Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vanilla expanded  (Read 1070 times)

UristMcArmok

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:ELF]
    • View Profile
Vanilla expanded
« on: September 09, 2018, 09:02:47 pm »

What do you think dwarf fortress could use that would fit very well with the vanilla feel of the game? I’ll consider your suggestions and compile it into a mod. Nothing in this mod would be invaisive and only serve to better the vanilla style. So far I have a few changed names (such as steaks instead of ‘meat’ and planks instead of wood blocks, Among other things) I also plan to slightly rebalance the vanilla weapons to make two handed weapons more viable and things like maces and daggers more useful. I was also considering some unique weapons/gem shapes/armor that can only be obtained via artifacts, just to spice thing up a bit.
When in doubt, Succeed from the union.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
Re: Vanilla expanded
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 09:25:32 pm »

Well, if that's not too much of a shameless self-promotion, I offer you take a look on my mod (sig link) in regards to weapons. I tried to make the weapons more balanced, distinct and specialized, while maintaining the vanilla spirit. The mod has some big updates on the way, so here is the work-in-progress version of the weapons file just in case. If you prefer to stay really close to vanilla, you can safely ignore all the new attacks as well as the speed rebalance - but if you're interested in those features, I can explain the details and my general reasoning behind them further.

You may also try out my LAYER_SIZE values for armor, if you find the vanilla encumbrance too big of a problem for most armored soldiers.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

UristMcArmok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 04:11:28 am »

Well, if that's not too much of a shameless self-promotion, I offer you take a look on my mod (sig link) in regards to weapons. I tried to make the weapons more balanced, distinct and specialized, while maintaining the vanilla spirit. The mod has some big updates on the way, so here is the work-in-progress version of the weapons file just in case. If you prefer to stay really close to vanilla, you can safely ignore all the new attacks as well as the speed rebalance - but if you're interested in those features, I can explain the details and my general reasoning behind them further.

You may also try out my LAYER_SIZE values for armor, if you find the vanilla encumbrance too big of a problem for most armored soldiers.

Dang, nice work. This mod won’t be focused solely on weapons but I must admit yours seem a but more refined than mine. Keep it up (:

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 12:08:44 pm »

What do you think dwarf fortress could use that would fit very well with the vanilla feel of the game?
Ah, ehm, I maintain and update the OldGenesis mod (130 to 500 users), and I believe it adheres to the vanilla feel of the game.
OldGenesis has like 300 tweaks that fit your query. Feel free to copy parts of it.

More weapons, more armors, elf subspecies, human subspecies, goblin subspecies, centaurs, weaponless beastmen, tricksy serpentfolk, demon civ, mind flayer civ. It's super easy to remove unwanted civs.
Also more minerals, trees, plants, workshops, reactions, wood tiers, leather tiers. More languages, including my native Finnish.
Whips replaced with halberds.

From the documentation:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Food renamings by me:

Toys for fun and altar & alchemy:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 12:25:38 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

UristMcArmok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 05:33:52 am »

The genesis mod strays a bit further than what I’m working on. I don’t plan on adding very much in terms of ‘new’ content like extra races. Mostly just tweaking existing things and perhaps adding a few items (purely for flavors sake). Right now I have several renamed items, lots of food variants, rebalanced weapons (still wip), organic stuff like flesh now slowly deteriorates in extreme cold, and lots and lots of extra alternate dialogue responses (purely flavorful)

I think a lot of people overlook or just don’t know that you can mod in new NPC responses. It’s nice to change up the text a bit. I plan on adding about 10 times the amount of vanilla responses just so conversations seem a bit more organic

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 08:58:03 am »

Where are the NPC dialogue stuff I am one of those in the dark

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 09:10:30 am »

Looks like this is the place to self-promote, so I’m going to do that. My mod adds ~20 real-life animals, half as many vermin, and a few plants. It’s due for an update, but hermit crabs have been trickier than I initially envisioned.

Regarding your mod, maybe more normal minerals/gems? Also trees, Dwarf Fortress is totally lacking in tree variation, though that’s partially because a lot of trees grow in all the tropical biomes, or all the temperate biomes, causing them to appear on nigh every embark.
More variation in naming for the easy/fine/lavish meals is something that has been done before, but it nonetheless would be a nice addition.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 06:37:24 pm »

Where are the NPC dialogue stuff I am one of those in the dark
The files in the data/speech/ folder.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.