Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Clothing Male Dwarves and Female Dwarves  (Read 1349 times)

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Clothing Male Dwarves and Female Dwarves
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2018, 05:35:13 pm »

[The woodcutters] will still have to wear dresses, and that's okay.

But how can they sleep all night and work all day if the day/night cycle isn't implemented in Fortress Mode yet?
Have hope! Before there were taverns in 42.01, they couldn't hang around in bars!

Toady is working on critical features every day. It's clear that this is a development priority, and we'll get there eventually!

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2018, 02:45:03 am »

[The woodcutters] will still have to wear dresses, and that's okay.
But how can they sleep all night and work all day if the day/night cycle isn't implemented in Fortress Mode yet?
Have hope! Before there were taverns in 42.01, they couldn't hang around in bars!
As long as the Presser labor can be used on wildflowers, I'll be happy.

But back on topic, in the Suggestions forum I've asked if Toady could implement two new traffic designations: One that strongly discourages males (of any sentient race, all invaders are exempt), and another that similarly wards off females. I meant it for the creation of segregated bathing areas, but it would work just as well for the storing of clothes. Fine-tune your stockpile settings to suit your taste, and you're good to go. If/when this ever gets implemented, of course.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2018, 06:13:21 am »

You'd have them come to the well by different paths, but they'd still bathe at the same well with traffic designations.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2018, 06:04:37 pm »

You'd have them come to the well by different paths, but they'd still bathe at the same well with traffic designations.
IF you're silly enough to only dig the one well, sure.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2018, 06:17:47 pm »

I personally think of skirts as kilts, and dresses can be manly. Think of monks for exemple, but also samurai could wear outfits that ressemble dresses.

Spoiler: Or this (click to show/hide)

In DF, your little people dress accordingly to their traditions, which vary from civ to civ, so what we percieve as "feminine" or "masculine" they may (and often do) have a different take on.

In the end, items in DF are non-specific, and in the end I believe your imagination is, right now, the best way to make up for the lack of distinctive gender roles in the game.

The good new is, the gender roles in rural medieval ages are often overplayed. Women did work in the fields and assist their husbands in pretty much all tasks. Just make a pure male military and you're good to go.

Just my opinion tho
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 06:20:03 pm by Cathar »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2018, 01:59:46 am »

IF you're silly enough to only dig the one well, sure.
Traffic designations, or actual walkable time aren't taken into account when picking something to eat (and thus, presumably, bathe); only "as bird flies" is. (The FPS would be much lower otherwise.)

You'd have to separate your map into two with burrows, or ideally walls, and then you won't need traffic designations anyway since the woman and men never meet.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2018, 03:05:51 am »

Traffic designations, or actual walkable time aren't taken into account when picking something to eat (and thus, presumably, bathe); only "as bird flies" is. (The FPS would be much lower otherwise.)
Then there should be some way to signal the computer that you actually want it to calculate the full pathing cost of actually walking there. The traffic designation alone should be enough, considering how rarely they seem to be used. If the selected destination tile has a traffic designation, run the full pathfinding cost.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2018, 08:18:13 am »

Issue is that jobs have prioritization, jobs pick dwarves, and it appears at least part of it is linked to path distance. I'm not sure you can do that just for wells without doing it for everyone else. Plus, given that using traffic designations is standard fps improvement advice, that all but my earliest forts use them, and I see them explicitly mentioned in successions as well, I'm not sure I'd call them used rarely either, and it'd lead to reports like "painted my dining hall high priority per standard advice and fps plummeted".

Far simpler and more versatile solution is for wells (and potentially zones) to have list of allowed users, much like levers do. Attach a filter function to that (or use a macro) and could mark a well male/female-only in seconds.

(That's not to say pre-or other ways defined group-type traffic designations couldn't have interesting effects, i.e. civilians use long path while military enters dining room through a repeating training spear field. Albeit I'm worried about the FPS impact. )
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 08:20:09 am by Fleeting Frames »
Pages: 1 [2]