Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: GoblinCookie's Expanded Dictionary 0.5  (Read 24304 times)

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
GoblinCookie's Expanded Dictionary 0.5
« on: September 08, 2018, 01:59:16 pm »

Taking over an abandoned attempt from Amostubel in creating an expanded dictionary for Dwarf Fortress, I finished the dictionary for use in my mod Forgotten Realms Direforged. This took me almost a year to complete and having finished the new version of the mod, I released a vanilla version of the dictionary as I had always planned to do once the work on the mod release was complete.

This is the version. It consists of a stripped down and simplified version of the mod's dictionary, intended for use by other modders to make their own mods without having to do all the work and for anyone who wants to use the dictionary stand-alone.

Credits to Amostubel for the original dictionary.

Link
0.5 Changes
Removed a number of redundant words.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 10:17:36 am by GoblinCookie »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: GoblinCookie's Expanded Dictionary 0.1
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 05:46:42 pm »

Thank you so much! I was looking for Amostubel's copy, because I wanted to expand the dictionary and the download had seemingly been taken down. I think there might be performance issues for using too expanded a dictionary, but I never tested that. Even if there is, this is invaluable just so that a few words can be added here or there, without worrying about coming up with proper translations.

I'll be sure to make use of this, and credit yourself and Amostubel. Thanks again!

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 09:25:38 pm »

This is great work. Much thanks GC. Will give it a go in the next test world. And like Taffer, if I integrate it into P&F, will cite you and Amostubel as its makers.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 04:21:16 pm »

this needs more attention. especially from toady to implement it into the game.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 08:41:15 am »

I don't think Toady One integrates modder's work into the game. 

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 11:36:54 am »

I don't think Toady One integrates modder's work into the game.
but it would be worthwhile
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 09:11:27 am »

Toady One could do a better job, he could have the world automatically generate words for every object in the game and only need the words for general concepts to be defined in the raws. 

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 02:25:42 pm »

Toady One could do a better job, he could have the world automatically generate words for every object in the game and only need the words for general concepts to be defined in the raws.
you mean the way it is done for instruments? that part already created lots of confusing items for me who as a non-native speaker cannot always know if a word is a typical english itemname or a randomly generated one.
so extending on the ingame dictionary actually helps.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 07:17:45 am »

you mean the way it is done for instruments? that part already created lots of confusing items for me who as a non-native speaker cannot always know if a word is a typical english itemname or a randomly generated one.
so extending on the ingame dictionary actually helps.

No, because the instruments are created.  What I mean is that the game could create a word automatically for every object in the game, created *or* otherwise, so that only words for concepts have to be directly defined in the raw.  In this dictionary I have basically had to go through the files adding words for every object in manually, but Toady One could automate the whole thing.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2018, 09:36:45 am »

well, i can't find anything good at the concept of for exemple not having warhammers named "warhammers", but a randomly created name in each culture.
DF is confusing enough and there's no gain in creating new cryptic names for everything.
the real question here is: where would you draw the line? what counts as conceptual and what doesn't?

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 12:22:59 pm »

Uh, it would still be warhammer in english, just the in-game languages would have a random/procedural name. So instead of "alnis nil" in dwarven and "athama ˙eri" in elvish - which are both literally just "war hammer" - it'd be whatever the game assigned for the words "war" and "hammer". But, whatever it was called in the fictional in-game languages, the game UI would still call it "warhammer".
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 02:50:51 pm »

then i totally misunderstood the concept of the dictionary.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2018, 09:52:33 pm »

Its main use is for making names for the procedurally generated things like people, groups, places, artifacts,  etc.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2018, 06:48:19 am »

Its main use is for making names for the procedurally generated things like people, groups, places, artifacts,  etc.
i'll buy two!

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2018, 07:39:54 pm »

Just passing on some praise for your work. Thank you again, GoblinCookie!

Have to say I LOVE some of the downright hilarious names that the expanded dictionary is generating!

For instance, both a forgotten beast named "Mung Chargedgreen-tree-frog-kitten the Introvert Narwhal People" and a poem called "Masturbate Steady" (which apparently concerns a lover...seems highly fitting) exist in my latest world.

Keep up the good work, Taffer! :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4