Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mass pitting not working  (Read 694 times)

Paralyzoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mass pitting not working
« on: September 13, 2018, 02:57:21 am »

I set up an execution room/arena for my prisoners fed by a pit 2 z-levels above the room, and I tested it by having my military rookies toss in some goblin recruits and disarmed bowmen. About half of the goblins don't make it through the floor hatches.

My structure:

z=0:
Code: [Select]
=======
|++++++
|+C++C+
|++++++
|+C++C+
|++++++
(=| is a wall, + is a floor/animal stockpile, C is a floor hatch)
...etc, except that it's a 12x12 room.

z=1: empty space
z=2: floor (under atom smasher)

Each floor hatch is forbidden (through t) and not pet accessible (through q). Goblins are stored in wooden cages, each right next to a floor hatch. Pit covers the entire 12x12 room.

Does anyone know what's going on?
He felt aroused after seeing the goblin Ramkal Drunkensiege's dead body.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Mass pitting not working
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 10:36:39 am »

There are a couple of threads on the issue, here and here.

And some wiki chat about it.

I do not know if there is any certainty on why it is happening, since it appears to work some of the time.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Paralyzoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 12:35:26 am »

I think I figured out what’s going on.

I have a constructed clay stone wall section that’s letting goblins climb up the side of the pit. The floor hatches don’t do anything to keep a climbing goblin out. Once the first goblin pops out, all the haulers stop what they’re doing, potentially releasing any goblin prisoners.

Time to widen the pit again :(
He felt aroused after seeing the goblin Ramkal Drunkensiege's dead body.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 02:02:55 am »

Why did you leave a hole they can get out from, though? Archery training?

PS: You can pit through unlinked retracting bridges to be extra-sure they're impassable.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 12:39:28 pm »

I think the "let" was an unintentional result of the constructed wall.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 07:00:03 pm »

Pretty sure you could easily fix it by putting an overhang of floors around the edge of z=1:
Code: [Select]
=======
|++++++
|+.....
|+.....
|+.....
|+.....

Climbers can't hold on to the edge of floors, and therefore can't get from z2 to z1. They can't grab them on the way down either.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 07:02:57 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 12:12:31 am »

Or using constructed fortifications instead of constructed walls, since there may not be a room for overhang in design (climbers can't hold onto buildings either I've tested).

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 03:18:47 am »

Or using constructed fortifications instead of constructed walls, since there may not be a room for overhang in design (climbers can't hold onto buildings either I've tested).
I'm not sure about that. My prisoner execution device uses a minecart shotgun to throw prisoners out of a cart, through a fortification, and down to an "exit" with atom smashing drawbridges triggered by a pressure plate. I had problems with prisoners hanging on to the upper level, which was smoothed natural stone, except for the carved fortification of course, and I'm fairly sure I've even seen them appear on the upper level after it was empty, indicating climbing (this causes dorfs recovering the minecart to be scared).
I changed the design to dig away an additional tile of stone at the upper level, resulting in a two tile deep section, rather than one, and have seen nobody hanging on/climbing since (although I've had cases with cages that did not throw their prisoners out, requiring a second attempt instead).

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 04:07:02 am »

Derp. Constructed floodgates, not fortifications. Not sure what I was thinking, obviously fortifications aren't buildings.