Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Regarding Dwarves, Which grouping fits you the best?

Small Nose Fan
Big Nose Enjoyer

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 27

Author Topic: ☼«☼Vettlingr's Tileset☼»☼ 32x 1.6-1 - OUTLINED Edition. Updated 3/7-22  (Read 264319 times)

DeedsOfFlesh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Damm, that's weird i guess, thanks for the reply man, the tileset is really beautiful btw!

Novaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I post it here just for completeness:

I quickly mashed it together and all I can say is that the gfx work essentially out of the box:

I think however I found the problem: the mod defines ALL CIVS to be playable in fort mode, so its not guaranteed that you get dwarves when starting a fortress (search for SITE_CONTROLLABLE and ALL_MAIN_POPS_CONTROLLABLE in the entities files). So I guess what happened is you just didnt get a dwarven fort.
You can simply check this by starting arena mode and create a dwarven creature, it should show the correct tiles. Then simply erase the two tags from all entities but MOUNTAIN to ensure you play as dwarves. I started a fort then and indeed the tiles were no dwarves but some sort of human creature instead confirming my suspicion.

DeedsOfFlesh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, i just installed vettling and put aeramods files inside

And you're saying that i didn\t select a dwarven civilisation from embark? ill test this right now yeah.................... yep, yep, you are correct and i\m feeling extermely stupid right now :D thank you very much, man!

Can u possibly give me a guide on how to add sprites for creatures maybe, i really wanna contribute somewhere or do something atleast! My little brother is a programmer so u dont really have to go too deep in the details (I coudn't really understand what was written in the wiki page), i'll i guess just be adding stuff in for the missing aera mod creature sprites.... But anyway I was rushing the *test* of my dwarf forterss and completely imssed the cfact that i could've been playing a difrent civ, thank you!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 03:26:12 pm by DeedsOfFlesh »

Novaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Adding creature graphics is actually much easier than tiles.
- You create a png file with the tiles for the creatues and place it in the \raw\graphics folder.
- Then you look for the creature_xxx.txt file in \raw\objects that contains your creature
- You note down its ID, look for [CREATURE:xxx], the xxx is its ID
- Go back to the raw\graphics\ folder and copy any graphics_creature file, for example the one for domestic animals
- rename it to graphics_yourfancynamegoeshere
- open it and change the first line in the file to resemble the name of the file
- give the TILE_PAGE a new unique name
- now alter the FILE, TILE_DIM and PAGE_DIM to fit your image, FILE is the file name of your texture, TILE_DIM is the dimension of a single tile in the texture, for example 32:32 is 32x32 pixel, PAGE_DIM shows how many tiles there are in X and Y direction
- last, delete all creatures and add a line for your new creature [CREATURE_GRAPHICS:xxx] (make sure its the same ID)
- adjust DEFAULT, CHILD and ANIMATED coordinates to your tile (for example 0:0 for top left), leave IS_DEFAULT when in doubt. if the creature can be trained also add TRAINED_WAR and TRAINED_HUNTER
- the second ID after DEFAULT or CHILD is the TILE_PAGE ID (for example DEFAULT:DOMESTIC points to TILE_PAGE:DOMESTIC in the same file), make sure they match
- you can add as many creatures as you like to one graphics file, just keep PAGE_DIM within 16x16

thats it :D easy, right?

« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 03:49:40 pm by Novaris »

DeedsOfFlesh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, doesn't seem too complicated, thank you! I'll fiddle around tomorrow and i have to play with the tileset a bit more to find the missing sprites, thank you, thank you thank you! If i see a creature that doesn't have a sprite what's the fastest way for me to find him in the txt files, ctrl f in the files and that's it huh? And another thing is how should i make a seperate folder to *maybe* put it up as an aera mod graphics patch in here or somehting?

Novaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Best would be to go to the units screen and check its name (like "dog" or "cat" or "dragon" or "wyrm") and then use a tool like sublime text editor to search within files of a whole directory. Search for "[NAME:xxx", so for example [NAME:cat would bring up a mentioning in raw\objects\creature_domestic.txt line 137.
You can also select the unit with the cursor and press 'v' to view it. The screen then shows something like "A small mammalian carnivore.  It is usually domestic and hunts vermin.". Again, open up your tool and search for "[DESCRIPTION:A small mammalian carnivore" and you will find it in raw\objects\creature_domestic.txt line 136.
Both ways work.
You can use any text editor that has the capability to search through all files in a given folder. I usually use sublime or vscode.

AS for the subfolder thing: I would say yes as it makes merging it easier. Also, use maybe your username as part of the graphics file name so they won't collide with files from other mods.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 04:31:16 pm by Novaris »

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile

The image file for the creatures need to be png for the game to read it, but you can word in any format. Keep in mind that creatures need to be limited to a grid of 32x32 pixels and the whole image file is best off in dimensions divisable by 32. I usually use 512x512, but any numbers divisible by 32 will do.

An image editor with a modifyable grid is best to use, set the grid to 32 x 32 and its good to go.

The graphics file for the code and coordinates is a bit more complicated, but there is a great article for it on the wiki.

keep in mind that coordinates use the value 0, so row 5 in x axis would yield the value 4 and so on.

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ≡Vettlingr's Tileset≡ 32x 1.5 - TRANSPARENT Edition. Updated 29/5-21
« Reply #352 on: August 14, 2021, 05:01:03 pm »

A humble suggestion for later, perhaps:

I love the rocks and stones in Vettlingr. They are amazing, and definitely one of the reasons it's at the top of my tileset rotation. However, it makes me sad that smoothing and engraving tiles, making my fortress uniform, must come at the cost of this great work.

Would it be possible for smoothed stone and/or rough walls, made from stone boulders, to keep the original look, maybe with some work around the edges? Here is a (bad) mockup of what I mean, shamelessly stealing the frames from the existing doors.

Of course you would want to use unique graphics so it doesn't look confusing with doors. Maybe something more subtle, even.

I haven't given this much thought, admittedly, so maybe it's not a great idea and somebody has a better one. I'd like a way to keep more of the stone look around, though... while still having control over uniformity and overall looks.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 05:03:53 pm by Dwarf_Fever »
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: August 22, 2021, 02:26:01 am »

@Dwarf_Fever: Its certainly a good idea. though by how the game handles graphics, there are a few problems. First of all smooth walls are directional, while natural walls are not. furthermore, natural walls uses both background and foreground colour while smooth walls uses only foreground, unless engraved.

While your idea is certainly implementable, it requires a few tricks that may come at the cost of readability, especially regarding showing which tiles are designated for digging and which are not. I think the true solution to the discontinuity problem between natural and smooth walls will have to be solved with the new features in the steam release and graphics update. Said update will provide me with an immense amount of work, that may or may not cause me to overhaul all walls, though from the looks of mephs wall suggestion on reddit a few months ago, which paid homage to my wall design, the smooth walls will probably stay the same, allowing me to focus entirely on natural walls.

In an ideal situation, I would want the steam release to forego the top down perspective for a slight isomeric angle, no more than 10°, to show depth of the walls, but that has already been decided against.

Update post and current state of the next update:
I've worked on sprites for wooden furniture, floors and rock blocks. all these will have some additional variation to them in the next update, since the current state only has 1 sprite for wooden table, chair etc. while wooden coffers and cabinets do not differ from stone ones at all. New wooden floor tiles are there to make wooden forts easier on the eyes.

To amend the green colours being to similar, I have decided for all grass and plants to use the light green, while all tree leaves use the darker green. As the tile variance of grass already helps break up the environment, there is no need for different green coloirs for grasses anymore.

I intend to make more sprites for metal furniture but am not sure how to go about it yet. Followers and fans of Mephs tileset may note that he has done different designs for a whole row of different metals and materials. i have not decided wether to do the same and follow his example yet. Until later notice, metal sprites are probably coming sometime during autumn.

To do list:
Wooden Furniture 95/% done
Metal Furniture
 - Different sprites for high quality metals?
Bone Furniture (?) - For artifacts
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 09:48:33 am by vettlingr »

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: October 13, 2021, 11:59:28 am »

I love the look of the wooden furniture. Too often wooden furniture just looks like brown stone furniture. So would love to see this. You are doing great work. As for the metal furniture, I would just make it look distinct to the wood and stone. All the different metal furniture types from Meph’s set can be too different from each other and not fit well together visually. Just my two cents on it anyways. Keep up the great work on your tileset!

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: October 14, 2021, 03:53:48 pm »

I love the look of the wooden furniture. Too often wooden furniture just looks like brown stone furniture. So would love to see this. You are doing great work. As for the metal furniture, I would just make it look distinct to the wood and stone. All the different metal furniture types from Meph’s set can be too different from each other and not fit well together visually. Just my two cents on it anyways. Keep up the great work on your tileset!

I originally put off doing the wooden furniture since I thought most people stuck to stone, and had a ragtag band of barebones wood furniture sprites as placeholders. Then I see on youtube and twitch how people actually use a lot more wood furniture in their forts than I thought. As the tileset progressed the wood furniture started looking out of place and the floor tiles looked hideous. Couldn't really bear watching people playing with my tileset constructing wooden forts as a result.

This tileset was originally made to address a lot of the inconsistencies that occur in Mephs. I wanted all furniture and wall sprites to fit very well together and wood items and architecture shouldn't look out of place close to metal and stone. Meph sure is a pioneer in the making of TWBT tileset and I have learnt a great deal from him and studying his override solutions. It feels like Meph showed me the TWBT solution for me to master its implementation. I am very grateful for his help.

I would like to add more features similar to what Meph has, especially unique sprites for certain materials. THough with steam release on the horizon, that may mean a lot of work just to end up scrapping it in the end, and I've already scrapped a lot so far.

Thanks for your input, I don't necessarily think my tileset should be compared to Mephs as they are both standalone entities with different styles and solutions at this point. Though one did encourage the other.

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 16, 2021, 10:19:54 am »

This "I wanted all furniture and wall sprites to fit very well together and wood items and architecture shouldn't look out of place close to metal and stone." is exactly what I was meaning. The comparison was never meant in the sense of one better than the other but rather a look at the different styles. If I want to create very different rooms with a large variety of styles and themes then Meph fits the bill. But for me I like everything looking similar or well fitting for a consistent theme over the entire fort. Meph really did lead the way in a lot of areas of modding. I still play his mega mod from time to time and remember when it first became a thing. Its cool to see how the community has grown and changed over the years. (dwarf fortress its self included). Ya I have found that I enjoy making wooden furniture for my forts as it just for me mentally creates a picture that makes sense and more of a cozy feeling in the rooms then everything being stone.

Keep up the great work!

P.s. I would not create to much extra work for yourself, especially with all the potential changes of the steam release resulting in scrapped work for yourself.

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: October 26, 2021, 11:06:43 am »

I've been busy touching up a few old sprites that were mostly placeholders from the start.
Most of the workshops have gotten a facelift, and their graphics will now reflect what material was used to build them, materials being wood, stone, metal and glass.

Butchery (Stone):

Tannery (Metal):

Dyery (Metal):

Siege Workshop (wood):

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 27, 2021, 12:14:58 am »

Very cool as always!
Team Bug Fix!

neobit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Page with my goodies (games, music, photos)
« Reply #359 on: October 29, 2021, 05:24:07 am »

(...)
I love the rocks and stones in Vettlingr. They are amazing, and definitely one of the reasons it's at the top of my tileset rotation. (...)
Exactly my thought as well.

(...)
Butchery (Stone):

(...)
Normally I wouldn't ask for this but as you are doing the rework of workshops anyway. What would you think about changing butchery a bit? Currently it does look braided whilst that wouldn't be practical thus it is a little confusing. For me at least.
Would you mind changing the top to something more flat? Wooden or metallic?

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 27