Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Battle Brothers - Sellsword simulator [Update #8]  (Read 12047 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Battle Brothers - Sellsword simulator [Update #8]
« on: September 14, 2018, 09:51:05 am »

Feeling like doing a new LP and I'm in a medieval mood so I'm going to do Battle Brothers

It's a turn based tactical RPG where we are a mercenary company in a low fantasy world. There are undead and orcs and whatnot, but magic is rare and we don't walk around with wizards and clerics casting spells or anything. What we have is a bunch of guys with swords and spears trying to earn a living in a harsh world. And, more often than not, dying in the process. But as long as we have a few warriors left the Company can go on and try to rebuild.

I should note that I am not good at this game yet, and my longest lived company survived about 40 days. So...it's more about the story along the way than the inevitable grave we're going to end up in. But that's ok, losing is fun!

My plan for this LP is to mostly run it myself with some reader input. You can claim soldiers, help with the general direction of the group, and can give input on various decisions the game has us make as we wander around doing missions to make money.

I will be playing on Veteran Combat & Economy, with High starting funds and Ironman mode enabled. I do have the Battle Sisters mod installed so we can have female soldiers (though the game does not recognize them as such) should anyone want one.

To start, you can help me Name the Company and choose a Banner for it.

Spoiler: Banners (click to show/hide)

There is also a Black crow on a gray background that isn't in that list. There may be one or two others that I couldn't find images of, but that's most of the options.

The Last Loyalists Mercenary Company

Day: 24
Renown: Reliable
Honor: Neutral (Acting Honorably)

Spoiler: Claimed Soldiers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Soldier Requests (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Fallen (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 10:23:10 am by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

NickAragua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Brothers - Sellsword simulator [LP]
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 11:21:05 am »

Name: Bloody Steel
Banner: The one with the flail and dagger on it.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 11:29:19 am »

Banner:
the King who cut his head off

Name:
The Last Loyalists

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 07:42:46 pm »

Banner:
the King who cut his head off

Name:
The Last Loyalists

+1
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 07:52:48 pm »

Soldiers

Before we start I figured I'd talk a bit about our soldiers and how I do things.

When we hire people in towns, they'll come with a backround. Different backgrounds have different bonuses or penalties to various stats. Recruits with better backgrounds will be more expensive, and may come with better gear (making them even more expensive). They also cost more per day. But regardless, they all have a random range for their stats at 1st level so some will just flat out be better for one task or another than others. Some just suck at everything.

So to keep all that straight, I use a naming system to categorize each merc into their job. Those with good potential in a given job are labeled as such, and at level 5 I name each soldier based on what they have become.

As troops level up they gain Perks which help them to specialize. I have a few general builds I go by for each Job type.

Tier 0
Grunt: If all else fails, they get labeled a grunt. Grunts are generally used as disposable front-line troops. I don't throw them away if I don't have to, but if someone needs to go to a bad spot, I try to use a grunt for the job. A few will survive long enough and get lucky enough rolls on level ups to reach a Tier 1 job.

Tier 1
Tier 1 troops are solid members of the company. Probably not fit for the end-game, but I've never been there yet so I try to take care of these.
Shieldman: Need good fatigue, resolve, and defensive skills. Nice if they have good melee attack and HP. Their main job is to block incoming attacks and keep the enemies from getting to the back line troops.
Archer: Need good ranged skills and preferably good fatigue and ranged defense. Obviously, these are our primary ranged combatants.
Pikeman: Back line offensive troops who need high melee attack skill. Everything else is mostly a bonus for them. Their job is to do massive single hits against enemies, as well as push/pull people around to create opportunities for us.
Skirmisher: Mixed use troops who have good Melee and Ranged skill. They are have both melee and ranged weapons, and usually have support items as well such as nets and attack dogs. They fill in whatever role I need at the time, and are often used to draw away enemies or chase down enemy archers.

Tier 2
The best units will be Tier 2. Most people we get early on in the game won't even be flagged as having potential for this, but our starting 3 and the occasional lucky rolled recruit will. We want to keep these people alive as long as possible since at high levels they can carry a fight.
Soldier/[Weapon]man: Tier 2 Front line troops. They have excellent defenses, resolve, and fatigue and at higher levels may specialize in specific weapon types.
Marksman: Tier 2 Ranged troops. With exceptional Ranged attack skill Marksmen should be able to hit just about any target reliably.
Lancer: Tier 2 Polearm/Greatweapon troops. Very high Melee attack skill makes them one of the primary damage dealers of our Company.
Ranger: Tier 2 Hybrid troops, should be effective at any range and nearly any role. Probably the most diverse role as far as builds go, since there are many combinations they can go in depending on what gear we pick up as we go.

The game uses a Name & Title system, but since it just shows Name on the battlefield I do Job and then Name. I don't generally care which person it is, I just care about what Job they have so I know what to expect from them.

As far as customization goes, we're a bit limited. You can pick a basic look (Face, Hair color & cut, beard, body type), but most of that won't matter as soon as we start wearing heavier armor.

Since I have the Battle Sisters mod in place there is 1 Female head (out of 20) and one Female body (out of 4). If a merc has either that is Female I make them Female, otherwise they are Male. This is easily changed at a barber shop, though, so it's no big deal if we want to swap things around later. Fortunately, barber shops are free to use.

If you want to claim a soldier, feel free. Just let me know what Name you want to use, how you want them to look (in general), and you can plot out a Perk progression for them if you like. You can also let me know what Role you'd like them to be in, though I may overrule that if their stats suck for the role (or if they have great stats for some other role).

Timewise, I'll get this started tomorrow. So anyone who wants to vote on the Company Name/Banner has about 12 hours or so to do so. I'll go through the first tutorialish part of the game in the first posting, and then we can go from there.

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 11:23:13 am »

Well, it's probably too late anyway, but this is basically just a PTW anyway, right?

Banner:
Three Axes
Company:
Northmen Guard
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 11:58:03 am »

Very well, we are The Last Loyalists Mercenary Company.

Spoiler: Setup (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The World (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Survivors (click to show/hide)

That's it for a start. If anyone wants to claim a soldier to customize, let me know. Otherwise, I'll just do as I have been. Once we get to a town with a Barber shop we can do actual customizations, and Thora will probably lose her fake beard.

Oh, yes, one other thing we should decide now. Are we an Honorable or Dishonorable mercenary company? This will effect what choices I make in the various events that pop up in the game, which in turn eventually makes a difference in the types of missions we are offered.

So, for example, if we are hired to go retrieve some stolen item from some brigands and are offered more money from someone else to give it to them instead of the person who hired us, would we honor our contract or take the money?
Come play Mafia with us!

NickAragua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Brothers - Sellsword simulator [Update #1]
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 01:08:33 pm »

I'd vote honorable. Unless somebody screws us over, then no mercy.

I'll take over Kurt with his 0% bandana and apparent love of "axing" people questions. Think I'll keep the name though.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2018, 01:13:41 pm »

I'd vote honorable. Unless somebody screws us over, then no mercy.

I agree, and I would take Wilhelmina. Her fighting name shall be Storm from now on.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2018, 01:53:14 pm »

I, too, vote honorable, and will snag Gernot the archer.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2018, 05:27:43 pm »

Spoiler: Time to find more work (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: To Battle! (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Aftermath (click to show/hide)

Come play Mafia with us!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Brothers - Sellsword simulator [Update #2]
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2018, 06:45:34 pm »

Wow. Sometimes this game just loves to beat you up, doesn't it?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2018, 04:21:18 am »

Umm, good thing Storms brother is a caravan guard that wants to revenge her! Our parents preferred girls though, and called him Breeze.

NickAragua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2018, 08:29:09 am »

After spending some time talking to Grunt Thilmann, it actually turns out that he has a lisp, and his name is "Silmann". How awkward.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4