Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Colosseum Road to Freedom  (Read 1969 times)

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
Re: Colosseum Road to Freedom
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2018, 09:00:11 am »

I played this maybe last year or earlier this year. I never figured out how to do it good or how the attack system worked.
You mentioned killing Laetus, but I didn't manage to defeat anyone cool. I tried the
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
but despite losing it, I didn't do enough damage to look cool.
Eventually I "took too long to become a high ranking gladiator".
Also, never figured out how to fight anyone with a shield.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 09:03:06 am by Lukewarm »

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2018, 10:32:05 am »

It's all about the directional attacks and focusing down pieces of armor to expose that sweet, juicy meat inside. Knocking off a single piece of armor is a death sentence if you can capitalize. You can strip shields easy by alternating left and right attacks to knock it around. The biggest part of fighting though is stamina management - that "I'm exhausted" overhead swing leaves you wide open for some stabs. Gives some sweet cinematic views if you finish the match with it though.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2018, 11:01:10 am »

Yeah I just fought Flamma the very first day I could, which means I was somewhat underpowered for the fight. I just had to wear down his grip on his shield, then once he dropped it, I zeroed in on his shield arm and played keep away from his shield. He died quick.

As an aside, an overwhelming stream of attacks can take shields off too, such as repeated Double Stinger or basically all two sword moves, especially Fury.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2018, 11:22:54 am »

Dimacherus is friggin brutal in Colosseum, especially early on. I'd usually roll with two swords until I got myself a Carthaginian shield, then I'd swap over to speartanking. Shit I want to play this bad now.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2018, 12:05:50 pm »

My day 103 character with two swords is terrifying. He's like a blender on legs, dishing out 125 damage a swing, with nigh infinite stamina. The ultimate in crowd control. I do much better in duels with Roman style large shield and sword. I'm an expert at counters and roll-dodging but barely adequate at regular r1 dodging.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

moderate guardian

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2018, 01:45:41 am »

My favorite way to play the game is as a small shield fighter and once I found enough unarmed fighting skill tablets and armor I switch to unarmed only and enjoy maxing out the crowd meter and going into slow mo as the crowd chants. Gotta be quick getting those tablets they are the first thing that the weird ai controlled minions run out and pick up. I like how game uses physics for the damage and the items so you could kick items or hit them off of enemies and disarm enemies with counter attacks. The importance of dodges as an unarmed fighter becomes paramount which makes the game very intense. I wish there was a sequel to this amazing game.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2018, 07:46:30 am »

There's a spiritual sequel on PSP called Gladiator Begins or something like that. Totally different game and great in its own way.

Possibly the best part about it was getting ambushed while unarmed and unarmored and having to kill three guys with a stool.
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 [2]