Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Regarding Dwarves, Which grouping fits you the best?

Small Nose Fan
Big Nose Enjoyer

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 27

Author Topic: ☼«☼Vettlingr's Tileset☼»☼ 32x 1.6-1 - OUTLINED Edition. Updated 3/7-22  (Read 264344 times)

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Ţjóđalfur
    • View Profile
Re: ≡Vettlingr's Tileset≡ 32x 1.4a - Floored Edition. Updated 9/4
« Reply #255 on: April 20, 2020, 10:41:20 am »

if there's concept art, i'm curious to see.
I did them a long time ago now, and have no idea where they are. I'll probably remake them some day soon.

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Ţjóđalfur
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 22, 2020, 10:09:46 am »

Before I went on the tangent to make this pretty extensive tileset; I had several mods in mind, not to completely change the setting of Dwarf fortress, but rather add to the gameplay core of dwarf fortress, but expanding upon the low fantasy aspects of DF with some more authentic European (or North Atlantic) folklore. I am not sure if I was going to go ahead basing it on a modest/reduced mod, but the initial approach was to reduce the ammount of different plants, trees, animals, clothes included in DF to lay groundwork for more unique content. There is really no need to have 10 different spider monkeys or 20 different amaranths if the regular person do not care for the difference. Furthermore, the preference system in DF doesn't really allow for much variation (sad but true). So first my first deeds where removing most if not all historically non-eurasian animals, plants and so on. All this to make room for new systems, industries etc.

I worked on a geology overhaul aswell, since I'm actually one of them Geologists. Geology in DF is extensive, but very weird. deformed layers above nondeformed etc. Gems and Ore in weird localities, Ruby in bauxite etc. Plagioclase/microcline in high pressure environments and a lot more. Most problems are only fixable with a geology rewrite or a dfhack script like 3dveins. Also, tetrahedrite isn't really a major thing. Ultimately, where are the mafic dikes, hydrothermal, contact deposits, sills, eclogites, migmatites and so forth?

It is weird how olivine comes in large clusters when it is mostly part of the upper mantle as dunite and intrusions like that is very rarely pure olivine, since pure olivine require a huge degree of partial melting. Pure Olivine would imply crystal fractionation of other minerals during crystallization in any case.

I'll continue the rant in next post, stay tuned.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 22, 2020, 11:27:59 am »

Orks
I'm not a fan of Green races. Orcs are way more scary when pallid or pale. I always thought greenskins fit more in candy land than a fantasy settings, because they are always too green.
Not sure how to depict the Orcs though, I love the GW design more than tolkien or WoW, since they get the inhuman wild attribute right. But I want everything to fit in an anglo-saxon/nordic Trollish setting, Not sure how the Orcs fit in there, since it is high medieval or latin dark ages in origin (Orcus). Anglisized to Orc, Orcneas, ogre. Closest non-loan is perhaps örkn, which means seal, from orca? I have been working on a Nordic Mythology mod on the side, and deciding what to include and what to leave out is sometimes very hard.

One possible way to go about it is to refer to the Norsemen's perception of other peoples. One passage I particularly like in that regard is an alleged description of some island near the cost of North America, which, as Norsemen were led to believe, was inhabited by some kind of super-Irish:

"They said, moreover, that there was a land on the other side over against their land, and the people there were dressed in white garments, uttered loud cries, bore long poles, and wore fringes. This was supposed to be Hvitramannaland (White Man's Land)."

Adding to the uneasy perception was the Irish tradition of "head-hunting" - taking enemy heads as trophies and carrying them as proof of their deeds.

So, if straying from mythological canon into something more apocryphal does not conflict with your vision, Orcs could be portrayed as pale, light-haired (or of screaming unnatural colors) and ferocious almost-humans, dressed in pure white, fringed clothing and carrying trophy skulls and waxed heads of their foes as decoration.

These are Gauls, but the mood and the trophies are on point.

Just my 2☼.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 11:39:32 am by Sver »
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Ţjóđalfur
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 22, 2020, 01:08:02 pm »

Orks
I'm not a fan of Green races. Orcs are way more scary when pallid or pale. I always thought greenskins fit more in candy land than a fantasy settings, because they are always too green.
Not sure how to depict the Orcs though, I love the GW design more than tolkien or WoW, since they get the inhuman wild attribute right. But I want everything to fit in an anglo-saxon/nordic Trollish setting, Not sure how the Orcs fit in there, since it is high medieval or latin dark ages in origin (Orcus). Anglisized to Orc, Orcneas, ogre. Closest non-loan is perhaps örkn, which means seal, from orca? I have been working on a Nordic Mythology mod on the side, and deciding what to include and what to leave out is sometimes very hard.

One possible way to go about it is to refer to the Norsemen's perception of other peoples. One passage I particularly like in that regard is an alleged description of some island near the cost of North America, which, as Norsemen were led to believe, was inhabited by some kind of super-Irish:

"They said, moreover, that there was a land on the other side over against their land, and the people there were dressed in white garments, uttered loud cries, bore long poles, and wore fringes. This was supposed to be Hvitramannaland (White Man's Land)."

Adding to the uneasy perception was the Irish tradition of "head-hunting" - taking enemy heads as trophies and carrying them as proof of their deeds.

So, if straying from mythological canon into something more apocryphal does not conflict your vision, Orcs could be portrayed as pale, light-haired (or of screaming unnatural colors) and ferocious almost-humans, dressed in pure white, fringed clothing and carrying trophy skulls and waxed heads of their foes as decoration.

These are Gauls, but the mood and the trophies are on point.

Just my 2☼.
I know of White Ireland, it is a weird thing, there were a lot of irish hermit settlers in the north sea that predated scandinavian expansion, they were called "papar" and it is unknown how far they travelled.
Though it was comonplace for Icelanders to refer to any language they did not understand as "irish", the stories of people travelling to Hvítramannaland or White Ireland, is probably people lost at sea, ending up as far away as North America. Most of the north american Norse accounts have been confirmed, but the problem still resides that even the norse explorers believed in Cryptic things, which skews their account, but it is still how they perceived it.

When it comes to culture of monstrous "races" some sagas often equate them to finns or sami people, such as ketill saga hćngs, or Hrafnista/hrafnunga saga. In return, in finnish folklore, their "trolls" are often equated with scandinavian settlers, which is a fun exchange. Wether then Huns were equated the finns as well is a whole nother tangent however. Though many of these sagas are icelandic in origin, and hence finns and sami has a more mythic status due to isolation, mainland sources more often regard finns as some sort of aboriginal forefathers that have possession over the elements or can turn into beasts and curse at will. They are however regarded more realistic by norse people dealing directly with them, such as the wars with the kćnir and the kylfings with the swedes.

The Orc is a very difficult creature to fit into Norse Mythology exclusively, I do like the hunnic culture applied to them though. Huns are probably the go to culture for most "barbaric" races. A more fun thing would maybe be making the Orcs into evil romans, but I think that would turn out ridiculous.

Gaelic and Irish folklore have some interesting characters as well, such as fir bolg and fomorians, if I were to mix it, they would be more applicable to a gaulish culture/aesthetic.

We'll see, I really think norse mythology has been really watered down lately. If you combine all the strings of folklore, you get a very different more down to earth mythology than I think popular culture shows.

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Ţjóđalfur
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 22, 2020, 01:42:25 pm »

Elves v.2 (for steam release.) WIP

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 22, 2020, 01:54:55 pm »

Hurra for norrřne alver!

So are those following the paper doll model where they're assembled from various parts? Hair, clothing, etc, instead of being whole sprites?

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Ţjóđalfur
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 22, 2020, 02:07:01 pm »

Hurra for norrřne alver!

So are those following the paper doll model where they're assembled from various parts? Hair, clothing, etc, instead of being whole sprites?
Húrra húrra!
That is the case yeah. I usually organize my gfx files like that anyway, but now there is more point in doing so. I'm really wondering if I should keep the compact 32x32 style I have going on, i.e. make one part of the body oversized or more defined as is commonplace when making small low-pixel characters. Anyway, I wasn't very happy with the elves I first made, since that is why I'm going to remake them for steam release. I have learned a lot underway, so it is not going to be so time consuming to compile a sprite sheet.
And It seems that I do not have to do as extensive work, since the sprites will reflect what they are actually wearing instead of what job they have. Not sure I'm such a fan of that however, but what can you do...

Somehow, I like the extremely unnaturally pale complection best, maybe with tints of green or purple rather than fleshy colours, same with the hair. You get a more Spooky vibe that way that I associate with wights and elves (which are essentially the same thing).
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 02:17:17 pm by vettlingr »

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 22, 2020, 02:30:01 pm »

I like that too! It has an unseelie sídhe look which I've always been a fan of.

I guess in the steam version we're potentially going to have skin and hair color reflect the actual values though.

As for clothes vs. profession, I think it's too early to say. For example right now I basically use Dwarf Therapist for all profession related things so it doesn't really matter what they look like in game. Who knows what the interface will ultimately end up being. They could do things like small icons to indicate professions, or colored outlines, etc.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 22, 2020, 02:39:05 pm »

The male and female elf have identical* faces, and it's creeping me out something fierce...
...'course, maybe that's intentional!

*Masculine?
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Ţjóđalfur
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 22, 2020, 02:43:04 pm »

The male and female elf have identical* faces, and it's creeping me out something fierce...
...'course, maybe that's intentional!

*Masculine?
The male has more shading, it's a slight variation though noticable. I guess it is intentional. It is hard to get face just right, especially female faces since they have to be both round and smooth, but not too round xD. I usually polish the faces for several hours until I'm done

I usually add non changing color last, since it has to be applied after slight variation

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Just a concept I found in my notebook, not really the ultimate concept I wanted to go with, but you can see my scruffy style.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 03:45:47 pm by vettlingr »

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 22, 2020, 04:15:04 pm »

Throwing this in for a possible inspiration as well (warning: a picture of an almost naked dude)
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Ţjóđalfur
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 22, 2020, 05:00:20 pm »

A very germanesc Märchen elf that one. Gives me the creeps. Elves without hair would look a bit similar to this, I haven't gotten the ear right yet so I wont show it just yet.

Did some color tryouts, I think I like it so far.

They don't really have these skin colors in the raws though.

It's pretty easy to apply normal colors though.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 05:39:49 pm by vettlingr »

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 22, 2020, 06:03:50 pm »

Those remind me of the svartálfar and ljósálfar obviously originally from norse mythology, but I'm reminded specificially of Kael's excellent Civ4 mod FFH2:

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Ţjóđalfur
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 22, 2020, 06:40:09 pm »

Those remind me of the svartálfar and ljósálfar obviously originally from norse mythology, but I'm reminded specificially of Kael's excellent Civ4 mod FFH2:

The irony is that Svartálfar in norse myhology are dwarves though haha.

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 22, 2020, 09:13:15 pm »

I've never been clear on the distinction if any between svartálfar, dökkálfar and mörkálfar. Black/dark/dark?

And yeah, while FFH2 uses norse names, thematically they're definitely Seelie and Unseelie court
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 27