Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Regarding Dwarves, Which grouping fits you the best?

Small Nose Fan
Big Nose Enjoyer

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 27

Author Topic: ☼«☼Vettlingr's Tileset☼»☼ 32x 1.6-1 - OUTLINED Edition. Updated 3/7-22  (Read 267561 times)

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
Re: Vettlingr's Tileset and Graphics TILESET IS OUT NOW!
« Reply #90 on: September 07, 2019, 09:39:25 pm »

I'll check your files and get back to you about the color.

Walls: yes and no. There is no tiletype for engraved, so they would use the same sprite as a regular wall, but with the correct transparency you can hide the engravings in a smoothed wall. Its... Let's say, tricky to do. People haven't really been using this trick since twbt came out. Only works if you make all inorganic background colors the same, btw.

Another option would be to make a "engraved block" (modded) and construct the walls with that. Downside is that you only get the graphics, not actual engravings.

Last option, and I can't believe I never thought of that, is in the init.

You devil.

I think I know a way. Give me some time.

If you turn on "Show Engravings" I guess there is a possibility?
I would be very happy to know what you find out lol.

I tested a few overrides, turns out cavern wood walls do not show up as a ::WOOD override. Do they need separate overrides or?
EDIT: was a fault on my end
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 09:44:03 pm by vettlingr »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #91 on: September 07, 2019, 09:45:46 pm »

HA!

Spoiler: Engraved, simplified (click to show/hide)

All good, using one sprite with squiggles...

Spoiler: Engravings toggled on (click to show/hide)

The horror! Everything is jumbled together, using all kinds of tile numbers for the walls and floor.

Brute force wall overrides!

This is the tileset.png I used for this example.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The good news: Yes, you can absolutely give engravings a unique look. 256 to be exactly.
The bad news: Since dwarves will engrave about anything, making use of pretty much all of the 256 tile numbers, the amount of overrides will be considerable. You can only either turn on ALL of those, or NONE.

This means you need 256 overrides (not necessarily 256 sprites, but lines in the overrides txt) for all possible wall sections. 13, in total (12 walls, 1 floor). 3328. And that's only for one material. If you have differences between smoothed rock and smoothed minerals and smoothed gems... then you might get a bit more than that. For these three materials, it's already 10.000 extra lines of code. :D

EDIT: Walls are fine; floors lead to some trouble, because TWBT doesn't like items with overrides on top of tiles with overrides... I think there is currently no way to properly show floor engravings without the occasional glitch. Problem with that of course is that you can only toggle engravings on/off, but not wall/floor on/off. You get none or both.

Unless you want to ask people to manually D-V (show engravings) ingame, on selected areas of the wall.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 09:56:34 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #92 on: September 07, 2019, 09:59:11 pm »

Colors:
[OVERRIDE:205:B:AXLE_HORIZONTAL:::3:65:16:]
[OVERRIDE:179:B:AXLE_HORIZONTAL:::3:66:16:]
[OVERRIDE:186:B:AXLE_HORIZONTAL:::3:80:16:]
[OVERRIDE:196:B:AXLE_HORIZONTAL:::3:81:16:]
[OVERRIDE:111:B:AXLE_VERTICAL:::3:67:16:]
[OVERRIDE:9:B:AXLE_VERTICAL:::3:83:16:]

The extra :16: at the end is the new foreground color. That's why they are white. ;)

[OVERRIDE:Tile:Kind:Id:Type:Subtype:Tileset:NewTile:NewFg:NewBg:MatFlag:Mat1:Mat2:Mat3]
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 07, 2019, 10:04:11 pm »

Hmm. I'm at a loss for words.

Not sure if i'm crazy enough to implement this. What does one line of code in the overrides look like?
is it
[OVERRIDE:0:T:StoneWallUD:X:0]
[OVERRIDE:1:T:StoneWallUD:X:1]
[OVERRIDE:2:T:StoneWallUD:X:2]
[OVERRIDE:3:T:StoneWallUD:X:3]
[OVERRIDE:0:T:MineralWallUD:X:0]
[OVERRIDE:1:T:MineralWallUD:X:1]

and doesn´t it exclude the tiles for walls, water, rock, floors,  and minetracks? If so, that would make the number of overrides less than 256.

Colors:
[OVERRIDE:205:B:AXLE_HORIZONTAL:::3:65:16:]
[OVERRIDE:179:B:AXLE_HORIZONTAL:::3:66:16:]
[OVERRIDE:186:B:AXLE_HORIZONTAL:::3:80:16:]
[OVERRIDE:196:B:AXLE_HORIZONTAL:::3:81:16:]
[OVERRIDE:111:B:AXLE_VERTICAL:::3:67:16:]
[OVERRIDE:9:B:AXLE_VERTICAL:::3:83:16:]

The extra :16: at the end is the new foreground color. That's why they are white. ;)

[OVERRIDE:Tile:Kind:Id:Type:Subtype:Tileset:NewTile:NewFg:NewBg:MatFlag:Mat1:Mat2:Mat3]

Ah, that explains it. Not sure if I want to change it though. I always like to have all my Cabinets, tables, chairs, mechanisms and so forth the same color.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 10:06:22 pm by vettlingr »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #94 on: September 07, 2019, 10:12:04 pm »

Hmm. I'm at a loss for words.

Not sure if i'm crazy enough to implement this. What does one line of code in the overrides look like?
is it
[OVERRIDE:0:T:StoneWallUD:X:0]
[OVERRIDE:1:T:StoneWallUD:X:1]
[OVERRIDE:2:T:StoneWallUD:X:2]
[OVERRIDE:3:T:StoneWallUD:X:3]
[OVERRIDE:0:T:MineralWallUD:X:0]
[OVERRIDE:1:T:MineralWallUD:X:1]

and doesn´t it exclude the tiles for walls, water, rock, floors,  and minetracks? If so, that would make the number of overrides less than 256.
Don't worry about the lines, I'll do them anyway for my set now. You gave me the idea. ;)

A single line looks like
[OVERRIDE:0:T:StoneWallSmoothUD:_MDF_overrides_18:0]. But tile 0 doesn't have to lead to override 0. You can do 1024 sprites for 1 wall section; or just 1. I think I'll go for something along the lines of 32 or 64. I try to find a workaround for the floors. With 32 cool engraving sprites, it would add a total of 382 sprites for the 12 wall sections; and 3072 override lines for that. Mostly copy/paste/mass-replace. ^^

You'll see what I mean once I have a version for my set running.

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 08, 2019, 03:21:36 am »

I've been trying out some alternate sprite sheets for furniture. so far I like the result a lot.

Been looking and testing with the top layer, so far, adding white highlights with it works very well in game.

Tried the same for the statues
The highlight top layer effect is very apparent in the above example, since the highlight detail is not lost upon df giving the assset color.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #96 on: September 08, 2019, 05:44:00 am »

The top files will always retain their color, no matter what df does. Good for looks, bad for things that should change color, like objects covered in mud, vomit, blood... Or marked forbidden. Try avoiding using all of the Sprite in the top files.

The furniture shown are all rock items, a little bit randomized, like the statues in my set?

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 08, 2019, 01:40:04 pm »

The top files will always retain their color, no matter what df does. Good for looks, bad for things that should change color, like objects covered in mud, vomit, blood... Or marked forbidden. Try avoiding using all of the Sprite in the top files.

The furniture shown are all rock items, a little bit randomized, like the statues in my set?
Yep! found that slight variation is king. Though I may remake the statues and coffers later.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #98 on: September 08, 2019, 02:07:25 pm »

I would consider using wall-top files to make the color a little bit more uniform:

Left current look, right with some hardcoded grey.

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 09, 2019, 09:46:56 pm »

THis is only getting better and better.

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 12, 2019, 04:14:15 am »

Started working on the second Furniture Sprite Sheet today. This one is starting off with Floodgates.

I would consider using wall-top files to make the color a little bit more uniform:

Left current look, right with some hardcoded grey.

I've been playing around with that before. I just dont like the result. I like my fortress to look part candyland :D. I am probably also going to put in Higlight layers in -top, and then I would have to do it all over again.

Anyway mate, is there a way to override Weapon, cage and stonefall traps, as well as Pressure plates?

Edit: And what about Built stationary instruments, any way to use overrides for them?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 04:24:16 am by vettlingr »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ≡Vettlingr's Tileset≡ 1.1 - Dystopic Edition. Alternate Furniture.
« Reply #101 on: September 12, 2019, 04:48:14 am »

Yes and yes. You can override instruments and traps.

Do you need the overrides for that?

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 12, 2019, 05:55:55 am »

Yes and yes. You can override instruments and traps.

Do you need the overrides for that?

I think I found the Instrument override among your files.
[OVERRIDE:168:I:INSTRUMENT:INSTRUMENT::_MDF_overrides_13:200:::BONE]
[OVERRIDE:168:B:INSTRUMENT_STATIONARY:Instrument::_MDF_overrides_13:200:::BONE]

But the traps I cannot find yet.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #103 on: September 12, 2019, 06:15:17 am »

Code: [Select]
[OVERRIDE:94:B:TRAP:Trap:1:_MDF_overrides_5:113:6] pressure plate
[OVERRIDE:94:B:TRAP:Trap:2:_MDF_overrides_5:128]3 cage
[OVERRIDE:94:B:TRAP:Trap:3:_MDF_overrides_5:129:16] stonefall
[OVERRIDE:94:B:TRAP:Trap:4:_MDF_overrides_5:112:7] weapon

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 16, 2019, 11:26:49 am »

Code: [Select]
[OVERRIDE:94:B:TRAP:Trap:1:_MDF_overrides_5:113:6] pressure plate
[OVERRIDE:94:B:TRAP:Trap:2:_MDF_overrides_5:128]3 cage
[OVERRIDE:94:B:TRAP:Trap:3:_MDF_overrides_5:129:16] stonefall
[OVERRIDE:94:B:TRAP:Trap:4:_MDF_overrides_5:112:7] weapon

Is there any way to make traps look different when built upon smoothed/constructed floors?

I guess you could make them have different  sprites depending on what their mechanisms are made from.

I'm just asking because I'm curious, I dont think im going to implement any variation here.

Edit
Next Spritesheet is in. this one adds alternative graphics for even more furniture.

also includes custom graphics for rocks, gems and stationary instruments. As well as custom sprites for each ore, flux, coal and special ore.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 11:57:39 am by vettlingr »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 27