Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sparring should count as a social interaction.  (Read 1304 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Sparring should count as a social interaction.
« on: September 09, 2018, 05:54:59 am »

I noticed that my squad of soldiers that have been training together for over a year are only passing acquaintances. I would assume they'd know each other a bit more than that.

Ideally, sparring and training together should count as a social interaction both in terms of needs, as well as forming relationships.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sparring should count as a social interaction.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 05:58:11 am »

Hopefully some of the new relationships, like war buddies, will carry over into fortress mode equivalents. As there's a fix for friendship and relationship forming due we might get to see this sooner rather than later.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 06:48:31 am »

Y'know the trope "The best way to know somebody is to fight them?" Depending on the martial inclinations of the two dwarves sparring, they should be able to become familiar with each other just as fast, or even faster, than normal everyday conversation.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 10:54:22 am »

Should depend on the talkability of the sparring dwarves, I reckon. Silent loner type dwarves shouldn’t allow for as much social interaction as overbearing ones. It could also work in the opposite direction, where too social dwarves spar less effiently than those not distracted by their conversations.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 04:34:07 pm »

Should depend on the talkability of the sparring dwarves, I reckon. Silent loner type dwarves shouldn’t allow for as much social interaction as overbearing ones. It could also work in the opposite direction, where too social dwarves spar less effiently than those not distracted by their conversations.
I think the idea is that you build relationships through training and fighting together in itself, not through chatting during the biting seminars. But yeah, those with a tendancy to annoy and argue with others might not achieve this so well.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 12:21:36 pm »

I was searching and found great suggestion.
+1 necro
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 05:47:58 pm »

+1 necro

The rules for this forum say that you shouldn’t necro a topic just to show support.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2022, 09:08:17 pm »

+1 necro

The rules for this forum say that you shouldn’t necro a topic just to show support.

Thanks, now that I you have opened my eyes, I see that!  My apology for the transgression.  Quoted from the rules:
If you find a thread similar to your idea, you can bump it to expand on the suggestion, even if the thread is old.  However, please do not bump threads just to show support.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.