Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How to become Overpowered: A Guide  (Read 6984 times)

thefriendlyhacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to become Overpowered: A Guide
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2018, 01:12:23 am »

This might take you a couple of tries, but in the end its worth it. It think after posting this they might patch it, oh well. Enjoy it while it lasts! ...
Can I just take a moment to point out that this is the first time I have ever see anyone express concern that a particular set of bugs/exploits might be fixed too quickly.

Meanwhile, I am hoping that flying pathfinding gets a once over some time this decade.
Fallout Equestria Redux - that's right, it's back

Senator Jim Death

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2018, 09:20:06 pm »

Can I just take a moment to point out that this is the first time I have ever see anyone express concern that a particular set of bugs/exploits might be fixed too quickly.

Meanwhile, I am hoping that flying pathfinding gets a once over some time this decade.

We could have a whole thread just about things that have long needed fixed, improved, or even just made internally consistent. I even think it could be done without mentioning the UI.

As for the topic, I always and under all circumstances play as a necromancer in adventure mode. I don't care at all about raising the dead, which is far more hassle than it's worth most of the time. It's just far too convenient not to have to manage food and water, and the ability to sprint without limit is priceless in areas with lots of creatures (i.e. most of the interesting ones).
If it's not trying to be fun, it's not trying to be a video game.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2018, 06:13:55 pm »

Leaving aside how many disagreements I have with each point; if you have to stack the deck this much to become 'overpowered' to your satisfaction, wouldn't it save time to just cheat?

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2018, 12:27:29 pm »

Thank you jojohunter for sharing something you found exciting. For many of us this is rather old news, im afraid, and we might also know a couple more tricks that you didn't include (angel adventurer anyone? demon companion?), but for new players, this could definitly be interesting. I *do* have a problem with the statement that you can not kill warriors with a newborn DEMIGOD though. I always play hero characters, and they get into all sorts of fights. I guess what I am trying to say is that combat in DF involves some degree of skill and expirience as well, not just stats. Kisat dur is a great example for this.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

sketchesofpayne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2018, 12:54:04 am »

Wait, you're trying to get powerful and kill stuff in adventure mode?  I thought the goal was to die in the most insane circumstances possible.

Still, you've given me an idea to settle a site with a whole group of vampire-zombie-necromancers.

ChrisLeJohn

• Bay Watcher
  • For your health
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2018, 02:39:24 pm »

What I love about adventure mode is that one time I got so strong that I had the burning desire to just go jump into a volcano.  And I could!  For I was shunned and vampiric. Unable to rejoin society.  I had no future. It was blissful.
I just learned how to spell escargot.

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2018, 07:11:37 pm »

Why bother to remove bogeymen? Just make a trade before you venture off in the wildernis. This should give you a pouch full of shurikens coins.

Bogeymen are very good to train your throwing skills and dodging skills. Of course you need some training before you try that. Else you will pass out from exhaustion before you did any serious damage.

The trick with melee combat is not getting hit. Either block, dodge or parry everything. Dodging moves you to another location and should be used when multiple opponents can attack.

If you have an opportunity to attack, look where you can do most damage. With fast opponents like bogeymen it can be useful to use fast attacks until your target is crippled enough.

After you butchered a couple of bogeymen packs the rest shouldn't be hard anymore.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2018, 02:22:53 pm »

9.) If you have a necromancer tower in your world go to it, dont attack the zombies. Becuase youre undead, the zombies will not attack you. Feel free to murder the necromancers though. Then take their demon book and learn to make zombos then leave.

10.) Your stats are now almost broken. With the bonus of your vamparism which doubles your stats, and if you became a necromancer, another double. Your stats are now quadrupled. Then find a dwarven fortress or a place with LOTS of villagers, then kill about 300 or more. Then go slay a megabeast or two

I don't think these two stand in unmodded game.

Point nine: the zombies won't attack you, unless you are enemy to them, for example because you attacked necromancer. If they don't attack you while being enemies, then it's a bug/glitch. In fact it's easier to become friendly with the necromancers than with zombies after that. This is also true if you come from civilisation which is in war with the particular tower (for example because you previously fought it in fortress mode), then you don't even have to attack anyone as adventurer, they will be hostile, at least zombies.

Point ten: necromancer doesn't give any abilities boost in vanilla game. If you had STR 1300 before becoming vampire, you have effective STR 2600, but it remains at that level if you become necromancer. You can train it, but won't get an instant boost. The only reason to become necromancer at this point is probably to have a reanimate spell, to cover you tracks while retreating or for fun. I don't think that necromancer has anything over vampire in terms of advantages, beyond that spell.

Last time I checked both on the same adventurer it was in v0.44.12 (current version of DF), though the world was created in v0.44.10.

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2018, 08:59:07 am »

I would train your attributes to max before getting vampirism. Becoming better than the average soldier isn't hard, just wrassle wildlife until your dodge, block, fighter and wrestling is massively improved. Then you can climb the ladder with minor engagements and skirmishes until you can take on a boss. Then hunt down a vampire drink his blood.
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"
Pages: 1 [2]