Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Economies of Scale (BetterMember Server)  (Read 8039 times)

Deagh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Economies of Scale (BetterMember Server)
« Reply #75 on: August 15, 2018, 02:01:56 pm »

Not a bug, but something that need balancing in my opinion is yeast. It's kinda difficult to produce, unless you really go full bakery products (it needs salt, which come from sub surface haletite and bakery refining, and sugar, that come from sugar cane from plantation and bakery refining, and potato, which come from vegetable field, so 4 buildings just for yeast) and it's very very long : 14h for 100k for a 100km˛ building. And the result is... something that value is 0.23$ the unit. And that product is mandatory for alcohol business and some bakeries products.

I think you should tweek the time to produce. So 100k should be around 2h or so for a 100m˛ factory.

Plus if you want to research it, you have to have the confectionery, so if you are producing alcohol you need an extra building to just research one thing.

Filtered water is a bit out of balance, too.  Takes forever to produce it, and the wholesale cost is the same as for unfiltered water, even though you have to add in electricity and a whole lot of time to make it.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2018, 02:39:18 pm »

Am I missing something, or is there no R&D building for Raw Meats? Are they secretly part of Animal Bioscience or Food R&D?

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2018, 09:12:13 pm »

Not a bug, but something that need balancing in my opinion is yeast. It's kinda difficult to produce, unless you really go full bakery products (it needs salt, which come from sub surface haletite and bakery refining, and sugar, that come from sugar cane from plantation and bakery refining, and potato, which come from vegetable field, so 4 buildings just for yeast) and it's very very long : 14h for 100k for a 100km˛ building. And the result is... something that value is 0.23$ the unit. And that product is mandatory for alcohol business and some bakeries products.

I think you should tweek the time to produce. So 100k should be around 2h or so for a 100m˛ factory.

Plus if you want to research it, you have to have the confectionery, so if you are producing alcohol you need an extra building to just research one thing.

Filtered water is a bit out of balance, too.  Takes forever to produce it, and the wholesale cost is the same as for unfiltered water, even though you have to add in electricity and a whole lot of time to make it.

It's pretty clear that the "wholesale value" stat is overpowered.  It seems like the only products worth making are whole turkeys and whole chickens, and boxes of cigars, and maybe steel.  Something really should be done about it.

There are lots of products that are like the yeast example.  They require lots of components from lots of different industries, but the end result still has a very low wholesale value.  No one is going to bother making these products if they end up with something with a wholesale value of around $1 or even less.

Aranna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2018, 09:28:29 am »

Am I missing something, or is there no R&D building for Raw Meats? Are they secretly part of Animal Bioscience or Food R&D?

I typed up a reply last night and forgot to post it, whoops.

All the raw meats are researched in the Animal Bioscience R&D. If you click on the little icons in the Warehouse, B2B, or EoS-pedia it brings up a pop up of the item's info page. The bottom part shows "Used in" (things item is a raw material for), "Sold at" (stores which sell it), and "Researched at" (R&Ds which research it).

Also, if you need Charcoal or Plastic Bag Rolls feel free to put up a Request on the B2B (light gray "Add Req" button on the right) and I (or someone else) will fill it for you.

Whivy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 16, 2018, 11:02:48 am »

I typed up a reply last night and forgot to post it, whoops.

All the raw meats are researched in the Animal Bioscience R&D. If you click on the little icons in the Warehouse, B2B, or EoS-pedia it brings up a pop up of the item's info page. The bottom part shows "Used in" (things item is a raw material for), "Sold at" (stores which sell it), and "Researched at" (R&Ds which research it).

Also, if you need Charcoal or Plastic Bag Rolls feel free to put up a Request on the B2B (light gray "Add Req" button on the right) and I (or someone else) will fill it for you.

Oh that's must be very new. Last week it wasn't there, i checked (since it's one of my main source of incomes). Would be good if admin posted more system newsletter, since he seems to be active, but some time we don't even see what's updated.

Deagh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2018, 11:27:44 pm »

Looks like there's no research building for fast food.  Although I guess that would be logical, since fast food generally isn't known for its stellar quality and all, but still.  If there's plans for one, that's great, I'll just wait, but I thought I'd mention it so that it can get on the list, if it isn't already :)

Deagh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2018, 04:55:14 pm »

Looks like there's no research building for fast food.  Although I guess that would be logical, since fast food generally isn't known for its stellar quality and all, but still.  If there's plans for one, that's great, I'll just wait, but I thought I'd mention it so that it can get on the list, if it isn't already :)

And it looks like it was added today.  Thanks!

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #82 on: September 10, 2018, 08:17:38 pm »

Well, I'm at the top of the list of those untainted by the broken quest system, and nearly at the top, period.
(I really think there should've been a full reset when the quests were disabled/removed, but I guess I'm proof it didn't matter.)
Not sure how much longer I'll be playing.
It's been fun, but it feels like there's not much left to do except branch out to different flavors of the same routine.
I've just built and set to expansion about 400m2 of fossil fuel plants, 750m2 of wells, 1200ms of stores, 400m2 of smelters, 400m2 of mines, and outsourced probably 25MM in research.
The pittance in speeding up that's available means that there's little for me to do for the next week.
The fact that I put up 10% in profits (around 2MM per position per day) in do-nothing jobs, yet none were applied to shows there's no new blood and little community.

Whivy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 11, 2018, 10:30:01 am »

Indeed the game already seem quite abandonned. A shame. Maybe i'm wrong, since we have no way whatsoever to follow the current work or progress (even a trello or a public to do list would have been enough). Without high end items (cars and such), even without reaching the 10top company, i'm getting bored. It's as you said, routine into producing, expanding to produce more, and produce again.

At least, the water and electricity crisis provide for some entertainment.

I never understood the interest behind hiring and taking a job though. The goal of the game is to make your company, why would someone want to start as someone underling ? If i'm going into the tedious task of building something, i want to start from the bottom, for my own company.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 11, 2018, 11:26:10 am »

For one the market is too large. People can literally pump out turkeys all day out and still sell them as fast as they wish without ever saturating demand

Then price sensibility is too low. You can turn a profit on anything because a large enough store eventually sells everything at any margin.

Then there’s competition fragmentation. People are competing on apples slowing sales? No worries, any other fruit will sell just fine! The demand should ibstead be grouped into macro categories. Dumping a lot of apple at low price should affect all fruit pricing, so that you cannot just evade competition doing whatever fruit or meat is cirrently least produced

Then there’s the market equation themselves. Demand depending on wholesale prices is flat out pushing everyone into whatever costs most to produce because higher margin are guaranteed by the demand curve

All in all the whole game push people not to interact.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 12, 2018, 11:19:30 am »

For one the market is too large. People can literally pump out turkeys all day out and still sell them as fast as they wish without ever saturating demand

Then price sensibility is too low. You can turn a profit on anything because a large enough store eventually sells everything at any margin.

Then there’s competition fragmentation. People are competing on apples slowing sales? No worries, any other fruit will sell just fine! The demand should ibstead be grouped into macro categories. Dumping a lot of apple at low price should affect all fruit pricing, so that you cannot just evade competition doing whatever fruit or meat is cirrently least produced

Then there’s the market equation themselves. Demand depending on wholesale prices is flat out pushing everyone into whatever costs most to produce because higher margin are guaranteed by the demand curve

All in all the whole game push people not to interact.
This stuff has all been true since the first version.
Player interaction is pretty much non-existent and not encouraged in anyway, unless you start as a hobo.  There are no real incentives for non-hobos to hire hobos, because trust.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]