Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Regarding Dwarves, Which grouping fits you the best?

Small Nose Fan
Big Nose Enjoyer

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 27

Author Topic: ☼«☼Vettlingr's Tileset☼»☼ 32x 1.6-1 - OUTLINED Edition. Updated 3/7-22  (Read 268072 times)

MoltenIdol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ≡Vettlingr's Tileset≡ 32x 1.4a - Floored Edition. Updated 9/4
« Reply #270 on: April 23, 2020, 09:16:20 am »

Really digging the new look of the elves, especially the male one, he has a good face.

The worst thing an elf can look like, is robin hood. So props to you for NOT doing that ;)

The darker style fits them well.
Pale is good.
"... and they live in deep misty forrests, the sunshine, never penetrating the treetops, never carresing their pale skin. They will hunt you in the moonless night, with a poisoned arrow they will put you to rest, and they shall relish their prey, and feast upon the flesh. Some say, they devour the very souls of men".
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 09:53:16 am by MoltenIdol »

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 23, 2020, 12:40:35 pm »

Really digging the new look of the elves, especially the male one, he has a good face.

The worst thing an elf can look like, is robin hood. So props to you for NOT doing that ;)

The darker style fits them well.
Pale is good.
"... and they live in deep misty forrests, the sunshine, never penetrating the treetops, never carresing their pale skin. They will hunt you in the moonless night, with a poisoned arrow they will put you to rest, and they shall relish their prey, and feast upon the flesh. Some say, they devour the very souls of men".
I like the Nocturnal hunter-cannibal much better than the green hippie animal friend. Even if you split the elves in sæll and ósæll, or seelie (w/e) I think it is just as bad to make one side too good as the other too evil.

MoltenIdol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 23, 2020, 03:05:27 pm »

Agreed. One-sided is always quite boring.

Also, the elves with the blue clothes, grey hair and pale skin looks best. The whole wight thing really suits them.

It reminds me of Danish folklore, Where the beautiful elves live in the barrows, tempting the travelers in the night, to join them at their feast underground. An invitation to eat, dance and laugh all night, in the Beautiful underground elven dining halls, sorrounded by halfnaked, beautiful, pale people of the witching hour.

"First they would be served exquisite food, and then the Beautiful elven girls, would Invite the traveling guest up to dance. How could he say no? They danced and laughed for hours, maybe days. As the travelers legs got weary from all the dancing, he would try to Tell the Beautiful elven girls that he needed to sit down and rest his feet, but to his terror, only laughter escaped his lips.  His body would not stop dancing, and soon he could not Even feel the pain in his legs anymore, and he would give in to the seemingly endless dance. He lost track of time, his Will, lost to laughter and  beauty. The dance went on and on, and he had long ago stopped minding the pain stemming from his feet. He could not stop looking at the pretty faces, and laughed in unison with them, the dance was just so wonderful. Aeons passed. Eternity had spun around him. Everything was perfect, yet, it was not.
He suddenly remmembered who he was, and he screamed inside his mind, to be released from this spell, all the while laughing and smiling. Pure terror engulfed him like a dark ocean. They elves laughed back.
The next time the traveler looked down at his legs,  there was Nothing but bloody stumps."

Reckt.

Makes me actually want to play as an elf! Blasphemous!
In those stories, elves a portrayed as sexy as hell, pale, almost luminescent, wearing white cloth, barely covering any skin. Possibly almost seeming to float, or simply being so lightweight that they barely need to touch the ground.
Kinda like a wight.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 04:47:46 pm by MoltenIdol »

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 23, 2020, 04:22:47 pm »

There are a lot of paradigms other than good-evil you can play with.

Order vs. chaos

Passion vs. cold calculation

Hunter vs. Defender of the Herd

I always pictured DF elves as being like a rainforest head-hunter tribe.

The concept I've always gone to is from that old MMO Mortal Online: (very slightly nsfw)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 04:27:07 pm by Rekov »

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 23, 2020, 04:55:08 pm »

It is not a coincidence that I imagine elves as luminescent and almost incorporeal pale beings.

There is swedish folklore explaining the origin of the supernatural creatures, in that they are unwanted children from the heavens, which were thrown down to earth. Those that fell in lakes and marshes became elves, those that fell into the cliffs became dwarves, trolls, forests became "rå", and so on. Last i read it was in a book called "Wärend och Wirdarne". The subject matter is not so important moreover that the environment somehow defines which spirit it is.

Wight is a different think, while in modern english it is ghost, it just means "Supernatural creature" really, meaning that elves are wights, but not all wights are elves. For example, loki is called rök vættir in Lokasenna, meaning "bad spirit". Certainly he is the father of some Wights and all trolls, but that doesn't come forth in but one stansa.

I love Danish folklore, and it has a lot of parallels in both Swedish and Norwegian, with the same archetype stories cropping up there as well. Faroese Mythology is very interesting too.
Icelandic folklore is a lot about giving up something to get something in return with spirits, but we also have the elf story/song about Ólaf who is going to his wedding but get shanked by an elf who wants him to dance with them.

The reason we have elves as they are now, is that early folklore studies often classified supernatural beings as dead ancestors and parts of a greater ancestor cult, in order to tie it to mythology. While later on they were more tied to dream phenomenon, hallucination and that one thing where the brain likes to see faces where there are none. Tolkien and other fantasy authors probalby had the ancestor theory in mind when creating these elves, but unwittingly diverged a lot from folklore in doing so. It doesn't help that elf is often a kenning for áss/óss either.

There are a lot of paradigms other than good-evil you can play with.
Order vs. chaos
Passion vs. cold calculation
Hunter vs. Defender of the Herd
I always pictured DF elves as being like a rainforest head-hunter tribe.
The concept I've always gone to is from that old MMO Mortal Online: (very slightly nsfw)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I think Control vs. Allure is a good 'un
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 05:54:25 pm by vettlingr »

MoltenIdol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 25, 2020, 07:08:51 pm »

I also imagine them as a pretty tribal race, tho the wight thing fits the tileset better. Why not both ;P ?

I dont really think Control vs Allure has the same qualities as Control vs Chaos.

Control doesnt really exclude Allure, theyre not really opposites of each other. They could actually be said to walk hand in hand, as you "control" someone when you allure them.

Order vs. chaos                                    \
                                                            \
Passion vs. cold calculation                       --->  Theyre all Yin & Yang, opposites, two sides etc.
                                                            /
Hunter vs. Defender of the Herd            / 

So Im not really sure what you mean by Control vs Allure. It doesnt really fit the pattern or context, or maybe Im just not getting it?

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 25, 2020, 07:31:14 pm »

It is a great philosophical question really.
I think MTG made an elf society around the concept of beuty in the edition Lorwyn/Shadowmoor awhile back, where their powerstructure is based around being handsome, all else are eyeblights. It is a good concept, but not exactly what I'm looking for

Control is the active possession of someone through power.
Allure is the active possession of someone through persuasion.

It gets less yin-yangy, and some systems today exert power through either one.
I believe that you have to choose a few, a little vague, factors like these to define a culture rather than making them polar opposites.
So you have:
Control & allure instead of Power vs Freedom
Ideal vs lie instead of truth vs falsehood

and so forth. Somehow these polarities are so extreme that they get unrealistic.
Your worst enemy is still the one that is most like you, though little different. Ex. Swedes and danes, Fotball supporter A vs b, french and english.

Though that is just what I think.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 25, 2020, 08:50:46 pm »

I really like this idea. Somehow both "They're violent tyrants!" and "They're lying scumbags!" just roll of the tongue  :P  And both statements are true, although absolved of nuance. This isn't a theme that is explored enough in modern fiction, I think, where it's either all very contrasting and polarized or very down-to-earth realistic with no room for broad allegory.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

KassaK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 10, 2020, 09:34:28 am »

Hey,

I'm playing with your tileset, and it's very nice ;)

I always played with Meph Tileset but with yours DF looks like a new game :p

Good work continue like that !

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 13, 2020, 12:55:34 pm »

This is just a minor suggestion for your tileset:

Make obsidian black. It's very weird that it shows up as mostly red.

CollectiveS

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 14, 2020, 08:43:46 am »

Hi, fantastic lookng pack!

Is this still available for download? I've been trying to get it but all of the download links give me a 404 file not found error, is it still hosted here?

Any information would be appreciated :)

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 14, 2020, 09:17:52 pm »

It's included with the Windows PeridexisErrant Starter Pack, which is mirrored here. Scroll to the bottom for the newest one!
Team Bug Fix!

Gabriel A. Zorrilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://zorrilla.me
« Reply #282 on: June 15, 2020, 01:32:33 pm »

Hey there. Where can I download just the tileset for manual installation? Linux user here, took a couple of years off DF :P

Thanks.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 15, 2020, 06:38:34 pm »

That's what the 'complicated install' is here http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14072

If that link doesn't work (it's working for me) there is https://github.com/DFgraphics/Vettlingr/releases , though it makes some minor changes, see https://github.com/DFgraphics/Vettlingr

Edit: there also a Linux pack that includes this tileset http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=157712
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 06:44:51 pm by Ziusudra »
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Gabriel A. Zorrilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://zorrilla.me
« Reply #284 on: June 15, 2020, 07:02:58 pm »

Thanks!
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 27