Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Regarding Dwarves, Which grouping fits you the best?

Small Nose Fan
Big Nose Enjoyer

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27

Author Topic: ☼«☼Vettlingr's Tileset☼»☼ 32x 1.6-1 - OUTLINED Edition. Updated 3/7-22  (Read 264308 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Vettlingr's Dwarves v1.0 32x32, 24x24.
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2018, 04:48:54 pm »

Size is not related to dfhack, you can make 32x or 128x for all that DF cares. No need for TWBT.

Splint, I just tried out a 64 set, using "twbt tileset 64 64". It's far too large, I get a grand total of 24,5 tiles width. You can't play with that.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2018, 09:43:02 pm »

Done some goblin warriors. Not sure if they are going to be masters or not. I may do another set with less ornate spiky armor, but I like the feel of these. I may realign the shield as well.

DwarfMines

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2018, 08:04:47 pm »

Great, now I can't decide if I like this or Vordak's set the best.

Dahrk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2018, 04:15:07 am »

Done some goblin warriors. Not sure if they are going to be masters or not. I may do another set with less ornate spiky armor, but I like the feel of these. I may realign the shield as well.

These look great, I love the level of variety that you've packed into them!

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
Re: Vettlingr's Dwarves, Elves and Goblins v1.1 32x32, 24x24.
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2018, 10:23:58 am »

I've Updated this to 1.1, adding Goblins, Dwarven adventurers and Elves.

Spoiler: Dwarves Adventurers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Elves (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Goblins (click to show/hide)

There are still things to do before I start on the humans and the kobolds. Such as the missing Goblin position sprites. And perhaps Elf and Goblin adventurers. Furthermore, sprites for Trolls, Ogres and Beak dogs are also on the list.

I've been making progress on a tileset as well.

I may post it once Im happy with it, and there is an interest in it.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:12:05 am by vettlingr »

VislarRn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2018, 10:58:24 am »

-claps non sarcastically-

This is the best thing I have seen for a while.
I look at those details and see everything fitting together in style.

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2018, 11:49:48 am »

Any ideas for Elf and Goblin adventurer sprites?

Such as Military professions, but also bard, dancer and poet.

For the elf I was thinking something akin to the dwarf adventurer, with an intricate face mask. Swanfeathers?

Goblin Adventurer is different. Might go for a grisly face mask here to, but im having trouble with the colors, I want to go away from the dark gritty metal, but not make them too shiny either. This barrs adding gold, or does it?

EDIT: made 2 sprites for beak dog and troll. Pretty happy with the result.

Tried to keep the beak dog pallid and disgusting even though it has a lot of color. I think I made it.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 04:25:38 pm by vettlingr »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2018, 01:24:56 am »

I notice that you use transparency for the creatures, but not for the items. How come?

For example the chairs/tables seem to have the floor added, instead of being transparent.

With a TWBT-top file you could also make the walls two-colored: Grey for the outline, so it merges well and keeps the tone darker, less colorful, while keeping the insides colored, like this:

::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2018, 03:47:50 am »

I notice that you use transparency for the creatures, but not for the items. How come?

For example the chairs/tables seem to have the floor added, instead of being transparent.

With a TWBT-top file you could also make the walls two-colored: Grey for the outline, so it merges well and keeps the tone darker, less colorful, while keeping the insides colored, like this:

I have honestly no idea why I couldn't make the items transparent. I added the floors for screenshot purposes, and can easily remove them again.
Is the transparency related to the -bg file? and how come the creatures are automatically transparent without one?

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2018, 06:22:41 am »

Elves

That's nightmare! That's true nightmare! :P

Goblins

Neat! I like, specifically, how they appear to be struggling to mimic the dwarves in their own ragtag and deformed fashion.
The beak dog and the troll are awesome too, they almost look 3d from the distance.

Any ideas for Elf and Goblin adventurer sprites?
Such as Military professions, but also bard, dancer and poet.
For the elf I was thinking something akin to the dwarf adventurer, with an intricate face mask. Swanfeathers?

Or you can go fully for the "eerie tribal woodcarvers" feel. West african masks are good for this, in particular, but might as well go for the subarctic ones:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Although, the idea of densely-feathered, "ghost of opera" masked elves sounds cool too =)

Goblin Adventurer is different. Might go for a grisly face mask here to, but im having trouble with the colors, I want to go away from the dark gritty metal, but not make them too shiny either. This barrs adding gold, or does it?

I think goblins still shouldn't be as ornate as the others, in terms of gilding and such - rather, get something more in line with their values. Paint the armor blood-red maybe? Or use skulls for helmets?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 06:27:29 am by Sver »
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2018, 02:00:02 pm »

Great ideas, Sver!

Im sure milky white bone contrasts well with oily black metal. As for facemasks, i think the african ones fit goblins better. I want to stay as far away from hippie elves as I can.

I have redrawn all the creatures in creature_standard.txt

This is the current state of affairs:

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2018, 05:26:47 pm »

A note to avoid a lot of future work: Check if the creatures can have children before you make child-sprites.

They look staggeringly good, I feel like an amateur in comparison.

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
Re: Vettlingr's Dwarves, Elves and Goblins v1.2 32x32, 24x24.
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2018, 11:24:48 am »

@Meph: as long as the children sprites are just scaled down adults, There is not much time to save. I will probably rework the child sprites whenever I get to it.

You humble yourself, I have been doing Icon and micro art for years, I just took a long break (over 8 years) until now. The work you have done is still by far the most herculean and a bigger accomplishment than anything I have ever contributed to DF.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
Re: Vettlingr's Graphics Pack 32x v1.3. - Underground Fauna!
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2018, 12:03:44 pm »

Voted Humans and Common Domestic and just wanted to give some reasoning behind: as much as I'd like to see Kobolds in your style, these are the two types of creatures which will be encountered in almost every fort, so having them covered is important for making the tileset appear more organic in-game.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vettlingr's Graphics Pack 32x v1.3. - Underground Fauna!
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2018, 10:24:26 pm »

I am not just imagining the elves to have big boobs right?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I mean the warriors pretty much scream chest protectors. Any reason you made them mostly all female? or Fu*a's.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27