legends is part of the gameplay, and I want to vampire hunt, because it's part of the gameplay aswell.

There should be a way to conciliate the two, like adding a switch "don't tell me about content whose value rely on me not being aware of it"
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 06:42:06 am by Cathar »

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2018, 06:49:25 am »

Maybe some sort of "Hide villains" switch, to tie in with the whole villain arc. Thereby hiding the private identity of villains such as vampires (maybe when they assume a name, it simply hides all records after that with "in the year xxxx, Vampire McVampireson assumed a secret identity to avoid detection" until they die, at which point their history becomes unhidden (letting you confirm your hunches)
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2018, 10:39:39 pm »

Then make it a switch, as Dorsi said. Not everyone plays the same way you do.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2018, 11:28:42 pm »

Villain identities should probably have more to do with how publicly the villain's identity is known.  Unless there's an in-game reason why you should suddenly know who they are once they are dead.

There should probably be an in-game legends mode where you are able to view all of the information that your character knows. This would include common knowledge and details about what happened in their hometown, and be filled in with more information (including misinformation) as they talk to other characters.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2018, 05:45:21 am »

Then make it a switch, as Dorsi said. Not everyone plays the same way you do.

Villain identities should probably have more to do with how publicly the villain's identity is known.  Unless there's an in-game reason why you should suddenly know who they are once they are dead.

There should probably be an in-game legends mode where you are able to view all of the information that your character knows. This would include common knowledge and details about what happened in their hometown, and be filled in with more information (including misinformation) as they talk to other characters.

Well, right now what we have is a choice between "we know nothing at the start and knowledge accumulated is shared among all player characters" and "we know litterally everything". My idea was primarily to enhance vampires/spies/villains by not telling players about their secret identity, but anything enhancing immersion is a plus in my books

betaking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2019, 06:36:10 pm »

with regards to the "temples should have downsides so you can't just plop down a temple that all your dwarfs have to pass through" what about "ritual cleaning".

like one of the first vending machines was designed to dispense a ball of soap and some water to ritually clean yourself with (Hero of Alexandria)
Pages: 1 2 [3]