Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Rented Rooms for the Tavern  (Read 8010 times)

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
Re: Rented Rooms for the Tavern
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2018, 08:55:30 pm »

Not sure if this is your problem but the leader of the squad must be a full citizen.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2018, 03:39:14 am »

Nobody in the tavern seems to respect the people who own the rented rooms.  Also I've noticed the rented rooms are working, but it's not allowing me to assign the military dwarves into my squads.

Would this happen because I don't have a tavern keeper assigned to the tavern??   Just my guess.

What? No, I don't have a tavern keeper too. Visitors (mercenaries only, not monster slayers!) can be assigned slots 2-10 in the squad no matter if they have a room or not. Slot 1 can be assigned only to citizens, including naturalised ones (like scholars or dancers).

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2018, 12:32:35 pm »

Nobody in the tavern seems to respect the people who own the rented rooms.  Also I've noticed the rented rooms are working, but it's not allowing me to assign the military dwarves into my squads. 
Curious: What kind of respect are you expecting; not beating them up?

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2018, 06:29:23 pm »

Curious: What kind of respect are you expecting; not beating them up?

Well I was expecting that once a room is rented then it would be only that persons room... instead all the visitors and people in the tavern wander around inside the rooms freely.  Would probably be shocking for you to rent a room someplace and return to the room discovering complete strangers spending time relaxing in your rented room.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2018, 03:46:03 am »

If the rooms are painted as part of the tavern or have stockpiles in them, others have reason to visit those public spaces for those purposes, and the same goes for the case where the "room" is part of a travel path. Dorfs have no actual concept of privacy, and the game doesn't have any means to keep people to where you want them except physical barriers. Residents can be controlled a little with burrows and travel restrictions, but those are ignored completely by visitors (and invaders).

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2018, 08:25:14 pm »

If the rooms are painted as part of the tavern or have stockpiles in them, others have reason to visit those public spaces for those purposes, and the same goes for the case where the "room" is part of a travel path. Dorfs have no actual concept of privacy, and the game doesn't have any means to keep people to where you want them except physical barriers. Residents can be controlled a little with burrows and travel restrictions, but those are ignored completely by visitors (and invaders).

The only way to have rented rooms, is by placing as part of the tavern zone.  Stockpiles and travel paths are not the case here so those don't apply.  This is just one of those scenarios which would be viewed as a bug in normal games.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2018, 09:16:39 pm »

The only way to have rented rooms, is by placing as part of the tavern zone.  Stockpiles and travel paths are not the case here so those don't apply.  This is just one of those scenarios which would be viewed as a bug in normal games.
And will be viewed as a bug once you've posted the bug report on it, so Toady actually knows it happens.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2018, 02:07:13 am »

I've never had any rooms painted as tavern (well, I do so as part of my nuptial encouragement program, but that's a different issue, and if the doors aren't locked assorted bards and whatnot tend to enter). Instead, I associate "normal" rooms to the tavern though the room creation interface.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2018, 11:19:11 pm »

Yeah. Just checking out my current fortress. Current tavern has 36 rooms (35 rented). 131 citizens and 33 guests are wandering around and no-one is trespassing into any of the rooms.

I think the problem is when, as mentioned above, you literally paint the rooms as part of the tavern rather than making them afterwards and linking them to the tavern. Make a tavern first, add rooms later. Could still use a bug report I suppose to tighten up the system.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2018, 03:24:33 am »

If I'm understand what you are saying, that doesn't sounds like a bug to me at all.  If you make an area part of the tavern it is part of the tavern.  If you make a bedroom and add it to the location, then the bedroom is associated with the location.  The only thing that would make sense to me is to disallow beds to be installed in the tavern...  But if I put a bed in the tavern and overlay a bedroom with the tavern, I would *expect* that to be a normal bedroom in the tavern, not a room added to the tavern.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2018, 04:17:33 am »

If I'm understand what you are saying, that doesn't sounds like a bug to me at all.  If you make an area part of the tavern it is part of the tavern.  If you make a bedroom and add it to the location, then the bedroom is associated with the location.  The only thing that would make sense to me is to disallow beds to be installed in the tavern...  But if I put a bed in the tavern and overlay a bedroom with the tavern, I would *expect* that to be a normal bedroom in the tavern, not a room added to the tavern.
If you define a bedroom in an area which is currently defined as a tavern and someone claims it, ideally all other visitors and dwarves would stop wandering into it. Just as regular fortress dwarves dont usually wander into bits of the fortress defined as someone's bedroom. But right now it seems that it's 'once a public area, always a public area' which is probably not what's intended.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 04:19:16 am by Shonai_Dweller »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2018, 05:47:35 am »

If you define a bedroom in an area which is currently defined as a tavern and someone claims it, ideally all other visitors and dwarves would stop wandering into it. Just as regular fortress dwarves dont usually wander into bits of the fortress defined as someone's bedroom. But right now it seems that it's 'once a public area, always a public area' which is probably not what's intended.
If you're painting the tavern as a zone you can easily remove the parts you later make into bedrooms. The reason dorfs aren't generally walking into other dorfs' bedrooms is because they have no task to perform there, but if you provide a task for them, they'll go there, so it's not a matter of privacy but a matter of where to perform "jobs". A dorf task for a tavern is to socialize, and if the zone in the bedroom is closer than the main one they'll probably select the bedroom one. If you'd have DF kill zone parts designated as bedrooms, what should it do when two (or more) bedrooms overlap?

Miles_Umbrae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2018, 05:26:04 pm »

The game could theoretically be able to designate "rentable rooms" sections of the tavern as special zone that's both part of the tavern but not eligible for socialize tasks.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2018, 05:36:07 pm »

If you're painting the tavern as a zone you can easily remove the parts you later make into bedrooms. The reason dorfs aren't generally walking into other dorfs' bedrooms is because they have no task to perform there, but if you provide a task for them, they'll go there, so it's not a matter of privacy but a matter of where to perform "jobs". A dorf task for a tavern is to socialize, and if the zone in the bedroom is closer than the main one they'll probably select the bedroom one. If you'd have DF kill zone parts designated as bedrooms, what should it do when two (or more) bedrooms overlap?
Hi Patrick, can zones actually be cut up and resized like that?
I thought perhaps not, unlike piles, but I haven't tried recently.
Would make this a non-issue if you can.

Overlapping bedrooms would work like overlapping bedrooms do in other parts of the fortress. No issue there.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2018, 12:00:58 am »

The way to do it is to remove the zone from the location, resize it and then add it back to the location again.  I've done this recently (breaking up a bit temple into several small ones).  I'm  not absolutely sure removing from the location is necessary, but I think it is.
Pages: 1 [2] 3