Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26

Author Topic: Wizard Kingdom RTD [Turn 15: Items of Power]  (Read 42964 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Wizard Kingdom RTD [Turn 15: Items of Power]
« on: September 10, 2018, 07:02:05 pm »

Seven months ago, the Royal Council decreed the crown princess, still in regency, the ward of the capital's Mage's Guild. Coincidentally, fifteen weeks later the sky darkened with seething nightmares, living fears and mutated wildlife began stalking the land, and a great column of unreality rose around the former capital, like a beckoning monument heralding the end of sanity and physical reality as you know it.

Anyway, you've made your way to a promising village where you hope to start up a new life in this terror-infested land. Sure, the sky is constantly shrouded by strange purple clouds, the plants and animals are mutated and strange when they resemble natural beings at all, and that pillar of madness keeps dancing faintly on the horizon no matter where you are in the (presumably former) kingdom.

But hey, you gotta start somewhere, right?

Spoiler: Mechanics (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Missions and You (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Skills (click to show/hide)
Code: (Character Sheet) [Select]
[b]Name:[/b] What do they call you?
[b]Description:[/b] What do you look like, physically?
[b]Primary Skill:[/b] Select or invent one skill to start at +5
[b]Secondary Skills:[/b] Select or invent two skills to start at +3
[b]Precious Item:[/b] In addition to clothing, tools, and other such necessities, you start with a particularly useful and fancy item.
[b]Backstory:[/b] How you came to this particular village and what you intend to do now.
Code: (Village Sheet) [Select]
[b]Location:[/b]
-Central Duchies. Alarmingly close to the maelstrom, the central duchies were known as river-laden and slightly hilly before the, uh, incident. Now they're home to some of the more alarming sightings of... things.
-Northern Duchies. Heavily forested, they were once a good frontier for industry and wild game. They are now infested with mobile plant life none too fond of the meatlings' current shenanigans.
-Eastern Duchies. Largely coastal, they were once a hotbed of intrigue and pointless backstabbing. They are now overrun by various benthic horrors.
-Southern Duchies. Soggy and fertile, they were once a combination of noxious swamp and fertile farmland. They are now stalked by magical beasts and renegade constructs.
-Western Duchies. Arid and desolate, they were once considered the second best source of magecraft in the kingdom. They are now divided between bickering factions of undead and living.
[b]Size:[/b]
-Small. The village was never much to look at, and now it needs your help.
-Medium. The village has a good base to work with, and at least one special resource available. It's also a tempting target.
-Large. The village has an impressive population and developed infrastructure, plus one special resource and two plentiful basic resources. It's also besieged by at least one powerful foe.
[b]Situation:[/b]
-Isolated. The village is wedged atop a mountain, behind a thick forest, or otherwise placed in a defensible but cramped spot.
-Connected: The village is located atop a hill, in a forest, or otherwise placed in a somewhat defensible, somewhat accessible location.
-Open: The village is located in the middle of a field, right in front of a forest, or otherwise in a wide open, utterly indefensible place.
[b]Terrible Secret:[/b] The village probably has something special about it. What is that thing?
I'll take as many players as I can hold, but I'll probably only be able to run 6-8 at a time; the rest will have to idle away in the village, harvesting grain or making cups.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 05:10:22 am by IronyOwl »
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Wizard Kingdom RTD [Recruiting!]
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 07:02:42 pm »

Player List
-Not empty! In fact quite populated! More details to come! Eventually!

Waitlisted:
Xiaoli Wind-Foot (Sir Elventide)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 03:01:39 am by IronyOwl »
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 07:03:08 pm »

Background Information
-Also empty!

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 07:04:14 pm »

Yay. Sheets edited in.
Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 06:51:28 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 07:28:42 pm »

Irony you cad.
One moment.
Shit I hit new post.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 07:44:40 pm by Dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 07:43:25 pm »

Name: Mordre Deepstone
Description: "Listen you little shit, back in MY day..."
Primary Skill: Stone
Secondary Skills: Masonry, Necromancy
Precious Item: "This chisel has been passed down through COUNTLESS GENERATIONS of my family, IT'S HISTORY began in the LONG MISTS OF AGES PAST-"
Backstory: "I got kicked out cause people got fuckin' scared of my projects! Scared! I can assure you it was all under control. My control, specifically. What, no listen making AN ARMY OF GOLEMS by STUFFING THE SOULS OF THE DEAD INTO STATUES isn't ANYTHING to be KICKING A GUY OUT OF THE KINGDOM FOR, they are PERFECTLY SAFE, and those rants about MAKING THEM PAY were purely OUT OF CONTEXT and HYPERBOLE."
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 07:46:03 pm by Dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 07:53:42 pm »

Haha, this is a sequel to that game, isn't it? Erin Quill will be on his way once I get back to my computer!

EDIT: Also, village suggestion. Medium, connected, and a special resource of floatstone - a material that, in defiance of physics, floats in mid-air, and can hold up fairly massive objects. The result: wherever we end up putting the village, much of it will be suspended in the sky.

EDIT2:
Name: Erin Quill
Description: Relatively skinny, with skin that points to ancestors from the desert regions. At some point, he replaced his eyes with a pair of black, rune-engraved pebbles, and his left arm with an enchanted prosthetic made of metal wood (don't ask, about either). He wears a lab coat white robe that's open at the front at almost all times. Looks to be in his early 20s.
Primary Skill: Artifice, involving the imbuement of magical properties into mundane items, ranging from the relatively normal (such as burning swords) to the complex and mind-bending (such as a Turing-complete magical processor on par with or surpassing modern computers, ala Discworld's Hex).
Secondary Skills: Metal and Air
Precious Item: Ironclad clipper of the clouds! Yep, Erin has a flying boat, powered by floatstone, plated with metal, propelled with air magic, and including copious amounts of artifice-powered subsystems, including illusion-based maps (work like sci-to holograms), a variety of sensors to help determine where the ship actually is as at any given moment (and how fast it's going), and even a rudimentary autopilot. It does not, however, have much space, and the few rooms it has for crew are rather cramped; only in the cargo area is there much room, and that's only true when he vessel is running light. It's meant as an expeditionary vessel, not for comfort. That thing got shipwrecked a bit before we got to the village. But Erin does have a magitech gun that shoots raw, crystallized magic at stuff.
Backstory: "Alright, so I'd been out on an expedition hunting for artifacts - unsuccessfully, unfortunately - and was on my way back home and to the Guild when I noticed all this stuff" gestures at the maelstrom centered on the capital "and then I saw you guys trekking along and hey, no good reason not to pick you up to help you get to your destination faster!" And then the ship crashes into a giant stone pillar that showed up out of nowhere.

EDIT3: I notice that nobody has put forward any village ideas. I'll set up a sheet for it myself.
Size: Medium, with floatstone.
Situation: Connected
"Terrible Secret": hahahaha fuck that shit they don't have any place that you can get a good drink at nobody there actually gives a shit about the apocalypse, they mostly think "good riddance" about the folks in the capital like, almost everyone is a were-beast of some kind, and about half of the werebeasts are were-birds of some variety.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 08:31:55 am by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 08:15:32 pm »

Name: Evelyn Adams, or “Auntie Adams”
Description: A short and full-figured middle-aged woman. She is pale with black hair and expressive green eyes.
Primary Skill: +5 Life
Secondary Skills: +3 Flesh, +3 Bone
Precious Item: A large flagon of powerful anisthetic/sedative.
Backstory: She was home-trained in a small country town as a midwife and healer. She eventually ended up focusing on birth and maternal health, which lead her to have a bit of an obsession with the forces of life. She tells everyone she’s going to “build her own babies”, but few take her seriously. She has spent some time now shut-in while she studies.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 08:18:34 pm by The Lupanian »
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 08:27:15 pm »

Name: Smith
Description: A tall lanky figure, eternally clad in metal armor. What may have once been a beautiful, engraved piece of art, the ravage of time have remedied that. Rust coats most of the armor and the engravings and inlays have been erased or damage beyond the point of legibility. Green eyes peer through the visor slot.
Primary Skill+5:
Metal: Manipulation of refined metals. Can shape, mend, and alter metals. Usually considered a utility school for crafting and maintaining metal arms and armor.
Secondary Skills+3:
Animation: Ritual magic focused on imbuing inanimate objects with motion and purpose. Has little to no effect on living things.
Blacksmithing: Working with metal to create tools, weapons, and armor.
Precious Item: Formallic Hammer- An enchanted blacksmith hammer. Can pound raw ore into refined metal in just a few swings.
Backstory: Smith came from a family of metalworkers, blacksmiths, and jewelers. Having secluding himself away from civilization, Smith spent his life toiling at the anvil, but when the cataclysm came and his working has been destroyed, Smith turned up here. Now Smith works to rebuild his work, one smack of the anvil at a time.

Village:
Size: Medium, with floatstone.
Situation: Isolated
"Terrible Secret": There's a plague going around. But it doesn't affect the mind or the body. No, it affects the soul itself. Those who catch it are brought low with fever and sickness, and those who pass with it find themselves unable to pass on. Their spirit twisted with pain and agony, lashing at out with spectral claws and vile curses at all who come near it.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 10:02:26 pm by Yottawhat »
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 08:32:41 pm »

boop

Name: Erntrinsticia Frombollywhotsit, Lady-witch of magnificence! Or From, for short.
Description: A tiny little girl. She claims that she's totally like, an elf or gnome or something, and actually super old. She has very long dark hair, and frankly quite ominous flashy purple eyes, which burn with an uncomfortably Magical glow. She wears all black robes and an exceptionally wide-brimmed witch hat.
Primary Skill: Corvid Magics (Magics relating to manipulating corvids in various ways. From asking them where the good restaurants are around here, to telling them to shit on an annoying person, to telling them that they're so pretty and smart, to asking them for fashion advice!)
Secondary Skills: DEATH, Fashion
Precious Item: My good friend, Lady Irstivfell the Raven! She knows everything!
Backstory: Birds are great. I like birds. Was totally gonna go do an apprenticeship at that mage's guild place up in the capital, once I got the whole "magic" thing down. But then the capital exploded, and otherworldly horrors started crawling out of the boundaries of reality. So I decided to walk the other way for a little bit. And who knew, I ended up in this dead-end dump! Better than nothing, I guess.

Size:
-Small
Situation:
-Isolated
Terrible Secret:
-Apparently the trees around here leak some strange substance called "maple syrup". Surely a potent alchemical reagent of some sort!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 10:42:26 pm by Egan_BW »
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 08:53:37 pm »

Name: Erik the Ninja
Description: Hard to tell under that ninja outfit! Sounds like a young male human, though.
Primary Skill: Ninjaturgy, the ancient art of ninja magicks. The ancient magic of ninja artks. Very useful for turning invisible and stabbing and poisoning things.
Secondary Skills:
-Elemental: Lightning
-Combat: Shurikens "it's totally a practical weapon, I swear"
Precious Item: The sword of my ninja master, who recently died in a human-sacrifice-related incident. Unfortunately it has become welded to the scabbard, but it's still a great spell focus!
Backstory: I overslept and came into work late and found out the rest of my ninja clan had all sacrificed themselves to empower a world-ending fire goddess. It's like the office christmas party all over again, I swear. Now I'm trying to figure out who I can arbitrarily blame so that I can avenge them.

Village: Southern duchies, large, isolated. Permanent -1 to anything called "floatstone", unless it's pumice. Even then, really. Terrible secret: Everyone in this village has a second face underneath their face, and that face is always staring at you no matter where you go. Also, demons keep coming out of the well.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 01:38:07 am by Maximum Spin »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2018, 08:56:28 pm »

Name: Archimedes
Description: Old bearded guy? Sure. Though his beard is filled with knots and bits of wood. Robes? Sure. Covered in green paint. A terrifying grin? Well, more like a frown.
Primary Skill: Returnamancy. What goes around comes around when you're dealing with a Returnamancer. Returnamancy is a sort of fate manipulation that's used to bend chance in order to retaliate against something done to the user. Burn the user? A returnamancy spell can ensure you fall in a fire. Steal their money? There goes yours!
Secondary Skills: Alchemy and Medicine(for those times when magic isn't the best healing option).
Precious Item: Archimedes' mourning ring, carved of some black stone and set with a purple gem. Interestingly his wife is nowhere around.
Backstory: Archimedes was 84 when his wife died in spite of his best efforts. His vaunted Returnamancy was of no help against a disease made by no man. This has made him bitter and driven at the same time. Hopefully he'll be able to find or brew the Panacea, the cure-all that he believes he owes to his dead wife. Here he might find ingredients unavailable anywhere else for his alchemy.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 09:06:00 pm by FallacyofUrist »
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 09:38:22 pm »

Erin and a village are in my post.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 09:47:26 pm »

sheet in progress

Name: Li Kao
Description: A small Asian man. Looks fairly old, sports a bald head and rocks a fu Manchu beard and mustache. Walks with a slight hunch, wears grey martial arts clothes and slippers.
Primary Skill: Chi magic
Secondary Skills: Wuxia fighting, Elemental:life
Precious Item: A matching tea set of a pot and two cups. The pot is somehow always filled with hot, tasty tea whenever you want it to be.
Backstory: After losing an entire dojo worth of students in a freak chi explosion incident, Like Kao has been wandering the world, seeking out opportunities to better his craft. And so, he ended up here. Good thing the journey is more important than the destination.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 11:50:56 pm by Pancaek »

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2018, 08:01:14 am »

Name: Hrodpreht
Description: Looks almost like a normal human being, with pale hair and dressed in white robes. His face has completely melted into an unrecognizable mess, but he's still somehow able to see and talk.
Primary Skill: Dagon Magic
Secondary Skills: Teaching, Summoning
Precious Item: An idol of Father Dagon, found in the basement of the chapel he was sealed in.
Backstory: Hrodpreht used to be a minor and incorporeal otherworldly entity that was accidentaly summoned by the prayers of a young priest, by which he was sealed inside of the basement of a chapel. In return, Hrodpreht focused all of his energy into slowly corrupting the priest, which left him weakened and no stronger than a normal human being. After his corruption caused said priest's death, the seal broke, which allowed him to possess one of the nearby clerics and escape the basement. Now that he's trapped inside of the body of a cleric, he's unable to use his old powers and return to the nightmare dimension he came from. Because of this, he's been forced to stay here and regain his strenght the old way: manipulation of mortals.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 11:06:33 am by randomgenericusername »
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26