Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Better vampires  (Read 5482 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Better vampires
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2018, 05:57:22 pm »

What if they had difficulty entering temples depending on the  nature ov the temple?

So they would be nauseated and weakened by entering a temple of a certain degree of sacredness, unable to enter a more sacred temple, and unaffected by a rubbish temple.

The holiness of a temple could be determined by factors such as:

Value of temple + contents
Size of temple (smaller  = concentrated sanctity, or reverse?)
Number of worshippers frequenting temple
Frequency of prayer
Number of priests
Number of dancers
Reputation of temple
Nature of deity
Etc.

In theory, this would be less exploitable, and still get in the whole "can't enter holy places" aspect of vampirism.

This temple is holier than the others because everything inside is made of obsidian. People think vampires are allergic to it, but they're actually allergic to displays of conspicuous wealth.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2018, 06:26:21 pm »

All of those expect size do just about nothing to bar the map edge temple zones, barring extreme restrictions a player fort isn't likely to archive normally i.e. 100 worshippers of the god that cursed the vampire.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2018, 02:32:26 am »

A bigger problem is that ALL gods create vampires, not just gods of Death & its related spheres. Gods should be able to apply a wide range of sphere-appropriate curses.

And even bigger than THAT is the fact that vampirism & lycanthropy are allegedly inflicted as punishments, when in actuality they're major buffs. (Well, the lycanthropy is a punishment when you calm back down & realize that you've killed your family, but physically it's still a buff.)

Until those undergo a major rewrite, nitpicking temple zones seems kinda pointless . . . but watch as I go ahead & do it anyway. One item that NJW2000 overlooked was if there's a priest assigned to said temple. Such a priest could get a divine sensation that an abomination was trespassing on holy ground, and then come out be all "This is MY church!!", which would most likely help identify the vampire. True, this could still be "gamed" (there are almost always useless dwarves around that can be appointed priests), but at least we would HAVE priests. The system could be made more effective in single-god temples, so that too could be a delaying factor--I get the impression that even many mature forts have only one Unitarian church.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2018, 11:19:30 am »

Clarification: Fleeting Frames seems to be talking about temples as abstract locations that can contain multiple activity zones. This means that map-edge temple zones can "leech" holiness from an actual temple inside the fortress.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2018, 03:31:15 am »

The player can just funnel all visitors through a single temple use walls. If the vampires can get through walls somehow, then the player can figure out a way to use that against them.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

UristMcVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING][BLOODSUCKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2018, 09:59:36 am »

The player can just funnel all visitors through a single temple use walls. If the vampires can get through walls somehow, then the player can figure out a way to use that against them.
But that's no !!FUN!!
Vampires are !!FUN!! why would you keep them out? Also, VAMPIRE FORTS.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Naga/Lamia race

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2018, 11:41:58 am »

But that's no !!FUN!!

Vampire forts will get !!FUNNIER!! once, if you choose go all Sylvania, the rest of your civ shuns you, try to hunt you down and siege your fort. Also vampire hunters.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

UristMcVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING][BLOODSUCKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2018, 12:09:26 am »

But that's no !!FUN!!

Vampire forts will get !!FUNNIER!! once, if you choose go all Sylvania, the rest of your civ shuns you, try to hunt you down and siege your fort. Also vampire hunters.

Exactly my point. It will be very !!FUN!!, and !!FUN!! is good.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Naga/Lamia race

KingEdwarf3890

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2018, 07:01:55 pm »

Yeah, I'd at least say that vampires should have some trouble with temples. The size restriction is a must though, and I'd think it'd make more sense for wealthier and less "generalized" temples to have stronger effects. Maybe the trade off is that only the deity who cursed the original vampire has any problem with that bloodline though? That way "generalized" temples will catch more vampires at the cost of the effects being less severe/noticeable. Maybe they could even try to hide or explain away their discomfort if it's not holy enough to have them rolling around on the floor screaming?

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2018, 07:44:21 am »

Yeah, I'd at least say that vampires should have some trouble with temples.

Should we limit this to temples of the deity who cursed him, or to those of the same sphere? If we go with the latter, vampires could get buffs while being in the temple of a deity with an opposed sphere.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

KingEdwarf3890

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2018, 12:48:28 pm »

IDC TBH, though getting buffs seems to be kind of stretching things since vampires in mythology are just generally averse to holy things.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2018, 01:21:20 pm »

Vampires should not appear in legends until they are killed. I want my murders scenarios and I still want to use Legend Viewer :(

Else, vampires are supposed to kill people. There are already a lot of ways to check them, and they require (or should require) active investigation. Or if you want to make traditional vampires that are super obvious, at least add some real murderers so we don't lose valuable gameplay.

OR ELSE
>:(or else I would be very sad

Edit : As for gaming the no-vampire-in-holy-place, just make your entrance a super temple. Done.  GG Your town is vampire free forever. You have in effect removed an entire ark of gameplay for no benefit
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 01:35:39 pm by Cathar »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2018, 01:56:04 pm »

I would say depending. I could see vampires doing fine in temples for the "dark gods" or even erecting temples for themselves as poser gods or someting along those lines.

Of course this would be in a classic sense. DF vampires could be really different specially once they become more rawified and modable.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2018, 03:51:01 am »

I would say depending. I could see vampires doing fine in temples for the "dark gods" or even erecting temples for themselves as poser gods or someting along those lines.

Of course this would be in a classic sense. DF vampires could be really different specially once they become more rawified and modable.

You could relate it to the "shuns" tags.  If vampirism can change tags (and it clearly can) why not have it change the ethics and art tags, and simply have things that algin with shunned tags repel the vampire?  That way an engraving of flowers and trees would keep away a vampire of earth and rock, and even a talisman or cup bearing an image of trees could keep that specific vampire away.  Another vampire, cursed by a god of trees, would ignore all such things.  It also opens up symbols that ward them off and whatnot.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2018, 04:00:15 am »

Vampires should not appear in legends until they are killed. I want my murders scenarios and I still want to use Legend Viewer :(
Then don't look in legends. A lot of people really want complete legends.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.
Pages: 1 [2] 3