Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Colosseum Road to Freedom  (Read 1999 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Colosseum Road to Freedom
« on: September 13, 2018, 05:18:55 pm »

I recently started playing this again and am hoping someone else has so I can gush about how great it is with them. Any takers?
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Colosseum Road to Freedom
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 07:45:12 pm »

I have very vague memories of renting! this game back in the day. Isn't there sort of like, rudimentary programmable AI for your team or your guy or something?

This is the kind of game I wish people would make more of. I love gladiator games whether they're sims, team management or action games.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 11:08:05 pm »

Could you post some links or more info please?

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 12:48:56 am »

Bruh I loved this game and the not-remake they did for the PSP. I'd love a game like this but where you can manage the whole ludus. I would literally shit myself. It definitely hits everything is want in a gladiator game with the tech available at the time

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 10:12:33 am »

Could you post some links or more info please?

I will when I get on my home computer yes.

I have very vague memories of renting! this game back in the day. Isn't there sort of like, rudimentary programmable AI for your team or your guy or something?

This is the kind of game I wish people would make more of. I love gladiator games whether they're sims, team management or action games.

Not really, your team AI is only ever two guys and they're basically useless.

Bruh I loved this game and the not-remake they did for the PSP. I'd love a game like this but where you can manage the whole ludus. I would literally shit myself. It definitely hits everything is want in a gladiator game with the tech available at the time

Yeah, this. Something like Total War, where you have a Ludus mode and a gladiator mode.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 10:30:17 am »

So, uh. Domina?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 11:14:17 am »

Nah, the actual combat in Domina is severely lacking. It's good for a hands-off Ludus management simulator, kind of, but the combat in Colosseum was fantastic and relied as much on skill as stats. Domina's easy to snowball into endless victories when you get one or two main gladiators. In Colosseum you could win just about any fight at any point, but you could easily lose too. Gotta watch out for Flamma's gigantic ass.

EDIT: I do hope this conversation leads me to another gladiatorial game I haven't played. I am, uh, a fan of the time period, and arena combat in particular, to put it lightly.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 11:18:44 am by Man of Paper »

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 11:50:19 am »

I’m a fan of this genre as well and this remains the best example of gladiator gameplay. No other gladiator games even come close.

Although Domina was good in a different way.

If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 12:21:52 pm »

By the way this game is fairly old so I'm not really going to spoiler any plot elements. Not that there's really that much plot anyway. I am currently playing through with a new character so I can kill Laetus and get his sweet sweet helmet and sword. I'll probably play again through one more time after that before going past day 50 so I can get the little belt dagger he pulls out if you knock his sword out of his hands. And then I'll go past the end of the game make my character insanely powerful and be the god of the Arena. I already have a character that's way past day 50 but he's lost a little bit of his shine because I can never fight Laetus with him
He's fucking with us.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 02:06:22 pm »

I enjoyed the small things they included, like waving at people at the gates would result in them throwing shit at you. Mostly stones and insults until you weren't a low-end scrub, but it becomes an easy way to gain small bits of coin and those little statboosting jawns. I also liked seeing how long I could last against the arena guards.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 02:19:42 pm »

Supposedly if you kill 100 of the guards you have fought your way to Freedom. I got to 75 a few times with my way overpowered 125 day guy but never all the way to a hundred. After a certain point they're just dogpiling like 10 guys at a time. Regardless of how badass or well armored you are you just can't stop them.
He's fucking with us.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 03:09:25 pm »

Wow, didn't know that. Would've been able to do it, too. All you really have to do is turtle up on the cart ramp in the first arena.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2018, 03:28:52 pm »

EDIT: I do hope this conversation leads me to another gladiatorial game I haven't played. I am, uh, a fan of the time period, and arena combat in particular, to put it lightly.

+1. I checked out Domina but it didn't scratch the itch I was having. If anyone has any top tier Gladiator games, of any variety, let us know.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2018, 04:26:01 pm »

Shadow of Rome I think it was wasn't too bad, either. I think that's the game where you played a Roman legion guy turned gladiator and some kid being a sneaky shit.

The kid parts weren't bad, but it detracted from a unified gladiatorial experience. Even if the arena combat was a little arcadey

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2018, 05:24:13 pm »

Wow, didn't know that. Would've been able to do it, too. All you really have to do is turtle up on the cart ramp in the first arena.

Nah, I tried turtling on the other side of the weapon tables, by the fence, so they can only come one way, one at a time. Those Roman Spears are long enough to tink away at your shield from there, even if you can brutally murderize the guy in front fast enough, eventually weight of numbers knocks your shield off and then it's time for the arm to get Death of a Thousand Cuts'd.
He's fucking with us.
Pages: [1] 2