Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How likely is a nuclear war?  (Read 1849 times)

psychohobbit1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How likely is a nuclear war?
« on: September 13, 2018, 06:56:52 pm »

What do you think the chances are that the magic generation will spit out huge explosions that generate necrotic dust, wiping out all life in a generated world due to a global thermonuclear war?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: How likely is a nuclear war?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 08:30:33 pm »

Region-wide destruction was mentioned, so yeah, probably.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 09:07:33 pm »

With any luck, more likely than IRL..?

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 11:58:40 pm »

That's... not what a thermonuclear explosion is. You could say it's functionally equivalent to a thermonuclear explosion, though.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 12:08:07 am »

An Uristoclear explosion, if you will.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 01:36:18 am »

Aw. Saw this in my Recent Unread Topics, and assumed it was a General Discussion thread. :(

...Anyways. Recent FotF certainly implies that magic will be able to have destructive enough effects to majorly inconvenience a whole city. By making everyone there catch on fire.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 05:47:31 am »

Honestly, one of the possibilities that excites me most about the magic system is the off-chance that there's some sort of ludicrous "individual finds interaction between two magic systems that allows for infinite cloning/constant explosions/permanent invincibility/a bottomless well of blood" that the game recognizes. I'm not expecting it in particular, but it'd be cool.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 06:17:23 am »

Sorta like how you can prod same necromancer to keep generating more towers, as long as they have founded groups to generate from beforehand?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 06:32:16 am »

Aw. Saw this in my Recent Unread Topics, and assumed it was a General Discussion thread. :(

...Anyways. Recent FotF certainly implies that magic will be able to have destructive enough effects to majorly inconvenience a whole city. By making everyone there catch on fire.
Awesome thing is that at some point there'll be a remote camera which will allow you to watch it all happen in realtime.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 06:54:02 am »

Awesome thing is that at some point there'll be a remote camera which will allow you to watch it all happen in realtime.
Or you can watch it from adventure mode.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 07:28:29 am »

I wouldn't get my hopes up, the system could end up being very basic and robust (like what we've got for strategic map attack, defense and diplomacy) or very buggy like what we have for morale and sanity.

Also all the interesting interactions that are going to come out of the magic system are likely going to be unexpected and unpredictable, like a raccoon stealing a book of magic and almost dying to a lumberjack, who then proceeds to read the book and polymorph his unfaithful wife and her lover into cactuses, which causes the game to crash because one cactus spawns in the same square that had the original raccoon in it, invisible.
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 07:48:58 pm »

Creatures can definitely share the same tile, though.

(Who am I, a wannabe Adam Conover?)
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!