Finally... > Life Advice

High Blood Pressure

(1/3) > >>

Hanslanda:
Doc said I have somewhat elevated BP. I'm feeling it atm. Wondering if there's simple things I can do to lower it a bit.

Relevant: 26 year old white male, 6'3 200lbs (~190cm ~90 kilos) family history of high BP, low salt intake, high alcohol intake (also know I shouldn't drink but ya know)

Any advice would be appreciated.

Khan Boyzitbig:
You've had quite a lot of stress in your life I know that, and a doc saying you have high blood pressure (along with just going to the doc) will cause your blood pressure to increase. Stress causes higher blood pressure.

As for lowering it, I don't really know, maybe consume less caffeine? Avoiding stressful situations will help prevent it going higher.

If you get prescribed any medication and take it followed by wooziness or lethargy or unusually exhausted then stop taking them because your blood pressure wasn't high enough to safely do so.

I don't know a huge amount about high blood pressure, my family tend towards low instead, just that as long as it is simply above average and not dangerously high there is little to actually worry about.

nenjin:
Meditation to help manage the stress, for one. Whatever you can do to stay off blood pressure meds or the more aggressive treatments.

Also the link between sodium and hypertension may not be ironclad. I would consider trying to get the daily recommended dose of salt and see if that actually makes your symptoms worse or not. Low sodium can be plenty damaging on its own, versus high sodium (versus the right amount.)

Doomblade187:
Hm. Then again, 'low' salt intake in America could mean many things. I would suggest mapping the sodium content of what you typically eat in a week. Would let you know if you're high or low.

ChairmanPoo:

--- Quote from: Hanslanda on September 09, 2018, 12:16:01 pm ---Doc said I have somewhat elevated BP. I'm feeling it atm. Wondering if there's simple things I can do to lower it a bit.

Relevant: 26 year old white male, 6'3 200lbs (~190cm ~90 kilos) family history of high BP, low salt intake, high alcohol intake (also know I shouldn't drink but ya know)

Any advice would be appreciated.

--- End quote ---
You´re answering your own question. It´s well established that high alcohol consumption can lead to hypertension, and that reducing alcohol consumption will have an impact on blood pressure. Try to cut down on it. Depending on how much you´re drinking you might or might not need help with that.  That aside, get followed up by your GP and follow his/her advice on the subject.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version