Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Werebeast Monster Mayhem  (Read 1733 times)

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Werebeast Monster Mayhem
« on: September 14, 2018, 04:22:05 pm »

Here's the plan folks.

Trap an invading army between bridges. The bridges voltronize into an arena. I figure I need 9 or 16 maximum width bridges for this.

There's multiple temples in the arena, each with 2 or more statues and each dedicated to a different god. Visitors welcome. Out of coincidence or possibly convenience, there is also a mass grave inside the arena, containing the worldly remains of previous home invaders. Maybe Snikkit can solve his own brother's murder ten minutes before the lord curses him with chinchilla form. (I suspect death by violence)

So let's find out which god makes the most bitching werebeasts, and also if different werebeasts cursed by different gods are hostile to each-other. One arena, two monsters per team, and all the bystanders you can ask for.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
Re: Werebeast Monster Mayhem
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 05:18:14 pm »

How do you get werebeasts from this?

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 05:36:01 pm »

Toppling statues in temples triggers a curse. And different gods give different curses. Only one way to find out which god gives the elephant.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 06:02:43 pm »

You, sir, have earned the Current Dorfiest Plan award.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 06:52:46 pm »

I have conducted fort-mode werebeast creation experiments involving captured invaders.

I have no had success with getting them to smash statues on their own or in making them destroy them en-masse via pressure plate. (that is, they never end up with a curse)

I am extremely interested in your results, sir.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 08:14:36 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 08:13:39 pm »

And different gods give different curses. Only one way to find out which god gives the elephant.

Are you sure? In my experience using wild trolls you only need to find a deity which will curse someone for desecrating it's temple as some will not. Once the statue is toppled the game randomly chooses from one of the vampire type curses or one of the werebeast type curses. Saving and reloading will get you a different curse. I've gotten werewombats, werebuffalo and werepanthers all from the same god. I'm not sure what decides what animals can be werebeast types but there's a number of potential werebeast types set during world generation, a pocket world generates ten types a large one 26. So that's between 10 and 26 chances default to get the wereelephant but the possibility that your world doesn't have the werebeast type you're looking for exists. I once had a small world populated almost entirely by varieties of wererodents and lizards. You can set the maximum werebeast types up to 1000 in advanced world generation.

Either way this setup of yours sounds like it will work for sure on invader building destroyers and anything that can be driven into tantruming. Looking forward to your results.

Senator Jim Death

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 12:16:21 am »

Dwarf fortress gods are weird. They don't seem to respond to prayer and don't require sacrifice or any of the traditional things gods seem to appreciate. But they really, really value statues. Sure, you can wander through the halls and manually geld every priest (or impulse or spoon or whatever silly title the god's priests have taken) who crosses your path, make off with the reliquaries (if there were such things), and wash off the blood in the presumably-holy water, but Plump Helmet Jesus help you if you commit the irredeemable sin of temporarily displacing a blob of rock that Ubo Crossedstreams hammered into what looks sorta like an elephant. You kinda have to hold your a head a little to the side when you look at it, but it's really an elephant!

Since they're gods, it of course doesn't matter what the statue represents or what it's made out of, even if it has nothing to do with their spheres. If it's a sculpted image captured by hammering or chiseling in a permanent medium, and if it is erected in an arbitrarily-defined rectangle of space dedicated to that god, then that god will become CAPSLOCK PISSED if that statue ever gets knocked over. The gods are like, "hey we all really appreciate art, you know, and that guy worked hard on that electrum statue of two fox-women who are kneeling beside the horse and making lascivious gestures. He put a lot of feeling and emotion into it. Or he wanted to make money--either way, it's an important artistic expression. Thou shalt not tip it over on pain of lycanthropy or therianthropy or whatever the hell this curse is called. You'll turn into a ravenous red panda at the full moon if you mess with my statue, 'stand?"

I imagine the first werebeasts in a world come from drunken priests trying and failing to set up new statues. Here's two or three dorks stumbling over each other as they chain-and-tackle up that chrystobalite statue of a grid bug some asshole left on their doorstep. "Well, it's here, so we'd better get it set up. Snodgras, if you drop that rope, the Lord Steel-Belted Radials of Pantywasting as my witness I swear I'll--" and before he finishes someone vomits, Snodgras slips in it and suddenly it's all Night of the Werellama or Wereopossum or Werepeachfacedlovebird, depending on how spiteful your god's RNG is feeling that moment.
If it's not trying to be fun, it's not trying to be a video game.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 12:33:53 am »

It's not just statues, btw. You can skip on them and find the built instruments you left in for performances also count.

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 05:50:36 am »

Too bad the invaders won't play while they're trapped, terrified and starving. I mean starving in a general sense since goblins are immortal.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 10:04:11 am »

PTW
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 12:31:51 pm »

Still waiting on the next invasion, the goblins haven't committed anything for more than a year...

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 12:38:33 pm »

Still waiting on the next invasion, the goblins haven't committed anything for more than a year...

If you raid them, they raid back fairly quickly.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2018, 04:47:15 pm »

The plan in action:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Note that the real design is going to have a roof, since the occasional goblin sieves through before getting nailed by hunters. If anyone transforms into a cat or a bat, whatever happens happens.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 04:57:06 pm by Adequate Swimmer »

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2018, 04:52:05 pm »

double post, delete at leisure
Pages: [1] 2