Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Regarding Dwarves, Which grouping fits you the best?

Small Nose Fan
Big Nose Enjoyer

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 27

Author Topic: ☼«☼Vettlingr's Tileset☼»☼ 32x 1.6-1 - OUTLINED Edition. Updated 3/7-22  (Read 264322 times)

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
Re: ≡Vettlingr's Tileset≡ 1.3.1b - Volcanic Edition. Updated 20/3
« Reply #240 on: April 05, 2020, 12:21:31 pm »

What's the [NO_STONE_STOCKPILE] do? The wiki page says, "Prevents the material from showing up in Stone stockpile settings.", but I'm not sure what effect this actually has.

Also, some of the PNG files look like they were compressed in the 1.3.1b update (e.g. domestic.png, goblins.png, mountain.png, next_underground.png, _items.png). I'm not sure if this is intentional.

What are the new "ROTS" and "STRUCTURAL_PLANT_MAT" parts for in the overrides.txt?
[NO_STONE_STOCKPILE] Is a material flag used by glazes that makes them not show up under stone in stockpile settings.
I use it as a dummy material flag for sand to assign graphics to them without causing crashes on linux.

Some of the image files are compressed, i.e. lowered the ammount of unique colors they use.
This is a remnant from a great crash fix binge where I pretty much tried everything to reduce crashes on startup.
The Material flag fix turned out to be the right fix for the problem in the end. I have yet to see if the image size has anything to do with stability at all.

ROTS and STRUCTURAL_PLANT_MAT are two material flags shared by mostly all plants. While all plant graphics have the flag ROTS, there are a few that do not have STRUCTURAL_PLANT_MAT. Material tokens without material flags cause erroneous memory use when loading TWBT, that is all I know.

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
Re: ≡Vettlingr's Tileset≡ 1.3.1b - Volcanic Edition. Updated 20/3
« Reply #241 on: April 09, 2020, 03:59:38 pm »

Vettlingr 1.4 New additions:
- Floors!
- Mine tracks!
- Natural and Constructed Ramps!
- Wooden and Metal Barrels!
- Cages!
- Wooden Logs, Boulders and Driftwood
- Metal Chains.
- Limonite, Garnierite, Cassiterite.
- Waterwheels, Windmills and Spike traps.
- Ballistae and Catapults.
- Stairs!
- Books, Scrolls, Papers, rollers, bindings, Ladders, Hives.
- Ash and Fire!

I've updated the sprite sheets on the first page to show new stuff
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 06:33:15 pm by vettlingr »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ≡Vettlingr's Tileset≡ 1.4a - Floored Edition. Updated 9/4
« Reply #242 on: April 09, 2020, 09:28:46 pm »

I noticed a new subterranean creature graphics PNG in v1.4 but not corresponding definitions TXT file for it.

I'm curious about the color change of Midnight Blue in descriptor_color_standard.

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
Re: ≡Vettlingr's Tileset≡ 1.4a - Floored Edition. Updated 9/4
« Reply #243 on: April 09, 2020, 10:20:39 pm »

I noticed a new subterranean creature graphics PNG in v1.4 but not corresponding definitions TXT file for it.

I'm curious about the color change of Midnight Blue in descriptor_color_standard.
The subterranean creature graphics is already covered by Vettlingr/next_underground.png
It must have slunk in when I updated the animal textures burrowed from other sets, (mephs mostly)

The change to Midnight blue is due to how DF assigns these colours. Since none of the blues are dark enough, it chooses dark magenta.
> hence midnight blue is now more blue

As seen in clothing in this screencap
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I may decide to revert this change whenever I finish deciding on a colour profile, as it is now, magenta colours are probably not very preferable above purple.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 12:34:30 am by vettlingr »

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: ≡Vettlingr's Tileset≡ 32x 1.4a - Floored Edition. Updated 9/4
« Reply #244 on: April 10, 2020, 02:05:37 pm »

How do your new up ramps work when not using multi-z-level view? Do down ramps still look like the old down-ward facing triangles?

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 10, 2020, 02:16:09 pm »

How do your new up ramps work when not using multi-z-level view? Do down ramps still look like the old down-ward facing triangles?
Yeah, that is exactly the case. I was thinking about doing the inverse, but it didn't make as much sense and looked weird.

I came up with four different solutions
1. down arrow as is.
2. Inverse up ramp.
3. Simulated Muli-z-view ramp.
4. A combination of 1 and 2 or 1 and 3

In the end, I better wait for steam release before I settle on a permanent solution anyway.

Also, thanks for giving me the design and idea for the ramps!!

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 10, 2020, 03:23:42 pm »

Eh, I can hardly take credit for the pyramid :)

I think I even prefer the old simple up-triangles as long as its the same symbol for every ramp.

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 10, 2020, 04:59:30 pm »

Eh, I can hardly take credit for the pyramid :)

I think I even prefer the old simple up-triangles as long as its the same symbol for every ramp.
I actually considered using both the up arrow and the pyramid combined.
The pyramid shape makes for nice mushroom caps though

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 10, 2020, 05:20:17 pm »

Ooh, that is pretty!

I finally figured out what tileset your work reminds me of. Yours is better still, of course-- more detailed, and more readable to boot! :)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 05:22:42 pm by Superdorf »
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 10, 2020, 05:49:09 pm »

Ooh, that is pretty!

I finally figured out what tileset your work reminds me of. Yours is better still, of course-- more detailed, and more readable to boot! :)
Wooaah, I can't compare to Stained Glass! It is one of my favourite sets!
Not for readability, but such loyalty to design and pattern is fantastic!

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 14, 2020, 05:30:14 am »

Reddit Post

Vettlingr 1.4 features
- Floors!
- Mine tracks!
- Natural and Constructed Ramps!
- Wooden and Metal Barrels!
- Cages!
- Wooden Logs, Boulders and Driftwood
- Metal Chains.
- Limonite, Garnierite, Cassiterite.
- Waterwheels, Windmills and Spike traps.
- Ballistae and Catapults.
- Stairs!
- Books, Scrolls, Papers, rollers, bindings, Ladders, Hives.
- Ash and Fire!

I've been tinkering with a lot of small thinks such as shaders, top layer normalizers and alike, so the progress with adding further content has been slow.
In the advent of the steam release I have decided not to freshen up the creature sprites as well. Most updates after this one will be buildings and items mostly.
The item sprite sheets thus far is still a mess. I ported some from a previous package and have slowly been retouching and replacing them, with no end in sight.
Also on my list is unique sprites for different materials, such as Copper/Bronze, adamantine and Gold/Silver. As well as variable sprites for floor hatches and wheelbarrows. Furthermore, a lot of plants need their own sprites, which is a prospect i do not look forward to doing, even though some of the groundwork is already there, though unused. Check to _Trees sheet for reference.

Furthermore, the procedurally generated civ positions for humans need a little looking up, and maybe the master position for goblins, the latter being probably too convoluted to make a sprite for.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 04:29:01 am by vettlingr »

MoltenIdol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 17, 2020, 10:09:09 am »

I'm totally digging this, it reminds me of pixel art from oldschool games, with a touch of Nordic mythology, but more dark, grimy and gothic. A bit like dungeon keeper, mixed with heroes of might and magic + throw in some old sweedish books depicting trolls. This is some art. And I cant wait to see what you do with all the tools the steam release might bring.

The main thing I want to point out tho, are the kobolds. Theyre good as far as size, and your choice of color is also looking right.
But (theres always a but), I personally think, compared to a lot of the other creature sprites, their faces don't look serious/gothic/dystopic? enough. I think its the snout that bothers me. Too round. Not gnarly enough, like the goblin/dwarf noses etc.
If it could be a bit slimmer and longer, more like a malnourished hyena/rat kind of thing, they would be the perfect NOT cutebold. (I hate cutebolds. Theyre not supposed to be cute. Theyre nasty, fierce looking, babyeating rathounds of the night. Deal with it)

As they are, they look more like they go: "mwehehehehe, im scheming cuz im evil" in a "villanous-rubbing-your-hands" kind of way, instead of just being animalistic, ragged, creepy and driven by instinct, with little idea of good or bad, right or wrong.

The reason I mention this is because, I actually love kobolds, and i want them to look dangerous, feral and wild.
Not that yours look silly, but they could look more.. slim faced? Cunning? Sort of like a rat, mixed with the eerie laughing fierceness of a hyena. More "feral" than "evil". More "creepy" than "relateable cute villain".
I think the kobolds of Warcraft 3 almost hits that spot for me, if you could mix them up with something a bit darker, like skavens from the Warhammer Fantasy universe, since kobolds in DF, are not as big as Warcraft 3 kobolds, and are generally giving off a more cunning/sneaky rat-like vibe (mixed with the tribal stuff).
That would be extra neat! And fit the generally 'serious/imperfect/gritty/dark/(grownup)/etc.' fantasy tone of the tileset.

You could also put a bit more emphasis on their legs having more of a curvature, to represent their canine like legs.
You could give them more of a hunch back too, and some might be snarling, showing teeth.
Maybe give them some unique facial hairstyles, not always full beard (tho sometimes would be cool), but more like the Huns, or some other kind of asian inspired (but more rough and unkempt) mystical hairdoos.
But its mostly their snout.

Im just shooting here, it all looks great, really.

PS: Did you make Orks yet? Im a big fan of Orks as well, they have such opportunity of being a unique looking culture, something inspired. I really love Games Workshops take on Orks as a whole, not only visually, but also their lore/culture. While I love the more tribal races, Orks are still more on the civilized side than kobolds.
Its a shame that both kobolds and Orks are so rare. They should be a more commonly encountered, and more integrated race, both in terms of lurking danger, and culture in the world.

I want to take a walk in the woods with my adventurerer, and be on guard because of the feral kobolds skulking the woods for a hurt and isolated adventurer, or stalking a lonesome caravan, travelling with shiny goods.
And the Ork slavers, pillaging nearby villages for cheap labor and loot, and trading it to other civilizations for coin.
Or a group of wild elves, eyeing you for trespassing on their sacred burial grounds, silently aiming at your chest with a poison tipped arrow, from the deep cover of the underbrush.

Last thing: The elves are pretty cool, I totally get your vibe here, the gothic setting, lots of fierce beauty. But I have to say, I see them more as a tribal style race as well, as in their clothing, and such. I cant recall if they're supposed to look like beautiful humans with long ears, or if they have some more distinctive features.
They eat humanoid corpses right?
It would be awesome to see them have some animal like features, like their nose being more fused with their mouth, their body pose being more "sprinting-through-the-forest-on-a-daily-basis-like", and their eyes being more oval or something. Also, more gender neutral, wearing less clothes, maybe showing some carved symbols on their skin + having male sprites, while still retaining the feral and athletic beauty.

Maybe not. I sincerely do like your gothic style take on it, but i would love to see them go more feral.

Thats my 25 cents. Great work, you're really creating a visual style, that i think fits the vibe of Dwarf Fortress, as i envision it.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 03:33:42 pm by MoltenIdol »

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 19, 2020, 08:13:29 am »

@MoltenIdol: I love your feedback! It is great to read such well thought out pointers.
You are way late (or early) in providing it though, since I won't work on civ graphics until the steam release, where they will be revamped anyhow.
I do agree with you on most if not all pointers. When designing the kobold, I tried to do a compromise with the cutebold people since I didn't know which direction to go.
The Shaggy Snarlbold was one of my earliest concepts, but I scrapped it since I thought that most people that played with mods such as Kobold Kamp, prefer Cutebolds, but maybe I'm wrong.

By memory I think my Concepts were:

1. Snarlbold, think Gnoll from Wow but slimmer
2. Shrewbold, Shaggy with a horror-rat like shrew snout. Did not turn out very well in sprite, but look at ratman in the Underground sprite sheet, it uses some of the graphics.
3. Dragonbold, Scaly lizard kobold
4. Dogbold, aka Cowbold, this is the one I ended up using. mostly because it was a compromise between the above, but also because it should look new, but still similar to how most people on here depict them.

Orks
I'm not a fan of Green races. Orcs are way more scary when pallid or pale. I always thought greenskins fit more in candy land than a fantasy settings, because they are always too green.
Not sure how to depict the Orcs though, I love the GW design more than tolkien or WoW, since they get the inhuman wild attribute right. But I want everything to fit in an anglo-saxon/nordic Trollish setting, Not sure how the Orcs fit in there, since it is high medieval or latin dark ages in origin (Orcus). Anglisized to Orc, Orcneas, ogre. Closest non-loan is perhaps örkn, which means seal, from orca? I have been working on a Nordic Mythology mod on the side, and deciding what to include and what to leave out is sometimes very hard.

Good Races:
Vanilla: Dwarf, Elf, Human

Maybe Add:
Wood Gnomes, Actually Nice Trolls

Evil Races
Jötun/Ettin, Þurs/thyrs, Troll, Wight

Kobold and Goblin are probably both from Kóf(v)aldur/Kóf(h)oldur, meaning Shack-Guardian or Shack-holder

Elves.
I do have plans to make Evil Elves.
The current elf design is from before this became a tileset, where the direction was not esspecially clear. I based them on the German Opera Valkyrie if that makes sense.
I like the Armoured Maiden of Death better though, like the beautiful spirits who abduct men in the forest, to imprison them, drown them or eat them or even marry them by chaining their sanity.
I do not like having Good or Evil races, it is better to have them fearsome but respected. Although in the Norse mythology mod I was working on, elves were split in "good" Elves and "evil" wights, who both were semi-ghostly humanoids who died in a puff of smoked and left behind bars of Ectoplasm instead of a corpse, which is used to make Vanadium, it was all very convoluted. But Wights were the dark elves Whom do not trade. God I love that mod. I may release it one day.

I think by making races more monstrous that it subtracts from their ferocity and horror-factor. You kind of end up in the gothic horror soup without any relatable actors. I.e. When all faces are distorted into this nightmarish goop, the real nightmares become mundane and the line gets blurred. Scandinavian folklore is full of stories of dangerous beauty, not unlike that of the greek sirens, which often ends in Terrible truths though, wether the true face of the night creatures are more horrible than what persuaded them to follow.

MoltenIdol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 19, 2020, 08:21:52 pm »

Snarlbold sounds nice, shaggy is all the better. I really doubt kobolds would be "cute" if you met them in the forest anyway. Maybe not evil, but definitely not cute either. Maybe you could make an alternate sheet for Not cutebold lovers. And i understand why you would wait for the steam release to do that.

I particularly love the GW orks for their colorfulness in an otherwise fairly bleak, brown and muddy dark ages like existence. Even though theyre a barbaric race, they care about decoration an colorful buildings and armor, an that screaming red/orange/some other wild color, combined with their green skin and big jaws and teeth, give them that unique look i like. Especially in the early 80's art of the orcs. Cant exactly point out why i like it so much, but they have something unique.

Regarding the elves, i dont necessarily mean evil, just more animal. But its a whole other vibe. I would like them like that, since i feel like thats the way they act in df. I would just like to see you do it because i like your style. They could still easily be beautiful and feral looking at the same time. thats what i would have them be.
I get your point, knowing that they eat the corpses of their prey, those beautiful beings do get an extra layer of scary, just by being attractive, and looking human enough for you to not feel alienated by it, but still some mystical features, playing and betraying all your instincts.

Please do not compromise with your art, by all means, make it look as twisted, gnarled and characteristic as you can. Get that wholesomeness.
PS: I really like the unicorn i guess it is?
For its darkness.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 08:32:07 pm by MoltenIdol »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 20, 2020, 04:44:29 am »

if there's concept art, i'm curious to see.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 27