Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Regarding Dwarves, Which grouping fits you the best?

Small Nose Fan
Big Nose Enjoyer

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 27

Author Topic: ☼«☼Vettlingr's Tileset☼»☼ 32x 1.6-1 - OUTLINED Edition. Updated 3/7-22  (Read 267863 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ≡Vettlingr's Tileset≡ 1.3 - Disastrous Edition. Updated 9/10
« Reply #150 on: October 10, 2019, 02:38:06 am »

I shall ramp up my game then. :P

Voted for gold btw. It's not an armor material color, so it's clear that the yellow doesn't show the actual mat. Grey and red/gilded would work too. I think you already got a lot of brown. ;)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 02:42:29 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 10, 2019, 09:15:49 am »

There's bismuth bronze, but that's used fairly rarely.

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 10, 2019, 01:27:15 pm »

Tetrahedrite, Galena, Microcline, Granite and Marble. With clusters of Gems and Cryolite

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
Re: ≡Vettlingr's Tileset≡ 1.3 - Rough Edition. Updated 20/10
« Reply #155 on: October 20, 2019, 03:05:14 pm »

Vettlingr's Tileset has been updated as of 20/10

Vettlingr's Tileset has left alpha and is now updated to 1.3!

It has been a bumpy ride and late nights that have finally paid off with the latest update to my tileset! I have added probably the most complete geological visualisation to dwarf fortress yet. A project that really fleshes out (or rocks out) the very intricate geology of this grand simulation game.

The alpha version was previously unstable and would crash when loading twbt, this has been resolved, and was probably the biggest hurdle in giving you this update. Sadly it came at a cost. I have had to remove animating sprites, such as the still and furnace animation sprites. A small but significant price to pay for stability. The animation feature may return in the future, but as it is, it causes few and inconsistent crashes, but crashes non the less.

New feautures as of 20/10:

- Unique sprites for all gems
- New mushroom cap sprites
- Unique sprites for ALL Stones and Minerals as well as SLade and adamantine.
- Smooth Gem walls to go with rough gem walls
- Tweaks to glass walls and many, many, many other tweaks
- Malachite rough walls

Previously added new october features:
- Items on Pedestals will now display correctly
- new item sprites, though still many more to do

Future features:
- Unique sprites for all plants.
- Domestic animal sprites to kick off animal sprite overhaul.
- Mod support for my own mods, as well as requested mods.
- Guides for modders to copy my style.

Links
Download link can be found here
Forum link

If you like what I'm doing, consider donating on patreon. Coffee is always appericiated. I will add some patreon rewards after bouncing some ideas. I was thinking mod support, but also printing my sprites into compilations on photopaper. Already know of several people who would like it framed on their walls. As soon as I find the cost and workload, I'll get back to you.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 12:34:59 pm by vettlingr »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #156 on: October 20, 2019, 03:15:42 pm »

I created a monster.

Someone who does more unique sprites than I do. That can't be.

Love the way you use pixelart (the gem shading or rock cracks) on top of real(?) rock/gem textures. I hope you won't mind horribly if I actually do adapt that style; unique inorganics is one of the few things I haven't yet done for my tileset.

Edit: gem-top has a pixelerror, you copied a black line into the lower right by accident.
Edit2: Why does geology4 has the very hard black borders on the top, and then... skulls? And there is one 4x4 block with purple in it; while all the other colors were outsourced the _top files. 
Edit3: What are the raw changed you've done so far? Just tilenumbers?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 03:33:00 pm by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #157 on: October 20, 2019, 04:14:04 pm »

Whoah, that is impressive! Both in endeavor and in quality.
I suppose you are readying for the graphical premium release? Or is this something you would have done even with "only" the advances of TWBT?

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 20, 2019, 05:06:22 pm »

I created a monster.

Someone who does more unique sprites than I do. That can't be.

Love the way you use pixelart (the gem shading or rock cracks) on top of real(?) rock/gem textures. I hope you won't mind horribly if I actually do adapt that style; unique inorganics is one of the few things I haven't yet done for my tileset.

Edit: gem-top has a pixelerror, you copied a black line into the lower right by accident.
Edit2: Why does geology4 has the very hard black borders on the top, and then... skulls? And there is one 4x4 block with purple in it; while all the other colors were outsourced the _top files. 
Edit3: What are the raw changed you've done so far? Just tilenumbers?
A really big scary monster! Grraaoorr!
Thanks for your help! I don't think I could have done this without you!
I don't mind that at all. Just keep in mind that it+s hard to make the tiles seamless. Also I think I vastly over did it, I just like geology. heh.

Gem-top has had its pixel error fixed now.
Geology4 has nonspecific gem overrides at the top. The Skulls are slade. The purple is realgar, I just wanted to know how it appeared ingame.
Other than changing tile numbers, the only alteration I've done is giving Spore trees, Blood Thorn and Fungiwood leaves/conks/thorns I think. That and a lot of mineral colours.

I have come up with a lot of artistic tricks using the -top layer as you may have seen. Doing the geology also really gave me a new insight in using alpha layers to their fullest extent. It was hard to get my mind around at first, but I figured out a lot!

Whoah, that is impressive! Both in endeavor and in quality.
I suppose you are readying for the graphical premium release? Or is this something you would have done even with "only" the advances of TWBT?
I wonder that myself. It may be that the Premium release will be a downgrade in graphical limitations that I'll have to adapt to. But I hope that new features will weigh up enough to make the tileset modding environment even wider in terms of what I will be able to do. I am however starting to feel the limits of TWBT as I replace more and more sprites.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #159 on: October 20, 2019, 05:33:56 pm »

I don't think many people use alpha layers at all. The only tileset that I've seen making a lot of use of it is the old Ironhand I think. Would be quite helpful to upcoming tileset authors if you'd do a little tutorial. :)

I wonder that myself. It may be that the Premium release will be a downgrade in graphical limitations that I'll have to adapt to. But I hope that new features will weigh up enough to make the tileset modding environment even wider in terms of what I will be able to do. I am however starting to feel the limits of TWBT as I replace more and more sprites.
My best guess is that there will be some upgrades and some downgrades. Best case scenario would be Steam Df + TWBT without crashes when using animations + Rendermax.

Compound/Frankenstein sprites are probably the biggest upgrade. That allows to portray units with their actual equipment; hair colors, etc. We are still working on that.

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 20, 2019, 05:59:56 pm »

I don't think many people use alpha layers at all. The only tileset that I've seen making a lot of use of it is the old Ironhand I think. Would be quite helpful to upcoming tileset authors if you'd do a little tutorial. :)

My best guess is that there will be some upgrades and some downgrades. Best case scenario would be Steam Df + TWBT without crashes when using animations + Rendermax.

Compound/Frankenstein sprites are probably the biggest upgrade. That allows to portray units with their actual equipment; hair colors, etc. We are still working on that.
I look forward to cutting up my dwarf sprite sheet to add different noses. Also, will the female sprites be separate?

Im working on overriding water and magma at the moment, is there any tricky overrides I have to keep in mind?
So far, I think the tags are MagmaFlow, RiverEWSN/Ramp, Murky pool

MurkyPool, MurkyPoolRamp, OpenSpace, RampTop
RiverE, RiverN, RiverNE, RiverNW, RiverRampE, RiverRampN, RiverRampNE, RiverRampNW, RiverRampS, RiverRampSE, RiverRampSW, RiverRampW, RiverS, RiverSE, RiverSource, RiverSW, RiverW

Will OpenSpace work? I was thinking if you have depth numbers turned off. How do I make sure I override only Magma and not water? does magma have a certain material tag?
What about water? is it just :Water::? and Snow, is that also :Water::? hmm... ?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 06:03:10 pm by vettlingr »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #161 on: October 20, 2019, 06:25:30 pm »

Also, will the female sprites be separate?
That's planned, but not 100% sure yet. It wouldn't be strictly male vs female, but rather caste-specific sprites. That way your can do weird races; ant drones, soldiers, queens, etc. Different colorations on birds, fish or lizards depending on the gender...

Im working on overriding water and magma at the moment, is there any tricky overrides I have to keep in mind?
It can get a bit tricky, especially considering multilevel view (which technically shows open space, but also the liquid underneath, so the game can't distinguish magma from water or vice versa) I used overrides for water and magma mainly to give it animations, but since those crash the game... it's probably not worth it for your set. :/

Snow doesn't have a tiletype. It's still whatever the snow covers. Technically you can make overrides for it, but it will be quite hacky. Same goes for different miasmas, smoke, fire, etc.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 21, 2019, 03:44:28 am »

Regarding water/magma overrides, I initially used same tile but one having colours low on red, other low on blue, but that wasn't quite enough due brown/blue designations also matching 1-7 (though there is the option of GREEN designations, which is an interesting look) so eventually just patched twbt. Ex, snip from my overrides.txt:

And relevant bit in tileupdate_map.hpp is the fluid_tile, that treats the tiletype as made of water if it has fluid on it:
(also contains the "don't apply overrides on dig designations on hidden tiles" bit (because of blood on the walls), which you might not want so take care when pasting wholesale)

Wouldn't be hard to make a separate check for magma; the relevant bit is individual tile designation.liquid_type (false is water, true is magma), but I didn't need it on account of blue-red split of tile look.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 03:57:40 am by Fleeting Frames »

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 21, 2019, 05:14:38 am »

Just doing a basic spelling/grammar proof here, trying to find out why well-written posts like this end up w/mistakes that appear to be the result of inattention, phone writing, or inattention while phone writing, frex:

As soon as I find the cost and workload, I+ll get back to you.

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 22, 2019, 07:11:10 am »

Regarding water/magma overrides, I initially used same tile but one having colours low on red, other low on blue, but that wasn't quite enough due brown/blue designations also matching 1-7 (though there is the option of GREEN designations, which is an interesting look) so eventually just patched twbt. Ex, snip from my overrides.txt:

And relevant bit in tileupdate_map.hpp is the fluid_tile, that treats the tiletype as made of water if it has fluid on it:
(also contains the "don't apply overrides on dig designations on hidden tiles" bit (because of blood on the walls), which you might not want so take care when pasting wholesale)

Wouldn't be hard to make a separate check for magma; the relevant bit is individual tile designation.liquid_type (false is water, true is magma), but I didn't need it on account of blue-red split of tile look.

Certainly seems to be the right way to go. I+ve tried a lot of cheeky tricks so far, and it seems that nothing works how I would like without this update. However I need to keep this compatable with the starter packs to get any kind of reach.

I have several different keyboard settings which I have to switch between. This means that symbols aren't always where I expect them to be.
Just doing a basic spelling/grammar proof here, trying to find out why well-written posts like this end up w/mistakes that appear to be the result of inattention, phone writing, or inattention while phone writing, frex:

As soon as I find the cost and workload, I+ll get back to you.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 27