Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: High Blood Pressure  (Read 2932 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
High Blood Pressure
« on: September 09, 2018, 12:16:01 pm »

Doc said I have somewhat elevated BP. I'm feeling it atm. Wondering if there's simple things I can do to lower it a bit.

Relevant: 26 year old white male, 6'3 200lbs (~190cm ~90 kilos) family history of high BP, low salt intake, high alcohol intake (also know I shouldn't drink but ya know)

Any advice would be appreciated.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
Re: High Blood Pressure
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 02:56:09 pm »

You've had quite a lot of stress in your life I know that, and a doc saying you have high blood pressure (along with just going to the doc) will cause your blood pressure to increase. Stress causes higher blood pressure.

As for lowering it, I don't really know, maybe consume less caffeine? Avoiding stressful situations will help prevent it going higher.

If you get prescribed any medication and take it followed by wooziness or lethargy or unusually exhausted then stop taking them because your blood pressure wasn't high enough to safely do so.

I don't know a huge amount about high blood pressure, my family tend towards low instead, just that as long as it is simply above average and not dangerously high there is little to actually worry about.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 03:08:13 pm »

Meditation to help manage the stress, for one. Whatever you can do to stay off blood pressure meds or the more aggressive treatments.

Also the link between sodium and hypertension may not be ironclad. I would consider trying to get the daily recommended dose of salt and see if that actually makes your symptoms worse or not. Low sodium can be plenty damaging on its own, versus high sodium (versus the right amount.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 04:55:16 pm »

Hm. Then again, 'low' salt intake in America could mean many things. I would suggest mapping the sodium content of what you typically eat in a week. Would let you know if you're high or low.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 07:15:03 pm »

Doc said I have somewhat elevated BP. I'm feeling it atm. Wondering if there's simple things I can do to lower it a bit.

Relevant: 26 year old white male, 6'3 200lbs (~190cm ~90 kilos) family history of high BP, low salt intake, high alcohol intake (also know I shouldn't drink but ya know)

Any advice would be appreciated.
You´re answering your own question. It´s well established that high alcohol consumption can lead to hypertension, and that reducing alcohol consumption will have an impact on blood pressure. Try to cut down on it. Depending on how much you´re drinking you might or might not need help with that.  That aside, get followed up by your GP and follow his/her advice on the subject.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 09:38:29 pm »

Agreed. CP is infinitely more qualified than I. Target is 120/80 still (Systolic/Diastolic)?

Yeah, basically, seriously consider what your doctor recommends. I'm sure CP could tell you in great detail the reasons why high BP is scary. Please take care of yourself:
Eating healthier (I know, harder to do than say).
Less alcohol (I had to work on this, but it's possible if that helps).
Stress relief (May help with the alcohol, or rather it did for me, but to be fair, this was because my pain meds are not to be taken with booze, so.... Something had to give.).
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 07:56:38 am »

Appreciate all the suggestions. I've been cutting down alcohol intake slowly. I actually have an extremely healthy diet for the most part, in part because fruits and veggies are my job. I literally almost never eat processed foods and rarely put salt in meals. Occasionally I have some saltines or Gatorade to replenish sodium levels.

I have some stress, tis true, but as a semi-recovered addict, I'm loathe to get prescribed anything potentially addictive. My GP just told me to keep an eye on it and I've been checking it semi-regularly. It averages around 130/85 ish, lower in the mornings, higher at the end of the day. It's been as high as 159/93. Strangely it went down, at least short term, after I got home and drank. Dunno what's up there.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 08:57:09 am »

Saltines and Gatorade alone honestly probably aren't enough.

Also, how is your calcium intake? Do you avoid dairy? Calcium is a component of regulating blood pressure as well.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 04:49:00 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 04:47:55 pm »

Hey Hans, give this video a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT18-qwt_hQ

It goes over a couple components of high blood pressure that you might find enlightening.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2018, 07:02:53 pm »

Saltines and Gatorade alone honestly probably aren't enough.

Also, how is your calcium intake? Do you avoid dairy? Calcium is a component of regulating blood pressure as well.

I drink milk and eat cheese extremely regularly, I'll watch the video soon
He's fucking with us.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 02:29:43 pm »

magnesium supplement yo. get something your body can absorb, like magnesium citrate or glycinate. magnesium is a really common deficiency especially in the alcohol-dependant. funnily enough one of its symptoms is high blood pressure. also lessens anxiety, stops muscle twitches + helps sleep. it's so common that they will put magnesium in the banana bag if you end up in hospital withdrawing. magnesium.

tl;dr - magnesium = chill zone
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 02:32:25 pm by Caz »

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 03:15:54 pm »

magnesium supplement yo. get something your body can absorb, like magnesium citrate or glycinate. magnesium is a really common deficiency especially in the alcohol-dependant. funnily enough one of its symptoms is high blood pressure. also lessens anxiety, stops muscle twitches + helps sleep. it's so common that they will put magnesium in the banana bag if you end up in hospital withdrawing. magnesium.

tl;dr - magnesium = chill zone

I'm definitely gonna get a magnesium supplement then.
He's fucking with us.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2018, 09:42:09 am »

The banana bag is the good shit.

simpleyuji

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2018, 08:57:26 am »

Well, omega 3/fish oil supplements are known to reduce BP. And frequent exercise to keep the body in shape is a good way to go about it as well. Salt aside, sugar is another biggie to avoid as well. Which means avoiding softdrinks, sweets, as much as possible.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.