Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Egypt: Old Kingdom - 4x Strategy game of the Great Pyramids period  (Read 1021 times)

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Egypt: Old Kingdom - 4x Strategy game of the Great Pyramids period
« on: September 06, 2018, 02:47:21 pm »

https://store.steampowered.com/app/646500/Egypt_Old_Kingdom/

(copy/paste of the Steam description for those who don't want to click the link right away. And I'm sure it can describe better than I can.)

Before the description. It released a free DLC today (Master of History). Before, it was limited to 300 turns. But the developer(s?) introduced endless mode. They also added mummy invasion mode and alien invasion mode as bonuses, so not entirely historical for those two but more for "fun". The dev(s?) added a lot of content though for a free DLC

With that, its also on sale till September 17th 2018.  40% off, so its pretty cheap now.

Now for the copy/paste of steam page...

You are one of the multitudes of incarnations of the great Horus, and side by side with the pharaohs, you are fighting against the mighty Seth, who unleashes numerous disasters upon the lands of Ancient Egypt. Win wars and overcome crises, discover new technologies, worship your gods and conquer neighboring tribes! Are you wise enough to help the ancient kings to unify Lower and Upper Egypt, build a stable economy and to erect the Great Pyramids?

Based on real history
You will find yourself in Memphis, 3500-2140 years B.C., the time of the first six dynasties of pharaohs. You will unify the country and create a prosperous kingdom, which later will have to face the havoc of the First Intermediate Period.

Construction of the Great Pyramids
You will lead the construction of pyramids, choose their design and materials. This process requires tremendous investments, but it is the only way to keep peace and order in the country.

Ancient society simulator
You will not only deal with the problems of farmers and craftsmen but also make important political decisions, which will define the future of the kingdom. Numerous challenges and events of different scale await you.

Ancient maps
Discover the world of the Old Kingdom: exploit new lands, send expeditions to different places, and meet different cultures. Use every opportunity to learn about your surroundings and to expand Egypt's borders.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt: Old Kingdom - 4x Strategy game of the Great Pyramids period
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 02:48:25 pm »

Not to double post, but since didn't want to put this in the main opening.

I searched and didn't see a thread on this. That or I'm blind (I do actually need new glasses). I was also contemplating putting it in the games that don't deserve their own thread. But, figured with the free DLC and how much it added it be worth making a new thread for it.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 04:29:36 pm »

Do you know how similar it is to their previous games? I enjoyed the other games Clarus Victoria's done, but they tend to get a little stale after a few playthroughs (and each playthrough was only a few hours). Predynastic Egypt was their most recent and best though, so I hope this one is even better.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 05:46:38 pm »

Do you know how similar it is to their previous games? I enjoyed the other games Clarus Victoria's done, but they tend to get a little stale after a few playthroughs (and each playthrough was only a few hours). Predynastic Egypt was their most recent and best though, so I hope this one is even better.

Well the DLC has endless mode. But, outside of that I never played their other game. Maybe someone else will have better info. Just what it says on their steam page

Differences from Predynastic Egypt
-More diversity in the game, varied tasks in the regions, different tactics for playthroughs and unique bonuses from patron gods.
-Egypt: Old Kingdom is longer.
-New technologies: 3D engine and skeletal animation.

Doesn't sound too much different gameplay wise, just more content. And guess having mummies or aliens around is kinda unique, despite not being historical. Still the same gameplay with just additional stuff added. Like when I encounter mummies, you can use workers to hunt them to lower the numbers. Which is pretty much like hunting other animals in the game.

I like that they added the endless mode though (which you can use for more historical games, not just mummies/aliens). But, I'm not sure how stale it'll get long term.

15 dollars is its base price, and I guess thats a fair price. Its not the biggest game on steam and download size is pretty small. And for its sale price at 9 dollars, I think that is rather decent. Also seems like an unique enough game, but not sure how much time I'll get out of it.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 11:50:10 pm »

PTW
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 07:55:45 pm »

Ignoring the DLC stuff, since this post came before that...

https://steamcommunity.com/app/646500/discussions/0/1743342647552339734/

Someone posted and talks about differences from Predynastic Egypt.