Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Better Parry/Block?  (Read 1804 times)

UristMcArmok

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:ELF]
    • View Profile
Better Parry/Block?
« on: September 11, 2018, 06:00:20 am »

I think it would be interesting to have parrying have a chance to disarm your opponent if your strength is significantly higher than theirs. Parrying should also be able to damage weapons of lesser materials than them. I also think heavy attacks from very strong or large creatures should stagger when blocked by a shield. Something about a dwarf blocking an elephants tusk or giants fist with a shield and NOT being staggered or pushed back at all just doesn’t seem right to me.
When in doubt, Succeed from the union.

Tinnucorch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Better Parry/Block?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 09:39:35 am »

I think creatures are already propelled away when hitted with sufficient force even if the hit is blocked. IIRC I saw it fighting tiny creatures in adventurer mode. But it seems weird that it doesn't happen when dwarfs fight giants and other very large creatures.

Miles_Umbrae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 10:02:37 am »

Maybe limit disarming parry to Legendary fighters?

Tinnucorch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 10:34:03 am »

About parrying disarming, I think it should be like all other aimed attacks. I mean, players should be able to specifically aim at just disarm their opponent. If I'm right, disarming right now it's only achievable by injuring the grasping hand/arm. It will also make sense to be able to disarm an opponent by wrestling with them, if it's not possible already.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 02:22:25 pm by Tinnucorch »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 10:57:27 am »

About parrying, I think it should be like all other aimed attacks. I mean, players should be able to specifically aim at just disarm their opponent. If I'm right, disarming right now it's only achievable by injuring the grasping hand/arm. It will also make sense to be able to disarm an opponent by wrestling with them, if it's not possible already.
Grab their weapon, go into I menu, and gain possession. Weapon is yours.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Ninjabread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 11:49:20 am »

I can tell you from personal experience, weaker opponents can still be very effective at disarming via parry. During my first year of practising hema, I had a one on one with a friend who was a notable figure in the regional fencing scene. I was easily stronger than he was, as I proved with my impressive display of wrestling after he disarmed me on my first strike.

Tinnucorch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 03:43:33 pm »

About parrying, I think it should be like all other aimed attacks. I mean, players should be able to specifically aim at just disarm their opponent. If I'm right, disarming right now it's only achievable by injuring the grasping hand/arm. It will also make sense to be able to disarm an opponent by wrestling with them, if it's not possible already.

Well, then it's just a matter of making creatures a little bit smarter and make them grab your weapons instead of your armor  :P

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 03:45:56 pm »

This is my go-to when fighting armed opponents
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 07:56:09 pm »

This is my go-to when fighting armed opponents
And it feels good to kill someone with their own sword.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 06:33:23 am »

Parry/Block is already overpowered, this suggestion is basically making it even more so.

Tinnucorch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 07:24:54 am »

Is making blocking susceptible to staggering making it overpowered?

Also, there is a reason why shields were used during more than four millenia. Its impact in a combat is huge. You may call it overpowered if you like, but that is how it is in real life. Something similar happens for parrying, which is ultimatelly knowing how to fight, as opossed to just stabing or crushing things with a weapon which is something that requires much less skill and can be done by almost anyone with enough strenght to wield the weapon in question.

And finally, I don't see a concern since everything avaible to the player will also be available to NPCs.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2018, 05:40:06 pm »

The most important thing, IMO, is to make sure parrying/blocking is an active response, not a passive one. An attack being blocked by your *steel high boot* or glancing away or whatever, that's a passive action; you didn't have to devote your time/attention/energy to it, the defense happened automatically. But to raise your shield to intercept a coming attack, or swing your sword to deflect a spear thrust, or duck under the swing of a troll's fist, those are all actions--of which you can only perform a given amount in a certain time. In one-on-one fights, the difference is negligible, but in cases where one opponent is outnumbered, it can get ridiculous: If a dwarf is fighting 3 goblins, he shouldn't get a free parry/block attempt triggered by each incoming attack, he should only have a set number of parries/blocks/dodges that he is physically able to perform in a given time. Tying the parry chances to each attack makes it like the goblins are actually parrying themselves. Attacks should still have a chance to miss/etc. on their own, but anything more than that should be tied to the defender's action, not the attacker's.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2018, 07:15:42 pm »

That’s especially true for parrying I feel, and should help alleviate the problem of the Legendary Soldier Blender, where once a soldiers at a certain level he can more or less wade into a fight and kill as many people as he wants with impunity until he collapses from the exertion and gets mobbed
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2018, 08:00:24 am »

Is making blocking susceptible to staggering making it overpowered?

Also, there is a reason why shields were used during more than four millenia. Its impact in a combat is huge. You may call it overpowered if you like, but that is how it is in real life. Something similar happens for parrying, which is ultimatelly knowing how to fight, as opossed to just stabing or crushing things with a weapon which is something that requires much less skill and can be done by almost anyone with enough strenght to wield the weapon in question.

And finally, I don't see a concern since everything avaible to the player will also be available to NPCs.

Being able to disarm opponents is far more powerful than the notional ability to be staggered fighting super big opponents.  You don't fight super-big opponents very often.