Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Solo traveling! What should I know?  (Read 1221 times)

Naxza

• Bay Watcher
  • Wanderer of Broken Worlds
    • View Profile
Solo traveling! What should I know?
« on: September 09, 2018, 07:12:27 pm »

As I've probably mentioned elsewhere, I'm leaving behind most of my material possessions and, at the end of the month, am departing for the land of the rising sun, and three months thereafter, New Zealand for the indiscernible (or at present, a maximum of one year) future. I've been to Japan for two weeks with my sister last year in the same region, so I get some of the cultural differences and the availability of English signage (my Japanese is woeful). Those logistics, I can handle as I go.

More concerning to me is doing it all on my own. I've never traveled so much or so far by myself. I'm in good health, my finances are in good arrangement, I have my plane ticket, and my place to stay- for Japan, at least. I'm going to have traveling insurance figured out by midweek, so that one's checked off. It's the lonelinessness, long-term unfamiliarity, and somewhat aimlessness of it that has me concerned. I know I'll have only myself to rely on, so I want to make sure I'm taking that into accommodation as I go, so I'm asking you lot if there's things I can do for my psyche or for my travels to make the best of it all. I've lived on my own plenty, but never so far from the world and people I knew.

Your thoughts, anyone?

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Solo traveling! What should I know?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 01:18:05 pm »

I've done a serious amount of solo travelling (for pleasure and work) and there's two things I'd recommend.

Firstly, plan and plan even more. Getting stuck in the middle of nowhere because you missed the last train isn't a big deal if there's a few of you, more so if you're just on your own. The countries you're going to are super safe and friendly so it's not a big issue, but just be sure to plan. I always plan an evening meal somewhere and work my way to wherever it is slowly, taking in all the sights on the way - it's a good way of focusing your day.

If you're coming in and out of the same place such as an airport/train station/etc., leave a copy of important documents (such as a copy of your passport, a form of ID you're not using, copy of flight plans, medical/insurance stuff etc.) and a bit of cash in a rental deposit box there - it might seem a bit OTT, but it's really useful to know that if you lose everything you can still get access to it. 

My biggest tip though would be to have something to focus on which isn't travelling. It might be writing a book, drawing, learning a language - anything really. Just dedicate yourself to that whilst you're travelling round. It'll give you something to focus on if you get a bit lonely, and it'll stop any feelings of aimlessness.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 03:31:38 pm »

You should know that Jabba has no use for "travellers" that drop the cargo at the first sign of an Imperial Cruiser. Begone.
I recently became a objectivist, I am reasonably certain that means all my opinions are now universal fact.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 09:05:33 am »

The guy not in uniform who offers to take your bags is probably not the guy you should give bags too  :P

mangointango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 12:40:24 pm »

I agree on planning everything. Also, I would recommend downloading offline maps and buying a power bank. You can read more https://www.nomadicmatt.com/travel-blogs/61-travel-tips/
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 12:52:17 pm by mangointango »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 06:46:31 pm »

Gosh, that was honestly a pretty believable bot.
A few on-topic posts in emotion threads and everything.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 06:53:25 pm »

Was there one that was deleted or do you mean mangointango?

žk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 03:57:11 am »

It's difficult to tell if their bot or not...
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

mangointango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2019, 08:19:39 am »

Well, I'm sorry for my chatting style, but I'm not a bot: :)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2019, 09:47:42 am »

Well, I'm sorry for my chatting style, but I'm not a bot: :)
That's what a bot would say
I recently became a objectivist, I am reasonably certain that means all my opinions are now universal fact.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.